Choose style:

Author Topic: Received netbook with Ppmt on ! [SOLVED] ty.  (Read 22398 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Received netbook with Ppmt on !
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
OK, in light locker settings, put all sliders to the left .. and turn both switches to OFF .. then hit apply.

Light lockers job is to lock the session after a period of inactivity .. so if you walk away from your PC it locks.

And sure .. whenever you have any questions, just come on the forum and ask .. that's what we're here for :)

Well done by the way, ande i hope you enjoy Peppermint :)

[EDIT]

You could always add another account for the lodger that doesn't have permission to change any system settings .. but allows them to use the already installed applications
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:19:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »
Yeeeaah ! :D
Thank you SO very very very much for all of your help ! Just amazing. I definietly could not have done this without all of your trojan help! :)
My hat of to you ! :D TY :D

----
You mentioned the other day something about virus protection ?
Do I need to do anything for this please?
When lodger puts his external hard-drive to this lil pc to transfer photos from his phone onto his h/d can I run a virus checker ? Is that necessary ? Will it auto run any anti-virus when any external device is added ? (Just verifying things! :))

More generally if I want to run other software on Pep (I think it has a linux version) can it 'just' be run ? :) (more thinking about if I do this to another computer) ...:) Thank you ! :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2015, 04:22:55 pm »
You don't need anti-virus software.

You *can* have AV, but you don't need it .. believe me ;)

As for installing other software .. probably best to ask when you can be specific about which software, or what you want it to do ..  and I'll help you out.

[EDIT]

You might want to look through the Software Center....

Can I point one thing out though .. your Netbook only has a 16GB SSD, so storage space is always going to be at a premium, so don't go installing tons of stuff or storing lots of large files (such as movies) on the internal SSD ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:29:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2015, 04:29:41 pm »
Well thank you for the well done but I've done nothing! Just (almost) only done what you instructed! :)
A mere instrument of your instruction!! :D

OK another question ... in File Manager I have changed the view to Detailed View, but I can't figure out how to change the widths of the columns? I've tried holding down the left button on the glide pad (no mouse at this second) and moving it but that failed surprisingly.
I've also tried similar things to the edges of dialogue boxes which also failed ? (the little white arrow fails to move it!)

Also trying to see in the File Manager, how much space is left on the hard drive and can't seem to get to the root enough to see the properties of it, please ?

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:57 pm »
Yeah .. I get the h/d issues ... and I am thinking of another machine. I'm assuming that if I copy everything that I've done here it will work on that too ?
:)
Not sure I'd change this one yet but it might become a possibility if lots of software worked... so this is a really interesting exercise ! :)
The software I am thinking about at the moment (not for the lil EeePC) is alphasoftware.com Alpha 5 got version Platinum... at this point. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »
Holding the left mouse button whilst on the divider(the cursor should change to <-->), then dragging the divider SHOULD work ?

Space left on the SSD, should be in the bottom right of the file manager in this format

Free Space:  3.8GiB (Total: 12.6GiB)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »
Yeah .. I get the h/d issues ... and I am thinking of another machine. I'm assuming that if I copy everything that I've done here it will work on that too ?
:)
Not sure I'd change this one yet but it might become a possibility if lots of software worked... so this is a really interesting exercise ! :)
The software I am thinking about at the moment (not for the lil EeePC) is alphasoftware.com Alpha 5 got version Platinum... at this point. :)

Yep, these install instructions should work for any PC .. obviously there may be other things that also need doing, such as loading proprietary video drivers if they're required .. but the instructions in this topic are generic.

I know sod all about the Alpha 5 software .. is it online, or does it need to be installed locally ? .. is it Windows only software ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »
I just looked up alphasoftware.com and its Windows only software.  Very expensive Windows only software  :o!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »
OK the arrow comes up but even though I hold down the left (or right) keys it won't move the line... just jumps to the next boxes colour e.g. white as if you hadn't pressed down on the arrow at all?
Yep got the total in the bottom left : free 8.1 Gb and total 12.7 gb ?

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2015, 04:54:08 pm »
OK it has increased in cost massively! Yeesh!
I started with it in about 04 and bought upgrades each year at very decent discounted prices including the web application software so that I can have a large searchable online database. It looks like they have been changing it a lot!
But my last several years have been dealing with several bereavements and Court cases from those... bit of a nightmare and I'm only now beginning to try to get my life and businesses back up and running. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »
Well thank you for the well done but I've done nothing! Just (almost) only done what you instructed! :)
A mere instrument of your instruction!! :D

Not true .. YOU did the ACTUAL work, if you were reading how from a book you'd still have a sense of accomplishment, so why does it matter that the text was on a forum instead of a book ?
Nobody's born knowing this stuff, but you managed to follow the instructions and install an OS that you had zero knowledge of .. I'd call that an accomplishment ;)

Heck, just knowing where and how to get help is a skill .. and probably the most valuable skill you can have .. I don't know everything, but I know where to find out kinda thing :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:58:56 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »
I know that I can select the Win or Linux hosting and I bought all the software slowly until about 2009/10.
I have the discs and then downloaded the later versions and have copies.
I have it on this machine but only just opened up the latest version (on this puta) ... I can check but it's not too crucial right now but it would be nice to know. They used to sell the s/ware directly but now like many companies they are selling a licence only to use it which is bad IMHO! And likely to put off tons of people!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2015, 04:58:50 pm »
Hi AuroraMagic, congratulations on your new Peppermint Five 'puter  8)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2015, 05:09:44 pm »
What I'm trying to figure out is....

Does this software have to be installed locally .. or is it an online service ?

If it's an online service that you access through your browser it doesn't matter what OS you're running .. problem is, there website isn't too clear on this (or even at first glance what the software actually does) and the "trial" link is broken so I can't find out ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:14:36 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AuroraMagic

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:22 pm »
Quote from: PCNetSpec
Not true .. YOU did the ACTUAL work, if you were reading how from a book you'd still have a sense of accomplishment, so why does it matter that the text was on a forum instead of a book ?
Nobody's born knowing this stuff, but you managed to follow the instructions and install an OS that you had zero knowledge of .. I'd call that an accomplishment ;)

Heck, just knowing where and how to get help is a skill .. and probably the most valuable skill you can have .. I don't know everything, but I know where to find out kinda thing :)
Yeah OK I can kinda agree - it does seem ppl seem oblivious as to how to find help and where! Which I do find odd but OK!
... I guess working with Dos yonks ago helped as it wasn't so unusual for me to have a dos (like) box. I've even used the up and down keys to repeat commands! :) (& then altered as per necessary on the odd occasion).

But it's massively different IMHO having a person tell you the bits as you go with advice & help... than just reading a book! To me reading instructions about all this would be really hard. You *knew* what I wanted and told me just and exactly, and only, what I needed. It made it efficient, straight forward. It cut out all my wonderings and if's and but's, that I would have got very muddled with, if it had it been a book!
Thats worth a lot to me! :)