Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED)Expected prob.w/ Wireless PCMCIA card Pmint3: in T23 Thkpad w/in live  (Read 7478 times)

bobww99

rjm65:
I have a working  PCMCIA wireless card.
As too: "suggest is you boot the peppermint 3 live CD"? I tend to stay away from c-ds because they can become problematic.
I have good results with USB flash sticks.
I think I can place Pmint 3 live on a flash stick and run it? From here I am lost?
 Is this procedure just to verify that I can connect to the internet or setup my PC so when I download Pmint 3 my set will automatically see my wireless PCMCIA card?

TU
Bob
Re: Peppermint 4: In install solve graphics breaking up in T23 Thinkpad within live
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:43:12 pm by bobww99 »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Yes that is the Idea...
If you run live cd of peppermint 3 from a cdrom or usb stick, what you are looking for is:
1. can you connect your wireless device
2. did it boot the live cd without the video card issues you were experiencing before...
if it can run your wireless device and there are no screen issues then you are ready to install it...
If you have a problem with wireless then come back to the forum and they will help you get it going if they can....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

bobww99

Will do as suggested, might take a little time because I have to try and figure out gparted.
Found: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
and seems to be good. If you know a better" how to", feel free to let me know.
I take it gparted comes installed in the Pmint 3 download and is installed with the iso? Everything is written with the pro computer person in mind but not a uninformed person as my self.
TU  rjm65
Bob

PS Anyone who might want to contribute is welcome to do so. Need all the serious help I can get.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
You should not have to dabble in gparted at all...  How much free space does your XP partition have??? example if you have an 80 gig drive and xp is using 40 gigs you would have 40 gigs free space....   The installer will do a side by side install with xp and use that free space to create a partition for peppermint which you have the option to drag to make it larger or smaller.... But there really is no need to mess around with gparted the installer will do it for you....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
As rjm65 sdays, you shouldn't need to touch gpated at all.

Boot windows .. and defrag.

Boot the Peppermint LiveCD/LiveUSB .. select "Try Peppermint"

Once at the live desktop, connect wirlessly

then click the "Install Peppermint" icon on the desktop.

At some point you'll be given the option to "Install alongside XP" .. select that, then adjust the slider to give Peppermint some drive space.

Just be sure not to give Peppermint more free space than their actually is (though theoretically this should be impossible) ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

rjm65 PCNetSpec,

The statement in installationPmint 4 (using Pmint 4 as an example because I could not find anything on Pmint 3 detail instructions) reads: "If you already have other operating systems installed, the installer will recognize this and give you the option to install beside them." is right in front of other options. This statement confused me. I took it to mean that you can install it along side xp and that you must manually use gparted. The statement above (If you are using) regarding other OS means exactly that.
I think you both are correct. Would of not used a conversational tone with in the writing. I would of said more declaretive   "These are the options:" etc.

rjm65 I have 30 GB total. 14 GB used for xp pro.--Hopefully,No need to mess with gparted.

PCNetSpec  "Once at the live desktop, connect wirlessly" take this to mean: Not is the usb live session but after installing Pmint 3?  In the live session? I read a statement saying that any you do in the live session will be lost? Need a little clarification here. Will connect wirelesly in the live session work before installation? I give it a try either way.

"At some point you'll be given the option to "Install alongside XP" .. select that, then adjust the slider to give Peppermint some drive space." Lost with the statement above. Looks like when I choose to let Pmint 3 installer to choose automatically how much partition to use, I would not be required to mess with a slider? I have a rough idea of space allocation and probably can work this out.

I really want to thank both of you for your time. I will close both threads out (once I figure how to do this) when I achieve a complete-working install.
Bob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
PCNetSpec  "Once at the live desktop, connect wirlessly" take this to mean: Not is the usb live session but after installing Pmint 3?  In the live session? I read a statement saying that any you do in the live session will be lost? Need a little clarification here. Will connect wirelesly in the live session work before installation? I give it a try either way.

What I meant by that was that if you boot to the live desktop, then get your wireless working before clicking the ""Install Peppermint" icon on the desktop, the installer will now be able to download updates during the install.

"At some point you'll be given the option to "Install alongside XP" .. select that, then adjust the slider to give Peppermint some drive space." Lost with the statement above. Looks like when I choose to let Pmint 3 installer to choose automatically how much partition to use, I would not be required to mess with a slider? I have a rough idea of space allocation and probably can work this out.

Personally I usually select the "Something Else" option and set up my partitioning scheme manually, but if I remember correctly if you choose to "Install alongside" I thought the ubiuity installer then offered you a slider to allocate room for Peppermint .. is this not the case ?

Normally you would drag the divider as in this screenshot:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:11:17 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

PCNetSpec:  Author's statement: "any you do in the live session will be lost'' Is boggus. Thanks.

The parting looks doable. I have 30 GB total with  14 GB used for xp pro. Plan to allocate 8 GB to Pmint3 and the rest unused.
Any opinions ? Plan no other OS's to go along side these. Too unused free space?
Lets hope the installer "allows drag the divider as in this screenshot". If not, probably not crucial.

TU
Bob
PS would like to close both of my last subjects with solved. How can I do this within forum? Found attachments and other options. I locked this topic="Solved"?
 I found insert quote-well done.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
PCNetSpec:  Author's statement: "any you do in the live session will be lost'' Is boggus. Thanks.

No that's not a bogus statement at all...

If you're running a "Live" session without a persistence file, say from a LiveCD, then any changes you make will be lost after a reboot.

BUT

Enabling the wireless during an install to the hard drive will allow updates to be saved to the hard drive

So....

Where a "Live" session normally makes no changes to your hard drive

an "Installation" is obviously going to write to the hard drive.

Simplez ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

PCNetSpec--Reply 8 concerning the the word any thing you do ....
Took that information too seriously. I see what you mean.
TU
Bob

bobww99

From last by rjm65 in personal message: I was forgot which part of forum I was in. This is an update.

steps for side by side install are as follows...

1. Boot the machine to the live cd of peppermint 3 either by cdrom or by usb stick...

2. if it boots without any errors in your video card, then you know the video card should be ok with peppermint 3

3. click on the network icon by the clock and see if your wifi network is showing in the list, if it is not showing then chances are you will have a problem with your wifi device and you should check back here with pcnetspec how to set that up....

4. if video and wifi are working fine, then open up a terminal and type: sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-peppermint
then hit enter and wait for it to remove the slideshow from the installer.....

5. click the installer and when it asks you how you want to install your choices will be:
1.  side by side with XP
2. Erase drive and install peppermint 3
3. something else....
you want to choose the top one, side by side with XP
then it will take you to the screen that pcnetspec showed you in the post with the slider bar, you can leave it as is, or adjust the slider to give peppermint more or less space....
peppermint needs 5 gigs to install, it is best to double that to 10 gigs so it has room to add programs....
then just follow the prompts till it starts installing.....
Hope this helps....

By Bob:
Will try and follow exactly.
TU
Bob

bobww99

New Post---Hope this the right place to post a new post. Can not find option.
Any way, At Pmint 3 live session.
No wireless connection indicated. Clicked wired network icon and see only VPN Connections at lower right toolbar. Been to Network Connections from Menu/Network Connections and only shows:Wired connection 1. I booted up with the  linksys wireless- 2.4GHz (works fine in xp mode) card. Card light is on in live.
Per rjm65 "you should check back here with pcnetspec how to set that (wireless problem) up..."
Maybe go back to window and see if Linksys offers addon update drivers for Linux Pmint to work along side of windows xp?
Try to re install OS with Lan wired connection and configure wireless later? OR?
Help.
 What to do?
TU
Bob

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Hi Bob

This might sound a bit obvious but some laptops have a wireless key to switch the wireless on have you checked to see wireless is switched on ?

if it is switched on can you post the output of
Code: [Select]
 lshw -c network

Good luck

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

bobww99

emegra

First part of possible solution:
"Taken from a user post on web:
I'm not familiar with the T23, but does it have the blue Fn key and blue
images on the Function keys?

Is one of those pictures a computer with radio waves around it? Usually
the F5 key.

Press and hold the Fn key and this key. It will toggle wireless on and
off or launch ThinkPad Wireless software to manage wireless."

I can find no option.

Second part of solution (while in usb live session Pmint 3):
After typing command:lshw -c network
Ref: Wiki How-- ]
sudo lshw -C network

I get *-network DISABLED , Then descrip,physi...... id: 2, log name..wlan0,serial...,capabil....,config....., Then WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

The new step "7" says : Use ndiswrapper, if needed, and your Windows driver. I think this is about using/replacing a new or old windows driver? I do not tihink this is applicable because xp sees the drivers on the other since Pmint 3 and windows is totally different maybe it does apply and I should follow it?

The new step "8" says :
Connect to a network.
sudo ifconfig <interface> down
sudo dhclient -r <interface>
sudo ifconfig <interface> up
sudo iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID_IN_QUOTES"
sudo iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
sudo dhclient <interface>

Should type in the above at boot?

The new step "9" says
Connecting to a network on boot.
Add those commands (step 8) to /etc/rc.local
Make /etc/rc.local executable with chmod
Lost here? No idea of how to envoke at BIOS.

Implies that I have to stop dual boot (after first removing footnote A see below andI finally load Pmint 3) and go into the network on boot (not sure about how to do this-must be away) and type in :
ifconfig<interface> down
sudo dhclient -r <interface> (From step 8?)
ETC, ETC.
TU
Bob

Footnote A: Peppermint 3 will dual boot with window XP just fine, However before you try to do this outside of a virtual box, you will need to run a terminal command before installation to remove the ubiquity slideshow....
Boot from live cd of peppermint 3, open a terminal and type this command:

sudo apt------get remove ubiquity-slideshow-peppermint
Thanks to rjm65 and Moderator PCNetSpec for proper procedure slap on the hand.

From a personal note which I should of not used. But important to know.

Note to last posting : Modified per PCNetSpec with proper identifier: "Code: [Select]" correction. Hope this was done correctly. Will comply with future posts.
Bob
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:49:37 pm by bobww99 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Is Peppermint 3 installed yet ?

If so, please post the output from these commands .. please copy/paste the output and surround the output from each command with "code" tags when posting it to preserve formatting.

sudo lshw -C network
and
lsusb
and
lspci -vnn | grep -i net
and
rfkill list
and
iwconfig
and
ifconfig
and
iwlist scanning

If necessary either connect with an ethernet cable whilst posting this output, or copy/paste the output into a text file,then move the text file to another PC to post the output.

but post ALL output in the same way it was displayed in the terminal after running each command .. in other words, try to make it plain to those who are helping you to understand.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec