Choose style:

Author Topic: USB Flash Drive not recognized  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Max

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
USB Flash Drive not recognized
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
Hi All

I've just installed Peppermint 5 in a old PC for my father. Everything is working great, but for some reasons PCMan does not recognize any USB Flash Drive that I insert (either Camera SD or normal USB flash drives). It simply doesn't show anything. But it does recognize an external WD USB Disk without problems...

Any advice on where to start looking for the problem? As my father clearly won't use the terminal, I need PCMan to recognize those drives so he can move photos to the system.

Kr

Max

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: USB Flash Drive not recognized
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:26:43 pm »
Hi Max, first a very warm welcome to Planet Peppermint to both, you and your father  ;)   You say this a new Peppermint installation.  Have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, it is really important that you do.  It will bring your system up to date and things will run as they should - most of the time  ::).

Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Cltr+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands in sequence into the terminal window.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please use the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

Code: [Select]
apt update && apt upgrade -y
Hit enter and enter your user password when asked. 

Code: [Select]
apt dist-upgrade -y
Hit enter.  After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because there will have been kernel upgrades.  Hopefully this will resolve your issue. A very Merry Christmas to you both - have fun  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:40:39 am »
Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas :)

I have never had this problem with peppermint before, but am confident that one of our friendly mods can help.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:12 pm »
Hi All

I've just installed Peppermint 5 in a old PC for my father. Everything is working great, but for some reasons PCMan does not recognize any USB Flash Drive that I insert (either Camera SD or normal USB flash drives). It simply doesn't show anything. But it does recognize an external WD USB Disk without problems...

Any advice on where to start looking for the problem? As my father clearly won't use the terminal, I need PCMan to recognize those drives so he can move photos to the system.

Kr

Max

i haven 't found one external drive or USB which have worked via peppermint 100 % seems to be an issue. i refuse to buy another instead im just saving for a new desktop
with a bigger HD.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ