Choose style:

Author Topic: LXLE Linux  (Read 2466 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
LXLE Linux
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with this distro?  It's based on Lubuntu and it reminds me of Peppermint with more Glitz!
I've tested it a bit and it seems nice although not as stable as Peppermint.  Thanks.  Jeff

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: LXLE Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:45:33 am »
Hi jlschwartz

I have LXLE running on an old Dell laptop, previously I was running Peppermint 3 which is beginning a little dated now the main reason I switched to LXLE is that they offer a non pae version which allowed me to have a more current OS running on that old laptop

I don't use the laptop much but I like it I haven't noticed any performance drop against Peppermint 3  and so far it's been very stable. it comes with a lot of preinstalled software (too much for my liking) but it's no big deal to uninstall what you don't want, it also has a great selection of wallpapers to choose from

So overall I like LXLE but one trivial thing annoys the hell out of me is I have 2 network icons on the panel it's probably a simple matter to correct that I've just never looked into it.

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline XavyAir

• View Profile
    • XavyAir -Tumblr
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6 64-bit
Re: LXLE Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:38 am »
I had LXLE 12.04.2 installed in my sister's aspire one netbook, She absolutely loved it
she loved the fact the it was fast, compared to windows 7 stater (that thing took 80% RAM on a cold boot, while LXLE took quite around 19%) and the wallpapers are just lovely, I preferably didn't like the application launcher it came with, I prefer Synapse, but it looks hideous in Openbox, but the fact is that LXLE is quite a beautiful distro right out of the box is something I like. unfortunately the windows partition messed up the whole disk, and practically killed it, just months before Peppermint 5 came out, so I had no chance to test it just yet, it is sitting somewhere, I will change the hard drive for and ssd and install Peppermint OS 5 first thing, but I am waiting on SSDs to become a bit cheaper....

I had tested the 2 distros on my old laptop, and I got to say Peppermint feels faster, and the 2 take about the same RAM, but I like Peppermint more due to the window manager, it looks way better than openbox, and also minimalist, so I don't have to uninstall like a gazillion amount of applications........