Author Topic: Kernel / Image experiments  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Kernel / Image experiments
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:33:57 am »
Hi everyone,

Mostly out of a combination of curiosity and boredom I decided about a month ago to try installing Linux 3.14.1 on my Dell Inspiron 530 (currently running Peppermint 5, of course!) following the instructions here (and adapting the steps accordingly for 3.14.1). Rather to my surprise everything worked flawlessly. So then today I installed Linux 3.18.5 and ... everything works as before!

Just thought I would post this as general info for the bored and curious. If anyone has any questions about the process, my hardware or whatever then post a reply.

Regards

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Kernel / Image experiments
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:28 am »
Do your homework before making major jumps in kernel versions (even from the Ubuntu mainline PPA), often a newer kernel version will require a newer version of xorg (or possibly other components) to work.

Also be aware that a more recent kernel can break other third party driver modules that you may have loaded.

A more recent kernel can fix an issue you have, but it can also introduce issues you didn't have before.

That said it's usually easy enough to boot the earlier kernel then remove the new one if it breaks anything.
(just don't get uninstalling the original kernel until you're 100% sure you've thoroughly tested the new one)

I guess what I'm saying is there's absolutely nothing to be gained by a more recent kernel, unless it's to address a specific issue you're suffering  .. As with BIOS updates, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", you could just end up in a worse situation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:28:31 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Kernel / Image experiments
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:24:33 am »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I don't use any 3rd party drivers, so nothing to worry about there. I don't have any issues with the most recent 3.13.0 kernel -- I was, as stated, just curious and was looking for something to do.  :P

I use a highly modified grub that makes it easy for me to customize for booting older kernels as well as another OS that I use (ArchBang) to learn Linux. I've learned to keep the last two kernels that worked (in this case both of the last 3.13.0 versions that the repositories gave us during the previous couple of months) just in case an update does not work on my PC.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome