Author Topic: Looking for Ideas on How to Deal With a Hate Mail Issue  (Read 3634 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Looking for Ideas on How to Deal With a Hate Mail Issue
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:46:57 am »
I've been notified that my email address has been used to send out nasty political email concerning President Obama.  This hate mail contains extremely disrespectful, but not violent, language.  I see that whoever is doing this --either an individual, or a group-- is using a specialized email toolbar.

I got this message --which I have modified-- below the bottom of an email.  The part that says "This message was sent by" is then followed by my email address. 

This is the message I received at bottom of an email:

--- This message was sent by ......@............ via ............[the name of the toolbar]. Please note that ----This does not verify email addresses.
Make sharing easier with the ----Toolbar: http:// ...........----this.com/go/toolbar-em
To stop receiving any emails from ****This, please visit: http://----this.com/privacy/email-opt-out?e=.MRnvW6jart3o2aPYqBv4WCgbg

I personally consider this to be a cowardly form of superficial identity theft -- but I guess there are toolbars that can do this type of thing.  Although I had a very strong password protecting my email account, I have changed my password to be on the safe side of things.  I have no evidence that my email account has ever been hacked.  My IP address never changes.  It just looks as if somebody knows how to hide behind my email address using a specialized toolbar.

What can be done about this type of thing?

Any ideas on how to deal with this type of issue would be appreciated.

Thank you.

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Looking for Ideas on How to Deal With a Hate Mail Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:43:53 am »
First thing I do on a virus infected windows machine is remove all toolbars, and I tell people there is no need for a toolbar, firefox has everything in it you need, there is nothing a toolbar can do for you except give you a virus...   Good luck with your problem, but it seems to me your email has been hacked from what you are saying, and at this point in time all you can do is sit back and change your password on the email account...   :(
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:08:15 am »
my email got hacked a few times this one was my email for my music project, which i only use to deal with labels/people ordering cds/tapes etc and it spammed out to a lot of people i deal with this happened numerous times, what i did was just change the password and it stopped but it did happen again. Mind you this wasn't when i was using windows (i only had windows for about a month before switching to linux from mac) this was on a mac. I haven't noticed though any kind of stuff like this or any viruses since using linux though.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:18:48 am »
If they're spoofing your email address (in the mail headers) I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Might be nice if someone who's receiving these email messages could forward one to you so you can check the headers to see if it appears to be coming from your email server, or it's just a spoofed  return address.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:00:52 am »
Hello PCNetSpec,

That email was forwarded to me, and email looks as if it's from my personal email address.

Am I now a victim of spoofing?

How exactly someone does this, I do not understand, but I think they are using some sort of specialized toolbar to propagate these rotten messages behind my email address.

perknh
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:46:44 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:57:42 am »
Yes they may have your email address, and can easily use that as the "return" address .. what's harder for them to do is change the email headers so it actually looks like it's coming from your email server.

Which email client/service are you using ?

Are you saying you have a browser toolbar in Peppermint ? .. which browser ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:59:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:07 pm »
Yes they may have your email address, and can easily use that as the "return" address .. what's harder for them to do is change the email headers so it actually looks like it's coming from your email server.

I see.  So simple, too.  That make a lot of sense.

I'm using Gmail.

No, I don't use any toolbars at all.  But there was a link at the bottom of my spoofed email adverting a toolbar that is made to send out spam.  But, no, I have nothing to do with any toolbars.

P.S.

I did report the incident to my Internet Service Provider.  They made a note of it, told me to change my password -- which I did-- and to run an antivirus.  Of course I can't run an antivirus scan because I'm using Peppermint.  My computer doesn't have a virus, I'm certain of that.

The woman form my ISP says that their servers scan for spoofing.  Would I be better served changing my DNS to Google Public DNS -- which specializes in the stuff?  Still, I don't really see how that would help me much in this situation.  But this is from Google:

Spoofing attacks leading to DNS cache poisoning. Various types of DNS spoofing and forgery exploits abound, which aim to redirect users from legitimate sites to malicious websites. These include so-called "Kaminsky attacks", in which attackers take authoritative control of an entire DNS zone. 

source:  What is Google Public DNS?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:34:06 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
Changing DNS servers won't make a difference.

You may want to select "Show original" in gmail, and see which mail servers it originated from in the headers .. then possibly complain to the mail server or host admins.

But as I said, if they're just spoofing your "from" feild or "return" address there's little you (or google) can do about it unless it's their outgoing maill servers that are being used for sending it.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/50200?hl=en

I doubt if the toolbar has anything too do with this, beyond them trying to tempt people to install software in your name .. they get email addresses from all sorts of sources, then just spoof the return address so *most* people (who don't check the headers) will think it's from you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:24:24 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »
PCNetSpec,

I've been using Gmail for years, but I never checked the header of an email before today.

And, no, I doubt any of these email are coming from Google servers.

The particular toolbar I mentioned seems to used to help a spammer set up spamming, but I don't want to investigate that subject too deeply.

Thank you for this information.  ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:32:55 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:05 pm »
PCNetSpec,

I've been using Gmail for yecularars, but I never checked the header of an email before today.

And, no, I doubt any of these email are coming from Google servers.

The particular toolbar I mentioned seems to used to help a spammer set up spamming, but I don't want to investigate that subject too deeply.

Thank you for this information.  ;)

perknh

yecularars? ???
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
"I've been using Gmail for years, but I never checked the header of an email before today."  That's what I was trying to say.

Thanks for bringing that strange typo to my attention.

perknh

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:39:27 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:51:55 pm »
"I've been using Gmail for years, but I never checked the header of an email before today."  That's what I was trying to say.

Thanks for bringing that strange typo to my attention.

perknh
I kinda figured that is what you meant, I thought maybe I was going to learn a new word for "years"...  LOL   :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:09 pm »
It's terrible that the only advice I can provide is to simply ditch your email address, shut it down and migrate to another one or perhaps another email provider.

A coworker of mine using gmail had a similar issue with her email being intercepted by someone with a similar address and vice versa.

gmail for some reason allows alias addresses to be created http://www.htstechtips.com/2010/09/24/multiple-google-email-addresses-one-gmail-account/

in the case of my coworker her email address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com and the other person's email address was lastname.firstname@gmail.com

These were two separate accounts however due to the alias feature that came later they became inter-connected and eventually caused quite a bit of trouble.

So my only advice is shut it down and start a new one.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:42:45 am »
It's terrible that the only advice I can provide is to simply ditch your email address, shut it down and migrate to another one or perhaps another email provider.

A coworker of mine using gmail had a similar issue with her email being intercepted by someone with a similar address and vice versa.

Hi Josephd,

You're right; it is terrible.  I feel sorry for your coworker, and I understand her pain.  It's a feeling of violation.

In my case, I believe that rotten email didn't end up with much of shelf life.  I believe that email ended up traveling in small circle of haters, and then most likely got treated as spam by a few more people.  I've fortunately had no responses from any recipients of the hate mail which was sent hiding behind my email address.  I see that as a very good sign.  I've also had no marked increase in the number of spam email I receive my own email box.  That's another good sign.

But to my on the safe side of things, I did notify my ISP about the incident, and I asked them to make a note of it on my account.  I also changed my DNS server to Norton's ConnectSafe, and I increased an already difficult password for my email account to a password that even I have difficulty remembering.

All this being said, I am willing to ditch my email account if need be.  But, JosephD, at least for the time being anyway, I believe I lucked out on this one.

Phew!

Thank you,

perknh

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 09:46:52 am »
Also use two factor authentication if not doing so already. I'm glad it's starting to clear up a bit.

Do you think you were targeted specifically/personally?
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."