Author Topic: How to connect to other Linux computers on my home network? [SOLVED]  (Read 2637 times)

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Hi, just wondering how easy it is to connect to other computers on my home network that are running Peppermint?

In the past I've connected home computers that were on Windows (using the wizard interface) - but don't really have a clue how one would do this in Linux. Is there software (I could run on all instals) that makes it straight-forward or is it quite fiddly for a novice to set up?

I've been downloading iPlayer programs (using my favourite linux software - get_iplayer) on one machine, and want to transfer files to another. I guess I can use USB stick if necessary but just wanted to see how easy it was to 'see' and 'access' files on other machines in my network.

Thanks for advice.  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:15:54 am by mattosensei »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How to connect to other Linux computers on my home network?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:19:18 am »
Easiest way to do this would be to install system-config-samba
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install system-config-sambathen go to
menu > System Tools > Samba
and if it's not already defined, click the "Add" button (+) and in the next dialog set up a shared folder such as the "Public" folder in your home directory.

On the "Basic" tab:-

Directory: /home/<username>/Public
Share Name: Public
Description: <whatever you want>
Writeable = ticked (if you want people on the other PC's to be able to write there)
Visible = ticked

On the "Access" tab:-

Allow access to everyone = ticked (unless you want to specify who can access the share)

After a reboot, the share should be visible to any Linux or Windows PC

On another Peppermint PC, in File Manager go to
Go > Network
and you should be able to browser to the share
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
Re: How to connect to other Linux computers on my home network?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:15:24 am »
Thank you Mark for your help, this is working  ;D

Just a few more questions:

Do I have to physically copy documents on my host computer into the Public folder so they are shareable across the network? Not really a problem, I guess I can move my downloads/documents/videos folder into Shared if I want these things to be always shared.

If I wanted to reverse the process (i.e. see files on my laptop from my desktop), I'm presuming I would install Samba on the laptop also?

Finally - and this may be 'out of scope' - I also use a Macbook Air  ::), is it possible for me to connect that to the network also...?

Thanks again  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:37:10 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: How to connect to other Linux computers on my home network? [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:37:39 am »
Do I have to physically copy documents on my host computer into the Public folder so they are shareable across the network? Not really a problem, I guess I can move my downloads/documents/videos folder into Shared if I want these things to be always shared.

No just also share your "Downloads", "Documents", and "Videos" folders (or any others) too.

DO NOT move your "Downloads" / "Documents" / "Videos" folder into Public .. that will break your system
Instead add them as shared folders via menu > System Tools > Samba > Add button

If I wanted to reverse the process (i.e. see files on my laptop from my desktop), I'm presuming I would install Samba on the laptop also?

You've got it :)

Finally - and this may be 'out of scope' - I also use a Macbook Air  ::), is it possible for me to connect that to the network also...?

If the Mac could access Windows shares, then it should already be able to browse to anything you've shared via samba as samba shares stuff via the Windows SMB (server message block) protocol.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:41:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:11:47 am »
Thanks Mark, that worked.  8)

Also to note for Apple users, the latest OS has some issues with VLC and Samba. Workaround here:
http://xubuntugeek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/fix-vlc-is-unable-to-open-mrl-smb.html

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:50:25 am »
You're most welcome .. and thanks for the OS X / Samba / VLC info :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:52:33 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec