Choose style:

Author Topic: Home media server advice  (Read 1571 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Home media server advice
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:27:46 am »
Seasons greeting to all - ho ho ho or, bah humbug if that's your thing  ;D.  I'm thinking about setting up a headless home server.  However, being a self confessed tightwad.  I'm trying to do it on the cheap.  In my local 2nd hand computer emporium, I saw a Dell Dimension 4700, Pentium 4, 3GHz, 1GB RAM with a 160GB HDD for 30.  This rang my Cheapskate happy bell  :D.  It already has Lubuntu 14.04 LTS installed, so Linux works on it.  Upgrading to 2GB of RAM is easy enough, as is the HDD.  I was wondering, would this make a suitable home server?  All advise is much appreciated  ;).

This little shop is good for converting older computers to Linux and then selling them.  The owner is a Kali user.  I'll have to give him a 64bit and 32bit Peppermint DVD to try out  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Home media server advice
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 06:40:33 am »
Obviously it depends on what you want to use it for, but as a media streaming "server" that's certainly powerful enough :)

Transcoding (in real time) takes a little "juice" and would benefit from a dual core CPU, but if the media is already in the correct format even a raspberry Pi is powerful enough to just "serve" it ;)

If you think about it, as long as the machine is capable of getting whatever you want to "serve" to the network adapter quick enough (and that's only 100/1000mbps) it's powerful enough .. the bottleneck is pretty much always the network adapter on a server.

[EDIT]

If you're happy enough to work from the command line (via ssh) then you'd be amazed at how quick and light something like Ubuntu 14.04 server edition is without a desktop environment to  slow it down .. you also learn a lot having to do stuff from the CLI
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:44:30 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 07:14:14 am »
Thanks Mark, that is exactly what I want to do.  I want the server headless and to work from the command line via ssh.  I'll have to go and have a word with this chap when he reopens after Amsterdam's annual New Year's Armageddon celebration.  I just hope its a quiet machine.  Funny you should mention the Raspberry Pi.  I've got a new B+ version being delivered today.  I plan to use this as an XBMC media centre. Cheers  ;).

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:23:03 pm »
Hi Andy

Being Debian based Openmediavault would run fine on that as well I would guess, it has a wealth of plugins ready to install like bittorrent, DLNA Samba, SSH and much more, and it has a great web based interface so no DE to slow things down

It's basically a Linux alternative to Freenas

I've been using it for quite a while and it's been flawless

Might be worth having a look at it

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:53:19 pm »
Hi Graeme, that looks awesome  ;). I'm definitely going to have to give Openmediavault some research.  I'm liking the idea of that old Pentium 4 machine as a home server. 30 is so cheap for a home server.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  Have a very Merry Christmas mate  ;D

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
Well good luck whatever way you decide to go Andy and a very merry Christmas to you as well :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation