Author Topic: peppermint 5 and the teething issues band (haha) :D  (Read 2020 times)

Offline oceania68

• Newly Subscribed
  • meow, says Mr Pussinz.... meow..
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
peppermint 5 and the teething issues band (haha) :D
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:03:06 am »
OK I am going to post here, though I thought general discussion might be better but in any case feel free to move the post to the appropriate spot..

Ive installed Peppermint 5 on my 120SSD, AMD x86_64, 8gig ram, phenom II x4 core blah blah blah... And as usual, its amazing how responsive the installation and start up is.. and like it alot... it shows since Peppermint one... :D  anyways, I have noticed a few hiccups (with out doing any updates, and then with updates) and one issue is the "screen saver" (so annoying), I have set my monitor to "never" switch off, but it does.. Hmmm weird.. buti will work it out...  anyways, when I activate my monitor by hitting a key etc etc, IF my browser is open, it goes black, doesn't come back to normality, and then I get an error box of something.. then a dialog box telling me I am in guess mode.... Now that was with the screen saver mode putting the monitor to sleep, BUT now, its done it after booting into it... bizarre... but I still like it..

I will fiddle around a bit more, and see what else it gets up too... Oh!! and also, java 8 ... Was doing the minecraft thing (yes I know Its addictive) and decided to give java 8 a burl, installs fine etc etc but doesn't seem to show the "runtime" I need.. would this be a peppermint thing or would it just be silly java at its best..? Not to worried, just a general question there... As usual Chromium is great but not flash friendly, so I have Chrome instead... works fine..

Also... My mate, who has never bothered about linux before, decided he too wanted to try Peppermint, so I gave him the copy I had, and he put it on his Eeepc 1gig ram not sure of the hdd... and hey presto, works great... Then he wanted to duel boot it with win 8.1 (why I have no idea) but for some reason, he/we couldn't get the partition to happen and so forth.. so we left that one for later...

moral of story, Peppermint is getting out there.. :D but so far proving not quite as friendly (to non linux heads) as I'd like it be when it came to "trying to install alongside windows" which it doesn't give the option for that no more plus he thinks that candy pix on the menu button is too far to the left.. we can't see candy... we like candy.. :D .. but the up side is, it forces my mate to learn.. :D So there ya go, thats my little interim experience report of Peppermint 5... nothing major thus far, just a few teething issues.. other than that, it's all good...

Cheers..
Freedom to be who you are is more freedom than who you are not.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: peppermint 5 and the teething issues band (haha) :D
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:49 am »
Candy icon is exactly as it should be .. we're getting stingy and only give you half a candy to the left of the word "menu" this time around

The actual menu button graphic is here:
/usr/share/peppermint/images/menu-four.png
so he can always edit it if he wants a whole candy ;)

Screen blanking comes from 2 places
a) The light-locker settings in the menu
and
b) the xfwce4-power-manager

it needs to be disabled in both.

Chrome/Chromium graphics have become troublesome for some people since Google decidede to change to their AURA graphics engine.

About the only thing I can suggest is using Firefox for normal browsing, but leaved Chrome (or Chromium) installed for Ice SSB's

You'll have to explain the java issue a little better .. do you mean java isn't working IN CHROME/CHROMIUM ?

If so, Google in their infinite wisdom [sic] have decided to no longer support NPAPI plugins .. and guess what the java plugin is ;)

It should work in Firefox.

Installing alongside Win8.1

I'm going to guess the HDD is using a GPT partition table ?

If you're unsure, boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:47:02 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline oceania68

• Newly Subscribed
  • meow, says Mr Pussinz.... meow..
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:29:19 am »
Thanks PCNetSpec

The Java issue I solved by uninstalling java 7 first ....
The black issue I have not solved as yet but will look into what you mentioned
The browser issues is mainly the lack of development support on linux platform but I have made working progress, main issue is flash.. won't work in FF but does in Chrome, wont work in Chromium and half works in Opera... oh well, fun times.
Not worried about the win8.1 now, I couldn't be bothered with it.. Though I took windows 10 technical preview for virtual run, to me its like looking at win3.11 x xp ... with transparency thrown in...

Thanks for the reply...
Cheers
Freedom to be who you are is more freedom than who you are not.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:15 am »
Candy icon is exactly as it should be .. we're getting stingy and only give you half a candy to the left of the word "menu" this time around

The actual menu button graphic is here:
/usr/share/peppermint/images/menu-four.png
so he can always edit it if he wants a whole candy ;)

Screen blanking comes from 2 places
a) The light-locker settings in the menu
and
b) the xfwce4-power-manager

it needs to be disabled in both.

Chrome/Chromium graphics have become troublesome for some people since Google decidede to change to their AURA graphics engine.

About the only thing I can suggest is using Firefox for normal browsing, but leaved Chrome (or Chromium) installed for Ice SSB's

You'll have to explain the java issue a little better .. do you mean java isn't working IN CHROME/CHROMIUM ?

If so, Google in their infinite wisdom [sic] have decided to no longer support NPAPI plugins .. and guess what the java plugin is ;)

It should work in Firefox.

Installing alongside Win8.1

I'm going to guess the HDD is using a GPT partition table ?

If you're unsure, boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l

there is a post with artwork to the logos in the forum.
i actually replaced my menu button with just the small candy icon
i get the full candy with out the words 'menu' and i think it looks better
maybe they can try that.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ