Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED)Expected prob.w/ Wireless PCMCIA card Pmint3: in T23 Thkpad w/in live  (Read 7472 times)

bobww99

Hi PCNetSpec
I do not understand last post.
A. I am in one computer that is functional. Problem (2)computer is resting in the middle of loading Pmint 3 live. I do not see any way of transmitting that info to this computer? Please suggest a way of doing this within USB live session with no wireless.
B. I have  type in :

code: [select}
sudo lshw -C network

and received an output which I can type in.
Is this what you want me to do? From above command, the only thing I see is *-network DISABLED.
c. Would like a half to three quarters of a page of hand typed copying of all the output of the :
sudo lshw -C network
Command?
TU
Bob

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Hi PCNetSpec
I do not understand last post.
A. I am in one computer that is functional. Problem (2)computer is resting in the middle of loading Pmint 3 live. I do not see any way of transmitting that info to this computer? Please suggest a way of doing this within USB live session with no wireless.
B. I have  type in :

sudo lshw -C network

and received an output which I can type in.
Is this what you want me to do? From above command, the only thing I see is *-network DISABLED.
c. Would like a half to three quarters of a page of hand typed copying of all the output of the :
sudo lshw -C network
Command?
TU
Bob
Can you connect this computer to your router with a lan cable???
then you would be able to post what he is asking for by accessing the forum from the live cd using chromium browser....   :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

bobww99

Hi rjm65,

Yes I can and will try to connect thru wired Lan. Did not think it would work. Will give it a try.
I can take a .jpeg and send,but would not know how to attach photos ? Does this forum have that capability?
TU
Bob
PS Status other computer T23 with terminal screen up in USB live in middle for loading Pminr 3.

bobww99

Hi all
I am in T23 wired Lan connected.
Will paste terminal screen info. as follows:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:d0:59:b7:16:7c 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:4640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:369344 (369.3 KB)  TX bytes:369344 (369.3 KB)

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 8
       bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 41
       serial: 00:d0:59:b7:16:7c
       size: 10Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=66 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
       resources: irq:11 memory:c0200000-c0200fff ioport:6400(size=64)
  *-network
       description: Network controller
       product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
       version: 02
       capabilities: bus_master
       configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64
       resources: irq:11 memory:c4000000-c4001fff
  *-network DISABLED
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 2
       logical name: wlan0
       serial: 00:16:b6:d2:b7:5b
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=N/A multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
peppermint@peppermint ~ $
[close]

Need help on what to do next concerning establishing wired connection or just continue to load and try to set wireless (looks like wired ok) within loaded Pmint?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
TU
Bob
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:03:30 pm by mac »

bobww99

Ps to last post --Many Many thanks to rjm65 for suggestion.
Bob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Can I have the output from ALL the commands I asked for.

And can you confirm this is an INSTALLED version of peppermint, or a LIVE session from a LiveCD/LiveUSB ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Connect to your router with an ethernet cable (so you have an active internet connection), then open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
then
sudo modprobe -r b43
then
sudo modprobe b43
did wireless spring to life ?

Be aware, if you're running Peppermint from a LiveCD this will NOT survive a reboot.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General knowledge tips:
Was stuck/lost in Chromium (never used it before) and lost my train of thought last night. Still having trouble getting to forum.  I found a workaround. Afraid to permanently add files into computer when asked as a warning that may corrupt the download.
Could not access forum.
Work around is to access forum , type in some other site http (simple loading site such as craigslist-easy loading) then once there,type in forum http. Works. Oh, and save site(s) to empty Chromium toolbar. Another subject but I hope this works for someone else.
To copy from terminal. You have to highlight the info., then right click "copy in pop up" ,then past in your reply/post.
To get a straight vertical line,hold shift while pressing \.
In paste and copy (right click) works in forum posting and in terminal. IE pasting commands and copying commands.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIVE session from a LiveUSB in Pmint 3, Linksys wireless card with light on attached and pluged into lan wired connection(both inserted). Wireless card is not seen by computer.
Download to commands requested is as follows:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
code[Select]
Sudo Lshw -C network

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ ifconfigpeppermint@peppermint ~ $ lshw -C network
  *-network               

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

RX packets:4640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:369344 (369.3 KB)  TX bytes:369344 (369.3 KB)

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ lshw -C network
  *-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 8
       bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 41
       serial: 00:d0:59:b7:16:7c
       size: 10Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=66 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
       resources: irq:11 memory:c0200000-c0200fff ioport:6400(size=64)
  *-network
       description: Network controller
       product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
       version: 02
       capabilities: bus_master
       configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64
       resources: irq:11 memory:c4000000-c4001fff
  *-network DISABLED
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 2
       logical name: wlan0
       serial: 00:16:b6:d2:b7:5b
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=N/A multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
and
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsusb
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0951:1603 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 1GB/2GB Pen Drive
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 15d9:0a4c Trust International B.V. USB+PS/2 Optical Mouse
and
lspci -vnn | grep -i net
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ spci -vnn | grep -i net
No command 'spci' found, did you mean:
 Command 'sci' from package 'scheme2c' (universe)
 Command 'spc' from package 'supercat' (universe)
 Command 's2ci' from package 'scheme2c' (universe)
 Command 'xpci' from package 'xdiagnose' (main)
 Command 'lspci' from package 'pciutils' (main)
spci: command not found
and
rfkill list

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
   Soft blocked: no
   Hard blocked: no
and
iwconfig

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

irda0     no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
and
ifconfig
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ ifconfig
          inet addr:192.168.1.75  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::2d0:59ff:feb7:167c/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:84294 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:31597 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:36899075 (36.8 MB)  TX bytes:4428476 (4.4 MB)

RX packets:9843 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9843 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:825734 (825.7 KB)  TX bytes:825734 (825.7 KB)
and
iwlist scanning
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Failed to read scan data : Network is down

irda0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

[close]

That should do it.
TU
Bob
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:42:59 pm by mac »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
What makes you think the wired connection isn't working ?

it has an IP address so should be working.

and I KEEP SAYING there is no point in us adding the firmware required for your wireless until you install Peppermint, as it will be lost as soon as you reboot.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

Message recieved:
Unable to connect to the Internet
Chromium can't display the webpage because your computer isn't connected to the Internet.
Error 106 (net::ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED): The Internet connection has been lost.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I unplug wired while in USB live while installing Pmint 3 in a Think Pad T23,mod 2647-2tu

Ref: Live session from a live USB wihin Pmint 3, Linksys wireless card with light on attached and pluged into lan wired connection (both inserted). Wireless- CORRECTION FROM LAST SEND-- card not seen by computer.
Sorry,
Thank You,
Bob

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Like PCNetSpec said before you are going to have to install peppermint 3 with the lan cable attached to the machine...

Once Peppermint 3 is installed then you can work on getting the wireless drivers you need...

there is no sense in getting the wireless to work off the live USB, because it is not going to save the drivers once you install, and you will have to do it all over again....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I'm withdrawing from this topic, you don't seem to be listening to (or understanding) what I'm saying.....

Fixing your wireless is pointless in a live setup, as installing the firmware will not survive a reboot.

Let me know if/when you have installed Peppermint, and are no longer in a live environment.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

Ok,  did not understand previous postings. Loaded Pmint 3 and is running. No wireless only wired lan. Will open new topic entitled. Pmint 3, No wireless.
TU
Bob

Offline ranjha

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Error 106 (net::ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED):
getting htis :(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Sorry ranjha, but that makes no sense without context...

which wireless adapter are you using ?

which OS ?

which version ?

which architecture ?

and most importantly .. please start your own topic rather than attaching your request ffor assistance to someone else's ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec