Choose style:

Author Topic: Primary and Secondary Drives.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Primary and Secondary Drives.
« on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:32 pm »
I got a little xmas cash in the form of Amazon gift cards, and I'm upgrading to a more updated mobo, haswell architecture. Usb 3, SATA 3, a faster (well, according to the specs) ssd... this sort of thing. Here's what I'll have:

BIOSTAR B85MG Ver. 6.x LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Celeron G1850 LGA 1150 - BX80646G1850
Silicon Power S70 120GB MLC 2.5" 7mm SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
WD Green 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZRX
Rosewill Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case with Dual USB 3.0, Dual Fans and 12.5-Inch Card LINE-M Black

Already have the psu and plenty of DDR3 1333 RAM. The question I have is: Is there some way one would go about integrating the SSD as primary (boot) drive, and the HDD as a secondary, sort of storage device? I've heard of these "hybrid" drives, maybe something like that? Otherwise I suppose you'd be downloading "whatever" onto your SSD, and then transferring said media from drive A to drive B, etc, etc... Maybe someone out there has an idea about doing this withe some degree of automation or efficiency, instead of it being like a a purely manual operation?

THANKS. MIKE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Primary and Secondary Drives.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:20:23 pm »
The answer would be to choose "Something Else" during the partitioning phase of the installation, then manually set up your partitions, mounting the SSD as "/" and the HDD as "/home"

First having made sure the SSD is the first boot device in your BIOS

That way all installed apps (and the OS) is installed to the SSD, but your home folder (so any user files) are stored on the HDD.

If you have any questions, just ask
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:46:07 pm »
OK. I mean, here's an idea, too. So right now I have this ADATA Premier Pro SP600 ASP600S3-32GM-C 2.5" 32GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and it cold-boots Peppermint 5 in about 15sec.  In addition, because I'm neurotic and addicted tinkering with computer hardware, I also purchased this Seagate Pipeline HD ST3320311CS 320GB 5900 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive a few months ago, and I also loaded Peppermint 5 on that drive. It cold-boots Peppermint 5 in about 30sec. It was used or refurbished, cost $25, free shipping on Newegg. (I love Newegg)

To be honest? 15 vs. 30sec? I really don't care. And like opening the Chrome browser on either drive? Navigating on the browser?  I don't notice much, if any, difference. What I'm probably telling you is that I'm relatively happy with the setup I already have, and likely did not need a new computer system. (Good Lord)

98% (or something like that) of my computing is like web-based. I don't even know if I should call it "computing." Which I'm sure makes me a prime candidate for P5 vs. some godawful bloated Windows nonsense that probably boots in. Who knows?

So... so, this seems counter-intuitive and blasphemous, but the new computer components arrive like tomorrow and Tuesday, I'm thinking about sending the SSD back to Amazon (eat the return shipping) and keeping the ($51.00) 1TB HDD, operate with ONE drive as opposed to TWO, it just seems to make so little difference to me... I mean, if this new HDD functions as well as this one I already have, and I don't see why it shouldn't, then... Do you see where I'm going with this??

Thanks for bearing with my obvious neuroses. I mean, seriously, kudos to Peppermint for an OS that boots off an old(ish) hdd in 30sec. Also, having thought about it, maybe I'd do just as you suggested. Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:18:57 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »
Your call, but have you seen a decent SATA III SSD connected to a SATA III bus ? .. there's a huge difference between that and one connected to SATA II
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:17:20 pm »
Yeah good point. No way to really experience that without trying it. Supposedly this ssd is 500mb/s++ read and write. I'd better try it.