Choose style:

Author Topic: Anyone tried out Tiny Core Linux?  (Read 6401 times)

Offline linuxuser22

• nOOb
    • View Profile
Anyone tried out Tiny Core Linux?
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:31:21 am »
Anyone here tried out Tiny Core Linux? If you haven't heard of it, I'll tell you about it.  :)

Tiny core is a very fascinating Linux system with three different "cores" available on the website :
-MicroCore, basically just a Linux command line; the ISO image is approximately 9MB
-TinyCore, a minimal desktop GUI with an ISO size of only about 15mb! The apps it comes with is a control panel, a basic text editor, a terminal, an app repository and a couple of system scripts
-CorePlus, this is TinyCore but with more hardware and keyboard layout support, and a built in installer; the ISO size is about 72mb

So as you can see, TinyCore is absolutely AMAZING and also extremely lightweight! Although you might as well install some apps, such as Chromium or Abiword otherwise you won't be able to do that much on the system.

I must say, TinyCore is very interesting and I reccomend that you try the Live CD.  :D Works with x86, x86_x64, armv7 and Raspberry Pi.

http://www.tinycorelinux.net

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: Anyone tried out Tiny Core Linux?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:51 am »
It's been a couple of years, but I did used to keep a TinyCore partition on an old laptop of mine just for the sake of it. It doesn't suit my personal taste of being able to get a functional, modern desktop up and running quickly but it's certainly an interesting project.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:53 am »
I've run Core+, the variant of Tiny Core with wi-fi support. I like the look and feel of it, and love the size. My only complaint is that the first thing I always do is download a more modern browser. It's against the sprit of the thing, but I'd like it better with a more updated browser, even if it makes it a bit less tiny.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:35 am »
What do you run it on, if I may ask, and what do you find appealing about it.......just the speed?  I tried it breifly a long time ago but I'm sure it has improved dramatically since then. 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline linuxuser22

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »
What do you run it on, if I may ask, and what do you find appealing about it.......just the speed?  I tried it breifly a long time ago but I'm sure it has improved dramatically since then.

I just run it on some old Optima computer (pentium 4, 512mb ram) off a USB (it has no hard drive in it).
And what I like about Tiny Core? Not just the speed, mainly that it is a great system to run off a small USB and how the system is so minimalistic, like how you can just install the stuff that you would use.
:)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:22 am »
Yeah, all good points.  What programs do you most often run on it: word processor, spread sheet, etc?
I like  minimalistic myself.
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:48:24 am »
I've tried Tiny Core on a flash drive before, but I could never figure out how to set up persistence on the drive.  Then I read that development had pretty much stopped with Tiny Core.  Tiny Core is pretty neat, but I never knew what to do with it -- mostly because I did not understand how to set up persistence.

Now I'm wondering if development with Tiny Core is still ongoing. I was surprised, and happy, to see Tiny Core discussed here. 

During my minimalist Linux OS days, I was as charmed by SliTaz as I was by Tiny Core.   I went back and forth between the two of them for a year or so, finally concluding I could do more out of the box with SliTaz -- although I could never figure out how to set up persistence with SliTaz either.  Both Tiny Core and SliTaz are pretty cool minimalist distributions.

8)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline linuxuser22

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
Yeah, all good points.  What programs do you most often run on it: word processor, spread sheet, etc?
I like  minimalistic myself.

Mainly just Chromium, although I also like to install Flash Player and Java on there.

Offline linuxuser22

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:25 am »
I've tried Tiny Core on a flash drive before, but I could never figure out how to set up persistence on the drive.  Then I read that development had pretty much stopped with Tiny Core.  Tiny Core is pretty neat, but I never knew what to do with it -- mostly because I did not understand how to set up persistence.

Now I'm wondering if development with Tiny Core is still ongoing. I was surprised, and happy, to see Tiny Core discussed here. 

During my minimalist Linux OS days, I was as charmed by SliTaz as I was by Tiny Core.   I went back and forth between the two of them for a year or so, finally concluding I could do more out of the box with SliTaz -- although I could never figure out how to set up persistence with SliTaz either.  Both Tiny Core and SliTaz are pretty cool minimalist distributions.

8)

perknh

Ah yes, SliTaz is also a great system! One of my other favorite tiny Linux distros would definitely have to be DSL. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ It is not necessarily minimalistic, although it does manage to fit a lot of applications into just 50mb!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:52 am »
jacob_064, you began an interesting topic.  Core OS has recently hit the news, and its future looks bright.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/23/google_loads_coreos_onto_its_cloud/

https://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/052214-coreos-linux-distro-lands-on-281861.html

I don't have to wonder any longer whether or not development with Core is still ongoing.  It obviously is.

perknh
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:47:37 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:27 am »
Heh!

When Marc Andreessen said "software is eating the world," he neglected to mention quite how sharp its teeth would be.

This is the beginning_of_the_end for traditional IT companies...   :'(

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:46:29 pm »
VinDSL,

I read the article, and you are making an interesting observation.

I don't know where things will lead, but I will remove the smiley I had attached to my comment.

Your point is well taken.

perknh
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:16:33 pm by perknh »