Choose style:

Author Topic: found a way to fix flickering external monitor  (Read 978 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
found a way to fix flickering external monitor
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:35:42 pm »
i have been battling a flickering screen with my external connect via vga to my dell latitude d630 laptop
for months now. It only happens when power supply is connected on battery it doesn't happen (at least not noticeably).
I read up that its probably a grounding issue with the electricity. I read you can remove the earth plug from the 3 prong cable
and it will fix it although its not safe which is why i did not do it. I tried one simple thing first before resorting to trying a ground
lift plug.  I simply used an extension chord to plug my laptop into another outlet on the other side of my room and plugged the monitor into
the other the flickering is gone! i suppose it was some kind of interference issue. So if anyone is having this issue maybe give this a try
it does seem to work with out resorting to something that is possible unsafe.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline nomko

• Linux User
    • View Profile
    • Easy tips for Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Re: found a way to fix flickering external monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:51:30 pm »
What you most probably created was an ground loop. Meaning that 1 device interferes with another device. using another socket solves this issue as you noticed. The reason for this is that nowadays sockets in 1 room are divided over multiple fuses (i.e.: all your sockets in your living room are no longer connected as 1 single loop but divided over multiple fuses creating more loops).
ASUS P5KPL-AM*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router

My Linux website

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Re: found a way to fix flickering external monitor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:11:06 pm »
yep thats exactly what it was.
also another solution i read was to get an adapter to change 3 prong to 2 but than your laptop or monitor
will no longer be grounded which is bad. so changing outlets keeps it grounded and reviews the ground loop
issue while still being safe.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ