Author Topic: 3 Newbie1Kenobi Questions  (Read 1965 times)

Offline mepperpint

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
3 Newbie1Kenobi Questions
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
Greetings,

I'm a lifelong Mac user that recently had to learn Windows 8.1 so that my wife could use a fashion industry CAD program.  So I started playing with VirtualBox, which lead me to Elementary OS and has no had me drift over here.  I'm learning that the more you play with distros the more you learn in general about Linux.   I'll be honest and say that OS X rules the group, but Linux really humiliates Windows 8.1... even with classic shell installed.

Anyhoo --

-- you know that cross platform feature which allows a user to expand or contract a system window diagonally?  It's in the corners of any window?  In Peppermint it's almost always unavailable.  I'm always forced to either stretch a window taller or wider, but never both at the same time. 

Is this a bug or do I have a setting wrong?

One other thing -- I wanted to try to install Calligra into Peppermint.  I keep reading it's a KDE thing but am uncertain of what that means.  Does it mean I need some sort of KDE package installed in Pep before Calligra can be installed?

thanks in advance for any and all help

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: 3 Newbie1Kenobi Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »
I had the same problem after installing Pep 5 seems there is a bug in the corners of window resizing, but I found changing my theme to another one solved that issue I use the old CRUX window theme and all is fine...  you can change them clicking your menu button and then Preferences and then Customize look and feel...  good luck with the other two questions I am sure somebody will be around shortly to lend a hand....  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:07:01 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mepperpint

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
I had the same problem after installing Pep 5 seems there is a bug in the corners of window resizing, but I found changing my theme to another one solved that issue I use the old CRUX window theme and all is fine...  you can change them clicking your menu button and then Preferences and then Customize look and feel...  good luck with the other two questions I am sure somebody will be around shortly to lend a hand....  :)

Unfortunately that didn't fix anything.  Tried three themes.  Same issue throughout.

:'(

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
Hi mepperpint, firstly a big welcome to "Club Peppermint"  8).  Secondly, can you please keep to one topic per post.  This way it makes it easier for future users when they search for a solution.  The second part of your post, please repost it in the Software & Applications section.  Many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:49 pm »
Hi mepperpint, is this a new Peppermint installation?  If the answer is yes, have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Cltr+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please use the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
apt update && upgrade -yHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  When that has completed, enter
apt dist-upgrade -y
Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because there may have been kernel upgrades.  Check to see if this has resolved your issue. 

Yup, the more you play with Linux, the more you learn and the more fun it becomes :).  I was also a confirmed Mac user for years.  Happily, I've now broken the chains of proprietary lock down  ;).

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:30:58 pm »
Upon further inspection mine only works from top right corner and lower left corner, the other two corners never produce a drag arrow...  I am having deja vu on this, I remember someone else had this issue, and they had to edit a file somewhere, and raise the number of pixels or something for the grab area....  maybe someone will refresh my memory on this...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
Greetings,

I'm a lifelong Mac user that recently had to learn Windows 8.1 so that my wife could use a fashion industry CAD program.  So I started playing with VirtualBox, which lead me to Elementary OS and has no had me drift over here.  I'm learning that the more you play with distros the more you learn in general about Linux.   I'll be honest and say that OS X rules the group, but Linux really humiliates Windows 8.1... even with classic shell installed.

Anyhoo --

-- you know that cross platform feature which allows a user to expand or contract a system window diagonally?  It's in the corners of any window?  In Peppermint it's almost always unavailable.  I'm always forced to either stretch a window taller or wider, but never both at the same time. 

Is this a bug or do I have a setting wrong?

One other thing -- I wanted to try to install Calligra into Peppermint.  I keep reading it's a KDE thing but am uncertain of what that means.  Does it mean I need some sort of KDE package installed in Pep before Calligra can be installed?

thanks in advance for any and all help

hi i also came here as a mac user  (was forced to sell my mac and bought a cheapo laptop hated windows and went right to linux) as well im with you that osx is amazing but aftering using linx now for almost 7 months im not in the camp of 'linux rules' windows is awful
mac is cool. What i like more about linux is you can get very similar features as mac but everything is open source and free and your non longer supporting greedy companies.
i also found you can get a really sweet custom interface and set things up exactly as you would want.

btw what did you think of elementary os?
i have tried 3 distros so far, elementary, ubuntu and peppermint
personally i thought elementary had the best native interface but
did not find it to be a very user friendly system and also very flawed.
ubuntu is solid (native theme very ugly but can be changed) peppermint on the other hand
natively its simple and clean ( i still customize anyway) but found it has the best features and is
the most user friendly and almost feels like now i never even switched from a mac which is very nice.

anyway are you just taking about expanding the windows your window manager should have buttons for minimize, expand and close not sure if thats what you mean
but if you play with themes sometimes certain glitches happen it takes time trying out different settings and themes before you get it right.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:17 pm »
Hi mepperpint, you could try this and see if it helps.  Open a terminal window with the keystrokes, Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.  Changing, <name-of-current-theme> to the current or, whatever theme you wish to edit.
gksudo gedit /usr/share/themes/<name-of-current-theme>/gtk-2.0/gtkrcScroll down and find the line:

GtkMenu::vertical-padding = 0Change it to:

GtkMenu::vertical-padding = 3Save the change and quit Gedit.  Logout and log back in.  You can also always use Alt+F8 that put you into window resize.  I hope this helps - have fun  ;)!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:15:44 am »
I've found the bottom right corner easiest to resize from .. but if worst comes to worst, click the icon in the window titlebar (top left) and select "Resize" .. the bottom right corner then follows where your mouse goes until you click.
(or as Andy says - Alt+F8)

I'm guessing you have some super high resolution set ?
(in which case it might be eaiest for us to find you a theme with slightly wider window borders)

Another option is to place the cursor somewhere near the corner of the window (still inside it though), then
Alt+Right Click+Drag
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:27:26 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 08:26:59 am »
Crux theme did not have those commands in it, however peppermint light theme had them and was set for 3 on vertical and 0 on horizontal, I changed horizontal to 3 and it worked...  I then copied those two lines and added them to the crux theme file, and now crux works also....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
Ain't Linux great!  Cyber-Lego  :D!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec