Choose style:

Author Topic: Password Manager  (Read 4234 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Password Manager
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »
Today on National Public Radio I heard some governmental security official say that we should all be using passwords that are at least 24 mixed characters -- 9#2Udf0iv%!3+1YcPzQm&tW! for example!  She also mentioned that we should be using a different password, such as the one above, for every site requiring a password that we use.  Then this official suggested a good solution to this problem of remembering all of these insane passwords would be to use a password manager. 

Right now I'm considering either KeePass or LastPass, but all the password managers I've looked at so far have a good pitch.  I don't know what KeePass' encryption method is, but it is open source.  LastPass is a "freemium" password manager -- whatever that is, but there are a slew of others worthy of consideration I'm sure.

Has anyone here made the leap to using a password manager?  And, if so, would he or she mind sharing their thoughts on the matter?

Thank you.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Password Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:38:14 am »
Hi    perknh

Keepassx is licensed under the GPL v2 so it's completely open source as I understand it, I've been using it for years now even before I moved to Linux 4 years ago, I also use it for things other than passwords such as product keys,  It's very easy to use, you can create your own passwords or Keepassx will generate them for you, I wouldn't be without it in fact nowadays we need so many passwords for so many things I don't know how anyone can get by without one,

I don't know much about encryption algorithms but you can encrypt using a master password or a keyfile or both, you'll find more information here http://keepass.info/help/base/security.html.

I can't comment on Lastpass I've never used it but as far as I believe Lastpass will allow you to store your database in the cloud where Keepassx can only be run locally

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:47:38 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:47:54 am »
nowadays we need so many passwords for so many things I don't know how anyone can get by without one,

Yes, emegra, you're right.  This password memory retention exercise is getting to be a real pain.  The truth is you end up making several very good passwords, and then you end up using the very same passwords repeatedly at several different sites -- which is a no-no, I know.   But when I learned yesterday that the new magic number of characters needed for password security is now 24, I felt that enough was enough, and that I'd better get on board with a password manager.

Emegra, I'm going to go with KeePass.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
Hi all, I hope everyone who celebrated Christmas had a good one.  I hope you are all suitably recovered too  ;D!!  I use Cryptkeeper to make an encrypted folder locally.  I then made a file in this folder that I keep all of my passwords.  I made a copy of the encrypted folder and I store it in Dropbox as a backup.  Sure I have to update the files manually but that is just routine.  Using cryptkeeper I only have to remember one password and I'm not relying on a third party to manage them.  With cryptkeeper you are able to encrypt multiple folders.  All with different passwords if you wish.  Its a really useful way to keep sensitive data safe locally.

Cryptkeeper is in the repos:
Code: [Select]
apt install cryptkeeper
Hit enter and do the password thing if asked.  That's it - have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:05:04 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:22:20 am »
Hi AndyInMokum,

Cryptkeeper looks like a great tool too, and I can see where Cryptkeeper could become very useful for me one day, and the same for Dropbox -- which I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't used yet!  :-[

Now here I've found an interesting tutorial on KeePass from Tekzilla.

If you can find the time, check out what this guy can do with this password manager.  This is pretty amazing stuff.  KeePass password manager can sure kick out one humdinger of password!   :o

perknh

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »
At 2:40 seconds in he makes a mistake did anyone else catch it?  I did...  LOL   :)
in case your wondering what mistake he made he is talking about how he uses keepass and how he has a plugin in browser for keepass then he says if he goes to a site which stores lastpass info, hahaha oh well i guess his mind slipped on him...   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »
Hi rjm65,

Do you believe using that plugin from Chrome necessarily makes KeePass a security risk?

I believe you need some kind of plugin like the one shown in that video to integrate KeePass with the browser.  For instance, there's also a KeeFox plugin for Firefox.

Are you saying using one of these plugins is a bad idea?

Thank you,

perknh

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 04:52:09 pm »
nope i don't know a thing about this subject, I was just making note he messed up in the video he meant to say keepass but he said lastpass instead....  LOL  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:36:31 pm »
You got a good ear.  I never caught it!  ;)

And now what I'm learning is that KeePass doesn't integrate well with Chomebooks. 

And while LassPass may say nice things about open source, it is not on any fast track of becoming an open source password manager.  I, personally, would feel more confident using a password manager that is open source -- and KeePass' record for security is pretty darn good.  On the other hand, LastPass' cloud-based security has been breached once already, although their response time in order to repair the problem was reported to be very quick.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:00:25 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:34:46 pm »
This is an old thread concerning password manager extensions.  And last night, by accident, I stumbled up this opinion piece concerning them.  Quite frankly, the piece caught me by surprise so I thought I'd share with you guys.  What prompted the article originally was about a bug that was found last year in LastPass' password manager, but it was one of Cassidy's conclusions in the article that surprised me most.  What surprised me the most was his suggestion for non-technical users to use their own browsers' built-in password managers -- that they're good enough.   That suggestion caught me by surprise. I hadn't heard such a thing in ages. :o

I recommend non-technical users use the built-in password managers because they're easy to use and plenty secure. -- Sean Cassidy

Stop using password manager browser extensions

By Sean Cassidy for Network World

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3183675/security/stop-using-password-manager-browser-extensions.html

Now, something related but somewhat off topic:

This gets me to thinking about extensions in general.  How much are they really helping us?  I mean our data is always going somewhere.  What if we went extension free?  Might clearing our browsers settings once a day be enough?  No matter what, our data has to go somewhere.

I do know this, when I removed the 3 extensions I had running in Chromium browser (ScriptSafe, HTTPS Everywhere, and Privacy Badger), my browser speed bumped up A LOT.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:25:17 pm »
I know this makes me sound like a Luddite, but I've always used 8 1/2" and 11" sheets of paper to manage my passwords.

Composition books, and loose leaf.

And, I sleep good at night ...

Ignorance is bliss  ;D

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »
I know this makes me sound like a Luddite, but I've always used 8 1/2" and 11" sheets of paper to manage my passwords.

Composition books, and loose leaf.

And, I sleep good at night ...

Ignorance is bliss  ;D

Same here.  There's something to be said for Old Fools, uh, make that Old Skool  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 08:25:57 pm »
As a kid my parents bought a house in Indiana, downstairs it had a bar, behind one of the very nice softwood doors under the bar was a safe .. but the previous owners had written the combination on the inside of that softwood door .. took a lot of sanding to make it disappear.

Some people are just not good with security :)
(a little before password managers, but still)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:28:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:40 pm »
As a kid my parents bought a house in Indiana, downstairs it had a bar, behind one of the very nice softwood doors under the bar was a safe .. but the previous owners had written the combination on the inside of that softwood door .. took a lot of sanding to make it disappear.

Some people are just not good with security :)
(a little before password managers, but still)

I am.  I don't have a bar  :D
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
That doesn't make you security conscious .. just less entertaining to burgle  :))

[EDIT[

So I guess in a round about way...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:40:43 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec