Choose style:

Author Topic: Google-Chrome Version 40 GPU [SOLVED]  (Read 2279 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Google-Chrome Version 40 GPU [SOLVED]
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:37:26 am »
Good morning all.  I guess many of you have discovered that Google have just released their latest browser: Abomination: 40.0.2214.91.  As expected, it has managed to screw up my graphics again with the all singing and dancing Aura Graphics Engine.  This time though, when I invoke it from the terminal with:
Code: [Select]
google-chrome --disable-gpu
Low and behold, it works  :o.  No more tearing and general graphical weirdness with the exception of displaying favicons correctly.  I can live with that.   For the life of me, I cannot remember how to make this permanent.  Any suggestions are appreciated - thanks and have a great weekend  ;)!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:06:38 am by AndyInMokum, Reason: Marking topic as [SOLVED] »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Google-Chrome Version 40 GPU
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:25:21 am »
You can either

a) in Chrome go to:
chrome://settings
scroll to the bottom and select "Advanced Settings"
then remove the tick from
used hardware acceleration when available
then restart Chrome.

or

b) Adjust the  "Exec" lines in:-

/usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop

to read:-

Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu %U
and--disable-accelerated-compositing
Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu --incognito
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:04:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Google-Chrome Version 40 GPU
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:05:36 am »
Cheers Mark, it was the disable hardware acceleration in Google-Chrome's advanced settings that I couldn't remember.  Disabling it seems to have done the trick; at least for this round with Google Chrome.  Retrograding Chrome was going to be the last resort.  I'm fed up with doing that every time a new version is released.  It seems to be a constant battle with Google if you have an older intel graphics card. >:(.  Anyway, thanks for the help  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Google-Chrome Version 40 GPU [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:23:25 am »
Tell me about it, version 40 (for me) is the worst yet .. if I don't "--disable-gpu" then minimise it and maximise it again I loose the top half of Chrome ::)

Luckily for most browsing I'm a Firefox user as Google seem to be going out of their way to make Chrome an unusable mess. ::)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:58:58 am »
Yup, that's exactly what it was doing on my Fujitsu Siemens.  If I had a Chrome SSB open and switched to Google Chrome in another virtual desktop.  The SSB was superimposed onto Google Chrome and there was all kinds of tearing.  I had to refresh the window to get Google Chrome to be visible.  For older machines, Google Chrome has become more and more problematic with each new release  :'(.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:59:45 pm »
Tell me about it, version 40 (for me) is the worst yet ..  as Google seem to be going out of their way to make Chrome an unusable mess. ::)

Yes, I hate to say this, but version 40 is harder to use than version 39.  If you share a computer with somebody, it is now more difficult to set Chrome up for two people if you use nicknames in your house.  You have to sign in first under your proper name, than add a second user under his or her nickname, then you have to have this second user delete the first user, so the second user can add the first user back under his or her nickname.  Then you always need to click away a few times to switch users -- whose names now are very difficult to see.  In version 39, there are still icons that represent the users of the computer -- say like a guy's head for the guy in the house, or a woman's head for the gal, or other symbols, if you prefer.   This way it's easy to tell whose desktop you're looking at, and easier to get back to your own.  It has been so simple and commonsensical up until version 39, and now that wonderful feature that helped make Chrome a joy to use is gone.

Yes, I have to admit Chrome seems to be getting worse over time, and this is why I'm currently using Chromium in Peppermint 5.  It's still at version 39!  And I'm one of the ones that used to grumble that the Ubuntu Software Center didn't update Chromium nearly as frequently as it should.  ::) 

Now I don't want it to!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:03:37 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:55:54 am »
Careful .. Sods law dictates that when you don't want something to happen is precisely when it will (specially if you say it to someone .. which seems to be sods second law of screwyoudynamics)  :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:58:08 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 01:34:41 pm »
Chromium browser updated today to version 40.  My concern that Chromium browser would lose its icon representations for multiple users is proven unfounded.

I now believe Chromium browser is more user friendly than Google Chrome when used in an environment of multiple users.  At this point, I see no reason to download Chrome within Peppermint, or within Ubuntu or its derivatives, any longer.  :)

Why Chromium is on one user interface path, and Chrome on another is a mystery to me; but both Chromium and Chrome updated today, and there is a difference between the two interfaces when adding multiple users.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:18:12 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum