Choose style:

Author Topic: Installer won't recognize hard drive  (Read 1316 times)

Offline amder

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Installer won't recognize hard drive
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
Hi all, having trouble installing peppermint 5, hope someone can help!
I had the hard disk on my laptop die on me, so i got a new solid state drive installed. From another computer, I created a peppermint installer flash drive. When i try to install Peppermint, it only wants to install to the flash drive and it won't recognize the hard drive. The hard drive seems to be recognized at the BIOS level, it is given as an option to install an OS from but when I am using the live version I can't install to it, nor can I see from the file manager. I've checked the md5 checksum, tried 2 different flash drives, created using 2 different programs from 2 different computers. I've also tried installing from the command line and through the live version. I'm not sure where to go from here so any help would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Installer won't recognize hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:48:16 am »
Hi Amder

I'm not really sure what your problem is but it might be but it might be worth opening gparted in the live session and see if the HDD is listed there and if so maybe reformatting will do the trick

Just a thought

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:05:00 am »
OK if the SSD is brand new it probably doesn't have a defined partition table.

Be Aware .. If I'm wrong and the SSD has any data on it, carrying on below will completely erase the SSD so if it contains any data you need STOP NOW and let us know.

So boot to a LiveCD/LiveUSB

then open GParted (menu > System Tools > GParted)

Now in the drop menu top right, make SURE you have the SSD selected (easiest to identify by capacity)
(see note below)

Now in GParted click Device > Create partition table .. and choose an "msdos" style partition table.

Once that's done (and it should pretty much be immediate) close GParted .. then run the Peppermint installer from the "Install Peppermint" desktop icon.

note:-

If you're unsure what to choose from the drop menu top right in GParted .. STOP .. then post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
back here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:08:26 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:03:59 pm »
Without additional info, it's hard to say what's going on, but...

In my own experience -- when I installed a SSD in my Dell AGP D630 lappy -- I had to go into the BIOS and switch to AHCI.   After switching to AHCI, the BIOS detected the SSD automatically and automatically choose the right BIOS settings for it.  Before I did this, everything was acting janky.

I would check and see if you have this option available...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:05:55 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »