Author Topic: Question of P5 Installed Next to P4 [Answered}  (Read 3775 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Question of P5 Installed Next to P4
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:51 am »
GRUB stage one resides on the hard drives master boot record .. GRUB stages 2 and 3  reside in the OS (usually the last one installed .. so *probably* Peppermint 5

Deleting the PM4 partition should be safe .. worst case scenario you'd need to reinstall GRUB via a LiveC/LiveUSB.

Resizing the swap partition would require you to "swapoff" first

But be aware - by deleting partitions, you *may* change the partition order, meaning GRUB may no longer be able to find GRUB stage 2 .. this wold need fixing from a LiveCD/LiveUSB

I still think the easiest option here would be to just reinstall Peppermint 5 using the entire HDD .. but your call.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline starchase

• New Forum User, Old Old Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Question of P5 Installed Next to P4 [Answered}
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »
OK, I did reinstall, I chose to have the disc wiped and just install P5 to a fresh disc, thinking it might ask me how much disc space I wanted for the OS and how much for the Swap.  It didn't.  I see now that out of a 298 GB hard drive, 297 is used by P5 and 1 GB is used by the Swap!  I guess I can leave it lie that, it is probably a tad messy to increase the Swap file.  I tried briefly to resize the sda1 partition and it wouldn't let me.
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 03:23:11 pm »
If you want to set your own partition sizes, you need to manually make a partition table.  The easiest tool to do this is GParted.  You then have to manually install Peppermint to the preconfigured partitions you have just made.  It sounds very daunting.  In fact it is very easy to do and will very quickly become second nature.  Just like riding a bike, once you've figured it out, you wonder what all the fuss was about  ;).  You say you have just reinstalled Peppermint to your whole disk.  Does this mean you have wiped the whole disk clean including the NTFS partitions.  If this is correct, would you like to re-install manually.  I can walk you through it if you wish.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 03:31:37 pm »
Hi Andy

Thanks, yes, I just reinstalled P5 by choosing the option wipe the entire disc and install Peppermint.  I did read the tutorial about creating your own partition table and it is pretty clear and easy.  I may have done that before reinstalling a couple hours ago, but I thought that during the install P5 would give me the option to state how large I wanted to have the Swap file.  Sounds like a normal question to ask for this type of option, doesn't it, since the entire drive was going to be nuked?  But the install gave no such option, just went right ahead with the install.

Oh well, GParted doesn't give any easy option to enlarge the Swap, does it?
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »
Yes you should be able to do that.  You need to shutdown your machine and boot into your Live Media.  Once that has booted up, navigate to, menu > System Tools > GParted.  When that has opened, you will see a visual representation of your HDD with the partitions.  Right click on the partition, /dev/sda1.  Make sure from the dropdown menu, it is unmounted.  It will probably be greyed out - that's good.  Right click on the swap partition and click on, Swapoff.  If it says Swapon - leave it like that.  Click again on the partition, /dev/sda1 and select, Resize/Move.  In the new window that opens, grab the end of the partition that would be next the to the swap partition.  Pull it so it leaves an empty space behind it.  This is the, Free space following (MiB):.  This is the space you are going to expand your swap partition into.  You have 1GB at the moment.  If you wanted to have an addition 3GB to bring you up to 4GB of swap.  You will need 2861MiB in the, Free space following (MiB): field.  To bring it up to 6GB you will need 4768MiB.  To bring it up to 8GB, you will need, 6676MiB.  You can enter these figures into the field manually.  Once you have established your shrinkage, click on Resize.  Check to see it has resized correctly and close the window.  Right click on the swap partition and select,  Resize/Move.  In the new window, grab the end of the partition closest to the empty space you have just created and expand the swap partition into it.  Click on, Resize/Move.  In the taskbar, click on the, Apply All Operations check/tick.  NOTHING IS PERMANENT UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THIS PART.  You will receive a warning/cautionary message.  Click Okay.  Go and make a cup of coffee as it can take some time to complete.  Once it has completed, exit GParted and your live session.  Remove your Live medium.  Adjust the boot order in your BIOS and boot into Peppermint.  That's it  - have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:26:49 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 04:49:32 pm »
Excellent!  I'll give that a go next time my wife isn't using the machine.  Many Thanks!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »
I'd like to add a bit to AndyInMokm's excellent instructions....

When you've rebooted to the HDD, check swap is working with:
Code: [Select]
free -mhopefully it will show the Swap "total" as the size of the new swap partition (and not a zero value) .. post the output here if you're not sure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:55:38 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »
Thanks to you both, GParted worked after I had to mark th Swap file to Swapon, here's the Swap size:

Code: [Select]
melianne@waxisme1956 ~ $ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           990        727        262          6         32        403
-/+ buffers/cache:        291        698
Swap:         4052          0       4052

Thanks again

John

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:57 pm »
Its my pleasure.  Its great when a plan comes together  ;).