Author Topic: Still Using WinXP?  (Read 30914 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Still Using WinXP?
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 05:38:11 am »
Yes, I can g that access to another computer that is connected wirelessly.  So, if I'm getting this right, you'd go for Peppermint 4 first, and then if that doesn't work, you'd go for Peppermint 3. 

I'm taking from our conversation, that is the order in which I should try this try to do things.
I would boot the machine live USB on peppermint 3 and then follow what pcnetspec tells you to do to find out whether you have a PAE processor or not...
then I would still use version 3, only because version 4 is no longer supported... Putting version 4 on your machine right now is the same as installing say windows 2000, or windows 98, or even XP ,you would never do it cause they are not supported, so why would you install an unsupported linux?
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 05:39:57 am »
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration to compare Peppermint 4 with Win2k, XP, etc. .. a valid point though ;)

I'd still consider Peppermint 4 secure for a home user (indeed there are people still using Peppermint One without issue) .. where I'd not touch the Windows versions you mention.

BUT

Installing up to date software in Peppermint 4 will become more of a problem as time goes by .. as the repositories can no longer be updated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:49:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2014, 05:47:35 am »
Okay, I got it.

No, I can't wait -- wish I could, but I can't.

I'll have Peppermint 3 with me, and we'll decide today when my next visit will be.  When I know that, we can decide which of the Peppermints I should install.   rjm65, don't worry, I'm leaning towards 3 right now. 

And thank you, PCNetSpec for that important link.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2014, 05:50:41 am »
As always, you're most welcome :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2014, 05:54:41 am »
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration to compare Peppermint 4 with Win2k, XP, etc. ;)
Well maybe a bit, but if I had a choice of unsupported 4 or a supported till 2017 version 3, I would take 3 every time.
If The machine is PAE capable I would let it sit and wait for pep 5, if he can't wait well his choices are pep3 if he wants to stay with peppermint or find another distro that has their version out already like linux mint for example or Lubuntu itself...   :)
I had to switch on my one machine because i had NON PAE and i figured why wait for pep 5 when it won't work for me on this machine...
I went with Solyd X  on that machine and the first thing I installed on it was the LXDE Desktop Environment....  Solyd X is a rolling distro, so no need to worry about whether it is supported or not...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:26 am »
You might .. but the lady might appreciate the "pretties" of Peppermint 4 ;)

I suppose it depends on whether at some point it can be updated to Peppermint 5, and the ladies priorities.

As a side note - it seems the HP 061 has an Anthlon XP 3000+ CPU, so should be supported by PAE kernels such as those in Peppermint 4 and 5.
But Laptops from that era were usually lacking in RAM .. so Peppermint 3 may be a better option.

I certainly wouldn't want to run Mint 17 on an Athlon XP based laptop...

As for looking at different distros .. I get the feeling perknh likes the support and community around here ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:14:35 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 06:28:31 am »
As for looking at different distros .. I get the feeling perknh likes the support and community around here ;)
Yes the support here is great compared to others, I still have an unanswered question on mint board after 4 months and 167 views not a single reply...
However Solyd X and Antix I must admit have decent forums as well... But I still prefer Peppermint as an OS of choice, because with the other two aforementioned Distros I have to install LXDE, for they do not come with LXDE as a choice DE....  Solyd x and antix MX14 both use XFCE DE by default... The Only Difference between those two and Peppermint is they are both rolling Distros rather then LTS...  That is after you install LXDE it is hard to see a difference in the the way the 3 operate at least IMO for I don't do much except play games and go online and surf....   ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:31:33 am by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2014, 07:36:46 am »
We taste nicer .. wouldn't want to suck on a SolydX, or Antix ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2014, 07:51:02 am »
We taste nicer .. wouldn't want to suck on a SolydX, or Antix ;)
LOL    ::)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 06:13:23 am »
I figure the same thing, Mac.  You should have seen that computer.  Every 5 to 10 minutes,  the antivirus was popping up to block this threat or that threat.  It didn't stop.  Then, there were were several tool bars on the computer I had never seen before.  And there were over 24, 000 compressed files I could never seem to clear out of the machine, nor could I de-frag the computer properly either.  That's why I put the computer back to its default state.  I wanted to wipe that crap out of there before I installed Peppermint on top of all that junk.  I just forgot about the pre-Windows 7 days, when you needed a supplemental DVD for Windows drivers too.   Anyway, these old drivers are no longer to be found for that machine unless you sign up to some really questionable sites.   

I don't really care about those old XP drivers anyway.  I just want an Internet connection for Peppermint -- nothing more.  Nothing could be worse than an unsupported XP machine now.  What I witnessed was a nightmare unfolding before eyes.  If I can connect to the Internet through Peppermint 4 today, I'll be a very happy camper.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:41:55 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
Well, my friends of Peppermint, my Windows XP story continues. I all but put Peppermint 4 on that old infested XP computer a couple of days ago when the unthinkable happened.  The USB keyboard on that old computer, for the vision impaired, was only Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 compatible.  Yep, it all ended there for me.  But today, at WalMart, I've found a gaming computer keyboard with these specs:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

My best guess it would work for Peppermint 5 -- what would be yours?

Also, when installing Peppermint, it says it would be best to have an Internet connection.  Well, the modem says there's an Internet connection, but of course, I'm between installations, so what I have currently is a black screen connected to nothing.

I'm making the assumption that if I can type in all that I need in order to install Peppermint 5 -- computer name, username, password, etc. --  then all will work out for me, and the drivers within Peppermint 5 will connect the computer again to the Internet.

What do you think, veteran Peppermints?  Will this keyboard probably work for the visually impaired? And will it probably work for Linux?  And, then, will Peppermint 5's drivers probably connect to the Internet as Windows XP's previously had?

I know we're just making guesses here.  Any wrong assumptions are permitted!

I think I can pull this one off, but what roadblocks I have had trying to install Linux on that old malware ridden XP machine!   ::)

Thank you everyone,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2014, 11:41:56 am »
Yes, I'd expect that keyboard to work.

What do you mean by "modem" .. do you mean "router" ? .. how is the PC attached to this "modem", ethernet cable/wireless/USB cable ?

Does the LiveCD/LiveUSB boot to a working desktop .. can you set up an internet connection in the "Live" session ?
(if so, then use the "Install Peppermint" icon on the desktop and that internet connection will be used)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:49:15 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
... how is the PC attached to this "modem", ethernet cable/wireless/USB cable ?
-- PCNetSpec

Yes, it's connected to a modem with an Ethernet cable, and there is a router coming off the modem for a wireless Windows 7 computer -- the one computer there that is still working fine.   

PCNetSpec, I'm more optimistic than ever now that I'll be able to install Peppermint to that old XP computer, but this time I'm going to wait for Peppermint 5's release.

I'm sure we'll be seeing it soon.   :)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:26:15 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2014, 12:47:57 pm »
If it's connected by ethernet cable it HIGHLY likely the internet will "just work" ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
-- PCNetSpec

PCNetSpec, you've got that right.  I tell everyone who will listen, that the support community of a Linux distribution is every bit as important as the distribution itself.

Peppermint is unrivaled.  We have the best Linux distribution, and we have the best community and support forum around -- bar none!

:)

perknh