Choose style:

Author Topic: Still Using WinXP?  (Read 25805 times)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Still Using WinXP?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 09:22:54 pm »
I wonder if Google's driverless cars run XP?  Oh no :o
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:08 am »
You still harbour the impression/hope that our government is capable of something that doesn't involve corrupt under the table deals

No Mark it was a poor attempt at sarcasm, I'm well aware of the integrity of our government officials  :(
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 05:16:59 am »
I wonder if Google's driverless cars run XP?  Oh no :o

Keep an eye out for sudden and unexplained crashes where the windscreen has turned blue.

Or cars suddenly turning the wrong way up one way streets, chanting "Access Violation" from the speakers .. again with a blue windscreen

And we'll know.

@ emegra

Sorry mate, I rarely miss sarcasm .. I liked to think  was a bit of an armchair expert at sarcasm, maybe I'll need to re-evaluate  :-[
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:23:00 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 05:41:23 am »
Keep an eye out for sudden and unexplained crashes where the windscreen has turned blue.

Or cars suddenly turning the wrong way up one way streets, chanting "Access Violation" from the speakers .. again with a blue windscreen

Or midway across a busy T junction the car suddenly stops with the message Windows has shutdown your system to perform an important security update, this is for your safety because we care 
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:03 am »
I would have liked that .. except for the tiny detail that there will be no more updates for XP ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 07:29:29 am »
I'm Just Saying...

The nice thing about all of this is...

In my workplace, I'm forced to use winders - mostly XP, these days.  We still have some W2K Pro machines that control production equipment, but everything else was stuck in a XP time-warp.

Anyway, I guess they saw the writing on the wall and are in the process of updating 1,000s of workstations to winders 7, which requires new hardware, as well.

I foresee a glut of good used machines hitting the market soon - machines that will fly like the wind on Linux distros, like Peppermint.

If history is any indication, you'll be able to buy some perfectly usable desktop boxes and laptops for pennies on the wholesale dollar. 

Wipe the drive(s) install Peppermint, and call it a day.  I see the demise of XP as a win-win for everyone.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:31:51 am by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:52:02 am »
I foresee a glut of good used machines hitting the market soon - machines that will fly like the wind on Linux distros,

That's the silver lining in this cloud, isn't it?  At least for the Linux world. 
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:30 pm »
Alternative to Windows XP....

PicSource

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:17:36 pm by mac »
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:08 pm »
Alternative to Windows XP....

PicSource

No wonder it takes mac so long to reply look at how old his machine is LOL    :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 01:13:02 pm »
Only reason I'll keep winders XP around is for updating my trusty Netgear PS110 print server .

Netgear, in their infinite wisdom, required the use of a winders app when setting up and/or updating the PS110 firmware. I've yet to discover a workaround.  This app is hopelessly intertwined into the MS network stack.  If there's a way to cheat_the_system, I haven't found it.

Anyway,  another nice thing about XP being orphaned is; i won't have to spend 3 hours installing bug fixes, security updates, and NSA spyware when I occasionally need to boot XP for simple utility purposes.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »
Oh great .. another "necessary" reason to have XP keep an active network stack  ::)

Please disconnect it from ALL networks, and have it ONLY connected to that single device for the duration of the update.

From this point on I consider anyone that networks an XP machine a selfish idiot .. if this number is to be believed:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/01/six_months_end_xp_support/
the last thing the world needs is a 500 MEELLION strong botnet at the command of script kiddies, criminals, and self styled cyber "activists".  ;)

If I could think of a reliable way to do it, I'd ban all XP boxes from the interweb .. it is now a massive potential threat to EVERY networked system, including those owned by people that were responsible enough to ditch it/upgrade it in time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:16:54 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
Oh great .. another "necessary" reason to have XP keep an active network stack  ::)

Please disconnect it from ALL networks, and have it ONLY connected to that single device for the duration of the update.[...]

Oh, yes, absolutely - period.  Exclamation point!  :)

I do it on my kitchen table - laptop - print server - cat5 crossover cable , blah, blah, blah. 

Also, I need to reconfig the IPs, subnet mask, subsetting, and all that rot, just to flash the firmware - then switch everything back, when I'm done,  so the print server will work on my LAN.  It's a giant PITA!  Netgear really screwed_the_pooch on the PS110.  All my other Netgear equipment has a built-in UI , so you can do this stuff via a web browser.  Got no idea what they were thinking, when they came up with this proprietary arrangement.  I'll bet there aren't 1:1000 users that can figure out how to flash/setup a Netgear PS110.

That said, I was still like a moth_to_flame, when it came to updating XP.  It always reaffirmed my loathing for MS products, in some odd way, to update their sorry operating system.

I don't need to fight my conscience any longer - which is a good thing.  R.I.P. XP...

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:44 pm »
From this point on I consider anyone that networks an XP machine a selfish idiot

Well this selfish idiot has just spend the best part of today switching my small business over to Windows 7 and if my experience is anything to go by I can understand why big business and institutions are so reluctant to do it, Windows 7 is quite frankly horrible

And before anyone says "Why not move to Linux " well if there was a Linux version of Quickbooks or a native Linux program that came close I would have and put to rest any dependency I have left with Microsoft

Graeme 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:09:41 pm by emegra »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »
I know how you feel Graeme.  The wife a few days ago bought from her work, her old i5 HP Laptop (4GB RAM and a 160GB HD).  A great machine that's been maintained by the IT Dept.  It was only 50 - sweet   8).  They did a fresh Win7 installation because she needs 3Ds Max and AutoCad stuff.  She also doesn't want the hassle of getting used to new software or, not finding suitable alternatives.  I can understand her concerns too.  She would have had a Linux distro except for that.  I have got her to install Kingsoft Office though. I know its not Open-source but its better than unnecessarily buying MS Office.  I'm just waiting for some more of those lappies at her work to be retired at the end of the month.  I know at least one has my name on it.   ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 07:33:21 am »
Win7 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better OS than XP ???

Compatibility issues aside, I really don't get why anyone would prefer XP .. probably just the "getting used to it" thing.

You wanna see "horrible" .. try Win8  :o
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:36:15 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec