Choose style:

Author Topic: Is Linux on the Road to Perdition?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Is Linux on the Road to Perdition?
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:50:50 am »
Sometimes, when we discuss systemd, or Linux' problems with Secure Boot, I wonder what the future holds for our interesting distribution, and for Linux OS in general.  Is Linux on the road to perdition, or are we just undergoing a new a phase of transformation?

This article by Joel Hruska of ExtremeTech, entitled Linux’s worst-case scenario: Windows 10 makes Secure Boot mandatory, locks out other operating systems explores how Windows 10 will most likely make things even more difficult for Linux and BSD users than what we're already experiencing with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. right now.

You know with Peppermint's thousands of aficionados, we're almost certain to have millions of opinions!  ;D   

What do you think?  :-\

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/201722-linuxs-worst-case-scenario-microsoft-makes-secure-boot-mandatory-locks-out-other-operating-systems
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Is Linux on the Road to Perdition?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:09:53 am »
Interesting read but I wouldn't worry about it.  Whatever one man can invent another man can circumvent.  The elite Linux gurus will be all over this thing.  In fact, they probably already are.  So, be of good cheer....the sky isn't falling....yet.  Har!  8)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »
Good evening,  mac,

I know I want our Windows 7 laptop computers to last as long as they can.  I can't imagine buying a new computer now and trying to put Linux on it.   Seems to me there's just one road block after another these days in order to simply run the OS of one's choice.

The elite Linux gurus will be all over this thing.  In fact, they probably already are.  So, be of good cheer....the sky isn't falling....yet.  Har!  8) --mac

I'm sure you're right.  There's too much at stake.

And thank you for the good cheer this morning.  I needed it!  ;)

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »
Hi perknh, I imagine that here in Europe, the law would not allow computers to sold in this configuration.  We have very strict anti monopoly legislation to control this type of corporate bullying  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:21:01 pm »
Linux can already handle secure boot .. it's just a pain in the *** and not well implemented/understood.

But rest assured if it becomes a problem it WILL be solved .. indeed the fact that it is currently only an annoyance for "some" people means it has only been given limited resources to solve .. maybe we NEED it to become a BIG problem so it gets the attention it requires and is dealt with once and for all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:23:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:59 am »
.. maybe we NEED it to become a BIG problem so it gets the attention it requires and is dealt with once and for all.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only time when people begin to address an issue.  And this issue will have to be addressed.

..here in Europe, the law would not allow computers to sold in this configuration.  We have very strict anti monopoly legislation to control this type of corporate bullying  -- AndyInMokum

Here this would be considered, and called, by many in Congress, and certain mouthpieces in the press, governmental overreach!   Our Supreme Court has given corporations personhood -- meaning that corporations now have the same rights that are given to individuals.  Of course I know of no individuals who possess these two particular characteristics I find only within mega corporations -- the ability to throw unlimited resources at both legal and political processes, and the ability to essentially live forever.   No, over here, on this side of the big pond, many large corporations are nothing less than superpersons!

Why, AndyInMokum,  you suggesting that one lowly little individual should be able to use Linux on one's desktop without corporate interference?   Why,AndyInMokum, that idea sounds positively unAmerican --these days!!  :o

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:58:53 am by perknh »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:24:04 am »
It will be very interesting to see what develops here.

Don't loose hope yet.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:41 am »
Here this would be considered, and called, by many in Congress, and certain mouthpieces in the press, governmental overreach!

Well that's because your government is no longer "for the people" .. they're job is *supposed* to be to enforce the common good, where unfair monopolies aren't .. simplez :)

"Government of the peopple, by the corporations, for the corporations" doesn't make such a good sound-bite though .. Lincoln would be ashamed :))

[EDIT]

Don't for one minute I think I consider ours is any better .. just in this single respect maybe.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:10:20 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:11:40 am »
The world of Linux is getting more interesting by the day, and I don't want to miss the show.

Thanks, 10i, I'm going to hang in here.

Smart money goes on Linux' elite gurus!  ;)

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:32 pm »
As I said, UEFI and secure boot was solved a long time ago .. it just needs tidying and simplifying.

Arch Linux loading via "shim" (from Ubuntu) in UEFI Secure Boot mode

If Microsoft are going to be giving Win10 away free to Win7 owners .. they can't exactly "require" UEFI and secure boot  :-\

So it could only apply to Microsoft "certification" .. and I'm not convinced hardware OEM's are so willing to bend over backwards for the "windows certified" sticker any more anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:07:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:56:45 am »
I seem to remember this concern about Windows 8. That OS had an option to turn off secure boot, but Windows 10 might not. But what I've been reading common distros such as Ubuntu have worked with Microsoft to get their bootloaders signed. So things should be fine.