Author Topic: The Sound of Vivaldi Browser is Music to My Ears  (Read 6132 times)

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Re: The Sound of Vivaldi Browser is Music to My Ears
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »
Well I was going to give it a spin, but have uninstalled two system crashes later.  I never got to surf with it, opening the browser settings crashed my system.  Seems it is even more adept at crashing my T61 than Chrome is  >:( 

(Chrome is pretty stable w/ hardware acceleration turned off, but Netflix is useless w/o it)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:32 pm »
Well I was going to give it a spin, but have uninstalled two system crashes later.  I never got to surf with it, opening the browser settings crashed my system.

Hi WallyA,

If you're talking about Vivaldi, I know what you mean.  My computer does not play well with Vivaldi at this time either --but it is still in early development.  But, if you're talking about Opera, there are two versions now -- the old Opera 12.16 (which is 32 bit and is now open source), or the new Opera (stable, beta, or dev), which is only for 64 bit computers at this time.

Of which browser are you referring?

perknh

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »

Hi WallyA,

Of which browser are you referring?

perknh

I was referring to Vivaldi - it is the subject of the thread but I guess I should have been clearer since Opera is also being discussed. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:26:19 pm by WallyA »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
I was referring to Vivaldi - it is the subject of the thread but I guess I should have been clearer since Opera is also being discussed. 

Yes, that's what it sounded like to me, but I wasn't completely certain.

WallyA, I had to uninstall Vivaldi.  Every time I used Vivaldi my screen would go black on me.  Finally I decided I needed to wait for its further development before I tried it again.  I mean, who can work with a black screen?

Right now my wife and I are using both Chromium and Opera.  But PCNetSpec is right; Opera is really a modified Chromium.  So I guess you could say that she and I are just using Chromium in different forms.  I, personally, like the stacking ability of the new Opera, and the way it can be set to show tab previews.  But, I'm not convinced my wife is as charmed with the new Opera as I am.  She looks at Chromium browser as a work horse, while I look at Opera as a work in process.

Vivaldi, believe it or not, is using Chromium's open source project too.  So I guess it's either Firefox or Chromium for most Linux users -- in one form or another.  Still, there's the old Opera browser using Presto as its browser-engine.  I don't know secure it is, but I'm hopeful its development will continue over time.

And, as for Vivaldi, we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks a lot, though.  Interesting as the project is, I can see now I'm not the only person who was having problems with Vivaldi.

perknh

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:53:55 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:38 am »
Good read...

SUMMARY:  Vivaldi, by the original developers of Opera, challenges Chrome with an array of features and modern code. While Spartan browser remains unreleased, users can enable many of its features, including the rendering engine, in the latest build of Windows 10 (build 9926). Users can customize the speed dial by bookmarking a page and adding the link to the speed dial folder.

ARTICLE:  Watch out, Chrome, there's two new browsers in town!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »
Vivaldi: 7 features that give new browser an edge over Chrome, Edge, Opera and Firefox

By Sayan Sarkar for International Business Times

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/vivaldi-7-features-that-give-new-browser-edge-over-chrome-edge-opera-firefox-1554517

I don't know, but I guess I'm not a power user.  Maybe I need to spend more time using Vivaldi, but I seem to prefer the stacking of tiles in Opera to the stacking of tabs anywhere.  I'm not saying that Opera has its act together yet (For instance, the names of the sites on my bookmarks bar have been grayed out for a month now --and that's just one example.), but Opera is improving little by little and it's slowly becoming user-friendly.  The new Vivaldi seems an awfully like an updated version of Opera from yesteryear.  So I guess that's why the Vivaldi folks are calling Vivaldi a modern classic.  ;)

For those who would like to try out Vivaldi Stable.  Here's the link below.  Who knows?  You might like it.  I'd probably use it myself if I could stack the tiles in the Speed Dial as I do right now in Opera.  Vivaldi's advanced settings are easier to configure than Opera's.  In Opera you need to use a silly finger code to get into advanced settings.

Anyway, here's the link to Vivaldi Stable:

https://vivaldi.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:20:55 pm by perknh »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 04:24:57 am »
Hi

Freshly installed Vivaldi and I must say its quite good.  You can use chrome extensions too, will see how it goes for the next week or do I keep opening Firefox :)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 05:06:16 am »
I'm looking forward, zebedeeboss, on hearing how this goes for you.  The last I read, Vivaldi had a bug that did not permit the user to drag and drop one speed dial thumbnail into another.  I wonder if Vivaldi is really going to sort that one out.  Or if Vivaldi is going to keep the thumbnails in the Speed Dial the way they are right now.  You know, sometimes well-intentioned people say things in the forum that aren't so. 

Right now Vivaldi reminds me a lot of the old classic Opera 12.16, but with the security and compatibility of Chromium's rendering engine.  This first stable release of Vivaldi is clearly an improvement over Opera 12.16.   ;)

zebedeeboss, I hope you enjoy and have a lot of fun with Vivaldi.  :)

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 12:54:04 am »
I Don't like the sound of Vivaldi because it decides to be the default browser without seeing a way to undo this. 
What can I do to be Chromium my default one again?
Settings Chromium: Chromium cannot determine or set the default browser.
Do I have to uninstall Vivaldi and if so, how can I uninstall Vivaldi using Peppermint 5? Or Is there a simpler way to do that,  so that I can keep Vivaldi to try it out ?
Thank you for any help.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »
Hi jozefmw,

I'm happy to see that you got your default browser situation settled. :) 

Right now Vivaldi reminds me of an updated version of Opera 12.16.  But it's been the stacking of the speed dial icons, and the feature of Tab Preview, that has kept me using Opera.  But Vivaldi looks solid.  It does look like a very promising browser.  You've inspired me to give it another whirl.

Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

perknh

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
I like Vivaldi music.
You have so many browsers. Chrome is the best for me.
Cheers.