Author Topic: install with 256M memory  (Read 1887 times)

Offline drumanart

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Five
install with 256M memory
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:57:23 am »
Hello,
I plan to use an old PC with only 256M of memory for a personal alarm system.
I made an boot USB device using Peppermint-5-20140623-i386.iso.

The USB boots to the initial menu but hangs afterwards.

Is 256M to little memory to install the OS?

Thanks Martin

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: install with 256M memory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:07 am »
Yes I doubt if the installer would work in 256MB RAM

But the problem might be that the CPU doesn't support PAE .. do you know what the CPU is ?

You might want to try Peppermint 3 32bit .. it was lighter (slightly) than 4 and 5, and  had a non-PAE kernel .. but I still think you're stretching things with just 256MB, you may be better off with a true lightweight such as Puppy
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline drumanart

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Five
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:54:16 am »
Thanks,
I see it is better to give a try to a  Puppy version then.

Martin

rjm65

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:01 am »
Antix MX14 has both pae and non pae installs, and I am running it on a old machine with 128 megs ram...  However after install, I go into the metapackages area, and install LXDE desktop environment, that cuts down its memory usage a lot...  and still looks and feels like peppermint....    ;)

rjm65

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:32:18 am »
I also should add these facts about antix, when you run the installer they give you the option to turn a lot of stuff off you may or may not need, before installing I would sign up to their forum and ask them what you don't need...  I was able to turn a lot of stuff off during the install after speaking to some people on their forum, and my install boots up using only 45 megs of ram...  If you can get yours booting the same way with 256 megs of ram total, you will be in a lot better shape then i was having a max of 128 megs in that old laptop of mine...  :)

My toshiba was built in 1996 it has 64 megs soldered to the mboard and one microdim slot to add to it which had 64 in it total 128megs ram I since bought the max chip of 128 for my slot and replaced the 64 m chip with a 128 m chip so it is maxed out at 192megs ram...  When it boots using 45megs ram i still have about 150 left which is not enough to run firefox properly, however i did find a low end browser that worked on it....  so it can still be used to surf the web but not much more then that...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:36:59 am by rjm65 »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:40 am »
Hi drumanart

I would definitely recommend Puppy (which also has a non PAE version), I installed it on an old laptop (Tahrpup) with only 256mb ram and I was amazed at how well it ran even you tube videos ran smoothly, it turned an otherwise useless laptop into a very capable machine

Anyway good luck whichever way you decide to go

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation