Choose style:

Author Topic: Tweaking Peppermint to make it look more like a Chromebook  (Read 1142 times)

Offline tlgalenson

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8
Tweaking Peppermint to make it look more like a Chromebook
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:31:44 am »
Now don't get me wrong.  The stock peppermint user interface is fine, functional and user friendly.

And I have a Chromebook.  But I also have a netbook I am fond of that doesn't run Windows 7 all that swiftly.

It won't boot Chromium OS which would be my first choice.  So I want to take a (more or less) netbook friendly and user friendly distribution and bend it gently to look like a Chromebook.  A reviewer noted that Peppermint makes his netbook look a lot like a Chromebook.  He then described some tweaks that I had trouble trying to implement under Lubuntu.... so here I am.

I have questions like: How do you get the "task bar" which I think is called a panel in *nix world to become more transparent?  The "shelf" (taskbar) of a Chromebook doesn't show up at all.

How do I add applications to the taskbar?  Like dragging a desktop icon down on to the taskbar in windows.

Is there a "Chromebook theme" package of some type that would do all this on a turnkey basis?

In case it is not clear I am a complete Newbie at Linux.

Tom

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Tweaking Peppermint to make it look more like a Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:48:24 am »
Hi tlgalenson, and welcome to the forum :)

If you're after a chromebook-alike UI, why not just

a) Install Chrome

b) set the bottom panel to autohide

c) set Chrome to autostart

?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:58:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec