Choose style:

Author Topic: Downloading Software Online In Linux (SOLVED)  (Read 3968 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Downloading Software Online In Linux (SOLVED)
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:31:27 am »
NO .. you NEVER download software online in Linux (that's a bad Windows habit you'll need to break).. it's all installed through your package managers from a central repository that's kept free of malicious code (and one of the reasons you'll not require anti-virus software in Linux) -- PCNetSpec from  Received netbook with Ppmt on !

I see a very emphatic No and NEVER in PCNetSpec's statement, and I confess I've broken these rules at times -- although I didn't realize the magnitude of the risks I've been taking.

I've downloaded Skype, Chrome, and Maxthon before from their official sites.  Now Maxthon offers an MD5 hash check in order to verify the download's integrity, but Skype and Chrome do not.  Still, I thought, since I was downloading Chrome from Google Chrome's secure site, I was safe.  I also thought that Microsoft would have too much to lose if Skype's download page were not secure.  Skype, after all, is a cash cow for Microsoft.

It sounds, however, after reading the statement above, that I've been playing a risky game. 

I believe I can add Skype with  sudo apt-get install Skype , although I'm not sure if I'd have to add i386 architecture for it too.

But what about Chrome and Maxthon?  And wouldn't any of us be safe downloading Maxthon from its download page if its MD5 checksum proves valid?

But, with Chrome, I'm at a loss.  Would I just have to play in the terminal until I hit upon the right command?  For an example, might the installation command be something like sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable?  I have no idea if that would be a legitimate command for installing Google Chrome or not since I've never tried installing Chrome this way.

But what PCNetSpec is saying here does make a lot of sense to me though.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

Now I'm finding myself with a practical problem.  I've been doing my homework on password managers and I've discovered that in my particular situation, now owning a Chromebook, that the best password manager for me would be LastPass, which is from a propriety software company.  Yes, KeePass, an open source password manager, would generally be my first choice, but there are real issues concerning KeePass and Chromebooks so I've read time and time again.  Anyway, bottom line, I would like to download LastPass using the terminal.  Is there a trick here in doing so?  I've tried sudo apt-get install lastpass , but I get nothing.

And, again, thank you.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:55:47 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: NO .. you NEVER download software online in Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »
OK, what I meant was "NEVER download software online in Linux, unless there's absolutely no other option, and you're aware of the risks .. then only get it from a source you feel you can trust"

But I was speaking to a brand new user, and was trying to instill the idea of "ALWAYS from the repos, through your package manager FIRST" .. I figure if a user needs this pointing out, they're probably best sticking to the repos until they figure out how it all works.

It was as much a strong statement to steer a Windows user towards Linux "best practice"s .. it's hard enough to explain the repository system and package management to a Windows user without muddying the waters with "well sometimes you may need to download stuff, but be careful, and aware of what you're doing" .. that will likely lead to a ten paragraph explanation/conversation that's as likely to confuse as inform..

IMHO, when someone is Linux savvy enough to step outside the repos, they'll not need informing ;)

With new users I start from the position of .. if they need to ask, play it safe, they'll surely learn more or ask questions later.

After all telling someone to stick to the repos is not going to do them any harm is it .. whereas if I send them off downloading software from the web and it turns out to contain malicious code, or crashes their system, simply doesn't work, or breaks something else it doesn't reflect too well on me or Peppermint does it ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:02:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading Software Online In Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
...telling someone to stick to the repos is not going to do them any harm is it ;) --PCNetSpec

Absolutely not!  It's the safest thing going -- bar none!  ;)

With rare exception (the ones noted) do I ever step outside the repos, although it looks like I'm going to need to do so today.  :-[ 

I wish there were a way I could always download from either the repos or the terminal.  I always feel a little bit leery of going to outside sources for my downloads.

Thank you very much,

perknh

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:16:56 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Downloading Software Online In Linux (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »
That would be your call ;)

I'm not going to tell you "it's OK", I cannot guarantee that .. you need to do a risk/reward analysis based on your own criteria, then accept the consequences good or bad base on YOUR decision.

Truth is, it's no more risky for Linux than downloading software from the web for Windows (and people do that all the time), in fact it's probably still FAR less risky .. but it's still riskier than the repos, so can only be YOUR decision.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:18:08 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:30:47 pm »
I've never forgotten the thread that introduced AuroraMagic to Peppermint Forum.  The reason for this is that I read what PCNetSpec said on matters concerning security within Linux. I knew what he was saying to AuroraMagic was absolutely 100%, correct.  Stay within the package managers.  Period!

Well, now that Chromium is pretty much on par with Google stable -- with the exception of a little harmless pixelation every now and then; and now that I know that Skype can be gotten through our software manger, after enabling Canonical partners in our update manager, I have little absolute need to download anything from outside our repositories -- and I haven't.

Still, being a sucker for a pretty face, or, in this case, a nice looking wallpaper; I was wondering if using web inspector, from Comodo, along with Norton Safe Web, would be a good way to protect a Linux user from a malicious software download.

I have a friend, a smart software engineer, who uses Solaris -- a BSD distribution -- and he definitely lives by staying within the BSD universe.  He lives by the textbook rule of staying within Solaris' repository, and his system is a solid as a rock.

The best comparison between BSD and Linux I've heard is this:  Linux can be looked at as an alpha BSD.  We're a little edgier here.  We have more distributions, and we have one man behind, and producing, our kernel.  If figure BSD is slightly more secure than Linux usually, but if we update regularly within Linux, and avoid downloads, we're essentially as safe as anyone using PC-BSD.  To me, the two OSes are essentially the same.  BSD is a Unix derivative, while Linux is a Minix derivative, which itself is a Unix derivative. (Unix has a kid named BSD.  Unix has another kid named Minix.  Now Minux has a kid named Linux. Wouldn't this make Linux BSD's nephew -- carrying some to the genes (code) of Unix?)

But, since I need my Skype, and I love our Linux distributions, am I playing it pretty safe if I use Comodo's web inspector and Norton Safe Web before I download a wallpaper online?

https://app.webinspector.com/public/reports/30099873

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwallpaperswide.com%2F

Wallpaperswide.com sure looks clean to me.  Does anyone else here use these tools for downloads? 

PCNetSpec gave me a wake up call, that's for sure.  I have changed my behavior to a great extent after thinking about what he said.  And, as I said, I have a friend who lives by these rules, and he never gets in any mischief at all.  I've looked a Solaris, and some BSDs, but I can't seem to make that leap.  And I don't know if it's really necessary to do so anyway.

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:54:06 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:11:51 pm »
I'd expect online virus scanners to be looking for windows viruses, not Linux ones.

Image files such as png/jpg/bmp/etc. cannot contain viruses .. only executables (and in windows some macros that may get executed by say Microsoft Office).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »
I run a Linux virus scanner from time-to-time, mostly when sending files to winders users (that I care about).   :D

Been using 'avast! for Linux' since 2012, actually.  Works great!

You can download it here:  http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Security/avast-Linux-Home-Edition-43586.shtml

I just upgraded it in Ubu 15.04, to make sure things haven't changed.  No probs experienced.

You might need to request a key, too.  This machine already has one installed.

I don't remember ever using !avast in Peppermint.  One thing to watch out for is your 'kernel.shmmax' setting. 

Not sure what it is in P5, and I'm too lazy to drag out my road warrior and check.

In the past, Ubu and Ubu distros have always set 'kernel.shmmax' way too low. 

In my experience, avast! needs at least 'kernel.shmmax = 128000000' to run correctly.

You can check this in CLI by running:

Code: [Select]
sudo sysctl -a | grep shm

Looks like Canonical finally got wise to this.  Here's the output in Ubu 15.04:

Code: [Select]
vindsl@Zuul:~$ sudo sysctl -a | grep shm
kernel.shm_next_id = -1
kernel.shm_rmid_forced = 0
kernel.shmall = 4278190079
kernel.shmmax = 4278190079
kernel.shmmni = 4096
vm.hugetlb_shm_group = 0
vindsl@Zuul:~$

Not sure what it is in P5.  To up the 'kernel.shmmax' setting to a more reasonable amount, in the past, I've done this:

• Open a terminal
  • sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
  • Add kernel.shmmax = 128000000 on the last line.
  • Save & reboot
That'll get !avast up n' running.

Don't mean to confuse anyone, but that's how I scan Linux files for viruses...   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
Unless you're protecting Windows users (as VinDSL mentions he is), I really can't see the point.

Can't hurt, but I'm not going to run software that'll eat syste resources when it's absolutely not necessary .. let Windows protect its own castle .. but that's just me ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 03:27:17 pm »
!avast doesn't run in the background, like on winders machines - no need to, as you say.   ;)

You just run it when needed, to scan for viruses, then close it down - same as you would do with a browser or mail client.

They say a screenie is worth 1000 words, right?

I just ran !avast against my download directory (and this is a low-resource machine):

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:45:29 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:34:00 pm »
OK, you're a special use case (regular dealings with the feds, etc. and don't want to pass on a file that may contain a Windows virus) .. but most users do not require AV in Linux.

And to check the "odd" file that you may want to scan for Windows viruses before passing to a friend, I'd use virustotal who scan it with 57 different AV scanners at the same time (including avast):
http://virustotal.com
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:40:32 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 03:46:20 pm »
OK, you're a special use case (regular dealings with the feds, etc. and don't want to pass on a file that may contain a Windows virus) .. but most users do not require AV in Linux.

Agreed!   ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »

Agreed!   ;)

Hello VinDSL and PCNetSpec,

This is good to know.  I certainly don't miss having an antivirus program. 

When I receive email that looks like it's been around the block a few times, I sometimes wonder I should resend the email to others.  Lots of people I know still use Windows.  :-\

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:03 pm »
Whether you want to look after your Windows using friends, or whether you think that tthey should look after themselves is up to you.

Personally I never pass on emails with executable attachments unless I added the attachment and know it to be safe .. but I don't see it as my job to look after Windows users PC's, if they're dumb enough to be opening emails and running attached executables nothing I do (or don't do) is going to protect them for long ;)

I opperate from the position that you're responsible for your own security/protection .. if I accidentally pass on a file with a Windows virus:-
a) it will be unintentional .. AFAIK this has never happened, but I'd be stupid to think it never will .. **** happens right ?
and
b) if they become infected buy it, it's still their own fault .. they should not  be assuming files sent by (or appearing to be sent by) ANYONE are safe.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:12:43 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »
This past week I found a mac user who installed Mackeeper or Macguardian or something like that and now his web browser keeps opening popups and playing audio adverts.

Shows you how installing software from an unsafe source can compromise an otherwise safe system.

Only you can infect your PC with a virus.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 02:13:44 pm »
Only you can infect your PC with a virus.

Well said :)

[EDIT]

Or maybe "only you can stop it from becoming infected" would be more accurate.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:17:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec