Choose style:

Author Topic: Still Using WinXP?  (Read 25887 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Still Using WinXP?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:18 am »
Win7 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better OS than XP ???

Compatibility issues aside, I really don't get why anyone would prefer XP .. probably just the "getting used to it" thing.

You wanna see "horrible" .. try Win8  :o
Funny I was going to say the same thing I ran XP up until I found out the machine I bought that had xp on it was 64 bit processor... so i filled it up with the max 8 gigs ram, and installed vista 64 bit and was extremely happy for a year, then upgraded that to windows 7 and I am still happy with my decision... My machine has never edited videos, or ran so smoothly like it does now...  Under XP editing a video was a hit or miss thing, and the voices would not match the lips moving...  Under windows 7 everything is perfect in videos....   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 11:36:29 am »
installed vista 64 bit and was extremely happy for a year
??? Uh, you're kidding, right?  ???
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
installed vista 64 bit and was extremely happy for a year
??? Uh, you're kidding, right?  ???
Nope Vista 64 bit was a much nicer experience then XP, I never had any problems with vista but I no longer use it.... 
My machines are either running windows 7 or they are running linux, my wife and kid use linux daily to go online and play games and such in facebook and surf the web...  I still run my windows 7 tower on a daily basis, only because of programs that I can not replicate under linux at this time, that my business uses.....  :(
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:43 pm »
Had the same problem before I retired.  I was able to use librecad a lot but had to go back to autocad (Win) for 3D.  I also could never find anything for Linux that was comperable to Windows' SketchUp.  Vista, however, was known as Me II in our neighborhood.  Ha!   :D
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 01:17:21 pm »
Had the same problem before I retired.  I was able to use librecad a lot but had to go back to autocad (Win) for 3D.  I also could never find anything for Linux that was comperable to Windows' SketchUp.  Vista, however, was known as Me II in our neighborhood.  Ha!   :D
Well the original Vista sucked, i had so many problems with it i went back to XP, but after sP1 and sp2 it was solid just like win 7 is running sp1.....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 02:39:42 pm »
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Me.  Now that was a shocker  :o !!   
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Me.  Now that was a shocker  :o !!

Glad you were able to forget it.......a lot of us are still trying?  Ha-ha-haaarrrr!   ;D
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »
Vista wasn't too bad (as far as you can say that about ANY Windows) after service pack 2, and all the hardware manufacturers had drivers out .. in fact I think Windows 7 should never have been sold as a "new" OS, it was really (IMHO) just Vista service pack 3.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 05:25:40 pm »
Oh no!  I can't believe you said that!  No Cap'n Crunch for a week.  :D
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 05:30:34 pm »
Only after service pack 2 .. prior to that Vista was awful .. and only relative to Win7

[EDIT]

I also need to add - Only Vista with service pack 2 slipstreamed in.
If you start with an earlier version and attempt to update it to service pack 2 online, something WILL go wrong with some of the updates  ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:35:20 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »
I only ever install Vista sp2 when i install its on the disc already slipstreamed in, and I never had an issue with it, and you are right windows 7 sp1 is basically Vista
sp3 with some extra eye candy.....   8)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »
Win7 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better OS than XP ???

I actually tested the Win7 beta.  1st impression of the UI was... 0.o somebody is trying to make Vista look like a Linux distro.

Haven't used Win7 until recently (they're switching to it at work) and now it doesn't bear any resemblance IMO.

Well, accept that I run the taskbar on the top, like many Linux distros do -- did the same in XP.  So, I guess my Win7 bears a small resemblance. LoL

Hrm... now that I think about it, Peppermint is the only distro I run with the bar on the bottom.  Wonder why that is.  I think it's because LXPanels look pretty bad on the top.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:59:06 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 08:53:39 pm »
Oh yeah .. half the tweaks to Vista that became Win7 were straight out of Compiz .. including their much vaunted but ultimately just plain stolen "Window Snapping".

Surprised Win7 didn't have a desktop cube  ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »
My fellow Pepperminters,

I've read a lot of this thread, and I always thought the best kept secret in the computer world is that somewhere around 90% of the world's servers are either using Unix, or Linux right now as we sitting here and reading and  writing this.  90% folks, that's a lot of traffic.  If this is true, and I believe it is, we have to tell our friends still using Windows, the facts of the matter.  They are already using Linux -- whether they know it or not. (Not to mention Android phones, Android Tablets, or Chromebooks -- all Linux!)

The main problem is, from what I can see, is that Linux was late to the party when it came to desktop environments, but with the exception of the die hard LUI-only enthusiasts,  those days are pretty much over.  Look at Peppermints LXDE.  Look at Manjaro's Xfce.  Or, the most obvious, look at Ubbutu's Unity Desktop, or even Bodhi Linux -- which is absolutely gorgeous, and in development right now.

No, I'd say the DE in Linux is catching up quickly to Windows, and it can be argued is some ways it has already superseded Windows OSs. Microsoft  Windows has just marketed itself brilliantly.  But all of Linux is getting better day by day.  Linux has proven itself more secure than Windows, and the DEs now are very competitive with whatever Windows has to offer.

We have to tell people they are already using Linux: they just don't know it.  Maybe, I suggest, they should try Linux on their own computer.  There really is a Linux DE for everyone out here now.  And I still say Peppermint's version of LXDE is the easiest distro to begin with, and we need to have DistroWatch acknowledge Peppermint as a good beginners OS, as well as an excellent OS for all people at all levels of computer expertise.

It's time us Linux users realize we are already part of the great majority.  The world runs on Linux, and is doing so more and more every day.

This is just my opinion here, folks. And if I'm wrong with my general percentage number concerning Linux or Unix servers, please correct me.

And I know the argument against hardware support within Linux.  But that is catching up very quickly too.

There's my 2 cents worth or wisdom, but I'll share it with you freely -- as a good open source man should!

I am concerned about Flash however.  I don't believe Linux has an open source version of Flash, and Adobe Flash, to the best of my knowledge, is not open source.  I'm quite sure Google's version of Flash is not either.  If Linux does have an open source version of flash, I am unaware of its existence.

And since this thread is supposed to be about Windows XP, I did put Xubuntu on one old Dell XP computer, while we wait for the release of Peppermint 5.  It runs about as fast as the old XP OS did.  It really could use an LXDE touch with Peppermint 5.  I'm pretty sure this will speed the computer up considerably after Peppermint is on that machine.

Only one other couple I know, a senior couple, is still using XP.  Their schedules are tight, and, little by little, they are trying to remove what they want to save from the hard drive.  They, too, are waiting for Peppermint 5's release, but I can't install Xubuntu  for them temporarily as I did for the other XP computer.  It's not that easy there.  I've got one shot at one installation, and I've strongly suggested the best OS for their needs will be Peppermint 5  -- the light, and secure,  99% LTS OS, that is user friendly,, and has an incredible support staff.  Really, what more can you ask for?

But I will be much happier when Windows XP is off their computer.  I know they will be too.

Windows XP is not a good OS to be using right now.

perknh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:28:51 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline _tuter

• 18 yrs old - Distro Hopper - Peppermint Lover
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6!!
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
Alternative to Windows XP....

PicSource

Ahahaha LOL lmfao
:) _tuter :)