Choose style:

Author Topic: Still Using WinXP?  (Read 26901 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Still Using WinXP?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »
Good one, _tuter!

:D

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline _tuter

• 18 yrs old - Distro Hopper - Peppermint Lover
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6!!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »
Seriously!!!

Sent from my LG-MS695 using Tapatalk 2
:) _tuter :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:16 pm »
Veterans of Peppermint, I have a question.

I have and old XP computer I'm working on, that has its default XP program, but I has no drivers to connect to the Internet.

If I put Peppermint 4 on this computer, will I then have the right drivers, by default, to connect to the Internet?

I can't get my mitts on the XP drivers that I need for this XP computer, and I really don't want them anyway.  I just need an Internet connection.

Let me just say it was a bad day for me today playing with this old XP computer.  I hope that Peppermint 4 will come to the rescue tomorrow.  I've never tried putting Peppermint, or any Linux distribution, on a computer that did not have an Internet connection.  I'm not sure what to expect.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

After the day I've had today, rjm65's words seem so wise to me: it's time for a few Farley's Rusks and a beer!

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »
Hi perknh,
Sorry you're having such a bad day.  Are you trying for a wired or wireless connection?  If you can connect the computer to your modem / router via ethernet cable and boot the P4 CD your internet connection should be good to go.  Connecting wirelessly can be a bit more involved.  P5 should be out really soon so you might want to wait for that as P4 will receive no more security updates.  Or, if you can't wait, you might want to consider P3 (still supported).  Either way, IMHO, you should ditch XP altogether.  Good luck  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 01:04:10 am »
Mac, thanks for getting back to me.  It will be an Ethernet connection, so I'm knocking on wood.  We don't have access to Peppermint 3 downloads any longer, so I guess we'll all have to rough it out for a few more days.  This is from the official Peppermint OS page:

http://peppermintos.com/

I could put Xubuntu on my friend's computer instead of Peppermint 4.  I hope it's not that much of a risk for a few days.  They need their computer up and running.

My wife and I have been using Peppermint 4 for some time now -- on two computers.  We've noticed no problems.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I really appreciate it.  I'm more hopeful now.

perknh

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 05:44:41 am »
Truth is you're better off with an unsupported P4 than you would be with a fully supported XP anyway, IMHO.  P4 should be okay for now and you can "upgrade" when P5 is released (or go with P3 when the site opens back up).   :)
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 05:49:22 am »
I can upload the Peppermint 3 32bit respin ISO (Peppermint-3-20121105-i386.iso) to my VPS and provide a link if that'll help ?
(for PC's that can't run a PAE kernel)

If your PC can run a PAE enabled kernel (so can run Peppermint 4), Peppermint 5 is probably only days away now so you'd probably be better of waiting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:07:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 06:06:16 am »
I can upload the Peppermint 3 32bit respin ISO (Peppermint-3-20121105-i386.iso) to my VPS and provide a link if that'll help ?

Classy!
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:04 am »
Thank you, Mac, and PCNetSpec,

It's a legacy computer -- very, very old.  It's an HP 061 -- if my memory serves me right.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
You two should have seen that computer.  Every 5 to 10 minutes, the antivirus was popping up to block this threat or that threat.  It didn't stop.  Then, there were were several tool bars on the computer I had never seen before.  And there were over 24, 000 compressed files I could never seem to clear out of the machine, nor could I de-frag the computer properly either.  That's why I put the computer back to its default state.  I wanted to wipe that crap out of there before I installed Peppermint on top of all that junk.  I just forgot about the pre-Windows 7 days, when you needed a supplemental DVD for Windows drivers too.   Anyway, these old drivers are no longer to be found for that machine, unless you sign up to some really questionable sites.   

I don't really care about those old drivers anyway.  I just want an Internet connection for Peppermint -- nothing more.  Nothing could be worse than an unsupported XP machine now.  What I witnessed was a nightmare unfolding before eyes.  If I can connect to the Internet through Peppermint 4 today, I'll be a very happy camper.
[close]
PCNetSpec, if you think putting Peppermint 3 on that old computer, instead of 4, would make a difference, I'll do it.  But, if you think these senior citizens can get by with Peppermint 4, as my wife and I seem to be doing, I'll let well enough alone.  You should know I could never get P3 to work on my computer here.  That's why we're running 4.

I'll do what you say.  I can bring two flash drives to that old computer, one with P3, the other with P4 -- just in case one doesn't work.  Waiting is not an option.  They need that computer up and working.  I'd prefer waiting, but I can't.

By the way, I don't know what a PAE kernel is, or if that computer can run one.

Thank you both.

perknh

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:41:44 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2014, 06:42:16 am »
In my opinion, if it'll run a PAE kernel then waiting for Peppermint 5 would probably be best.

If it *won't* run a PAE kernel, then Peppermint 4 won't work on it either and your only (Peppermint) option is Peppermint 3

Nothing wrong with Peppermint 3 though .. it's rock solid, and will still receive updates till 2017 :)

If the PC is elsewhere (so you're not sure about the PAE thing), yeah best to also take a Peppermint 3 copy with you.

Link to follow shortly (it's uploading now, but uploads are always much slower than downloads).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2014, 06:55:38 am »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I'll install Peppermint 3 to another flash drive, and I'll begin there first.  If it connects that computer to the Internet, that's where we'll stay until Peppermint 5 comes out.

When Peppermint 5 comes out, I want to put Plank on their computer.  I want to make it as user-friendly as I can.

PCNetSpec, would you know, off the top of your head, whether or not the instructions you gave me for installing Plank on P4 will work the same for P3?  If so, I'll put Plank on their computer today.

Thank you very, very much.

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:01 am »
Peppermint 3 respin (32bit) -

The Peppermint-3-20121105-i386.iso ISO image can be downloaded here:
http://pcnetspec.co.uk/peppermint3/

MD5 Checksum:-

05157d6dbd4ab7953870e9ee308a70a5
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:58:11 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:12 am »
Plank ... no I doubt if they'll work for Peppermint 3, they'd probably need some modifications, but we'd have to figure that out on the fly.

If you must use Peppermint 3, can you not get access to the PC whilst we figure it out ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 08:27:30 am »
Yes, I can g that access to another computer that is connected wirelessly.  So, if I'm getting this right, you'd go for Peppermint 4 first, and then if that doesn't work, you'd go for Peppermint 3. 

I'm taking from our conversation, that is the order in which I should try this try to do things.

Well, this will take me hour an hour or so for me to get there -- maybe two with the download.   I'll start getting things moving.

Right now I'm going to download Peppermint 3, while still at home.

Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I'm going armed for bear!

I really appreciate this, and so doesn't the woman for whom you have helped so much.

She is overjoyed.   ;)

Thank you, PCNetSpec.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:05 am »
What I'm saying is

a) check if Peppermint 4 will run from a LiveCD/LiveUSB .. if it does, go to (b) .. if it doesn't go to (d)

b) if it does .. wait for Peppermint 5 if you can

c) if it MUST be installed prior to the release of Peppermint 5, and is unlikely to get an upgrade any time soon .. go for Peppermint 3

d) if (a) fails .. install Peppermint 3

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec