Choose style:

Author Topic: Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook?  (Read 6935 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:32:40 pm »
Well, PCNetSpec, I've tried. 

I've tried booting Peppermint from my flash drive several times, and with a few different commands.  No luck -- not luck at all.  Right now I'm running Unity 14.04.1 with Skype.  I've tried MATE, but I get no user interface.  I've tried Lubuntu, but I can't get into Lubuntu's menu to work after a reboot.  I've tried Xubuntu, but that was just a mess.  I've tried Unity 14.10, Utopic Unicorn, but then the touch pad doesn't work.  And I've even tried Canary, and had to use a terminal command to get back to a stable channel.  Power washing won't return a Chromebook from Canary back to a stable channel.  And, not to be forgotten, I've also tried Crouton, but Crouton, for whatever reason, never worked for me at all.

So, so far this Chrubuntu installation of Trusty 14.04.1, with Unity desktop, is as good as I've been able to manage.  But, PCNetSpec, if I had my druthers, I'd be happy just booting Peppermint from a flash drive when I need Skype.  Then I'd take all this Chrubuntu nonsense and toss it far, far, far away from me, and into the wind.  Also, I'm comfortable with Peppermint on a flash drive.  I began with Peppermint on an 8 GB flash drive, and it worked like a charm!  ;)

The Chromium Projects say you can boot from a flash drive.  I just don't know how.  But, if I could do so, I'd have Peppermint with me wherever I go with this Chromebook.

Source:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c720-chromebook

P.S.

If you're working within Developer's mode on a Chromebook, then Chromebook's forum will give you no support at all.  Vanilla Chrome only -- they say.   
"... our focus in here is plain vanilla consumer-based Chrome OS"  -- f

-- to be exact!  ::)

But what if you want to use Chrome, and Skype, on a Chromebook, but still have a taste for Peppermint?  :-\
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:44:17 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »
So you've  tried the instructions for Bodhi here:
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/764181-how-to-install-linux-on-an-acer-c720-chromebook
to boot a LiveUSB in legacy BIOS mode ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:13:39 am »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

No, but I discovered that link earlier, and I tried to adapt it to Peppermint. 

As you can imagine, I already have Peppermint on a live flash drive.  I figure if I could just boot from that flash drive, I'd have Peppermint.

Supposedly automatic boot is disabled on a Chromebook, but it can be enabled with a code.  Now I'm not sure if this works on all Chromebooks, or only on some models of the Acer C720.  But, I can't boot from a flash drive, that's all I know.  At least I haven't figured how to yet.  :-\

As for installing Bodhi, the Enlightenment DE lost its charm for me ages ago.  I know I was on an Enlightenment kick some time back, but I don't like the DE as much as like the idea behind the DE -- if that makes any sense.

Right now I have 2 OSes.  Chrome OS, and Ubuntu's Trusty Tahr 14.04.1 LTS, with Unity Desktop and Skype, using Chrubuntu OS within Developer's mode.  It's all working.  But I'd prefer just to have Chrome OS, and no Chrubuntu, but with the ability to boot into Peppermint on a flash drive with Skype when I need to.

A Chrubuntu setup takes a least an hour --probably more like two, and it's a nuisance.

PCNetSpec, thank you for looking into this.  I know the focus here in this forum is on Peppermint, of course.  Still, I do think we'll be seeing more and more people with Chromebooks over time, and it would be nice to run Peppermint either from within a Chromebook, or to have Peppermint on a stick that can boot from a Chromebook.  These are the practical hurdles I see for Peppermint down the line as Chromebooks become more and more popular.

PCNetSpec, as far as I know for me personally, the setup I've got now is working fine.  But, when you think about it, to have the team at Chrome OS purposely disable automatic boot by default, well ... that says something about how the Chrome OS team conceptualizes the use of a Chromebook.  :-X

In the future, I hope they will loosen up a little.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:37:14 am by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 10:28:32 pm »
Would Peppermint happen to have a PPA by any chance?

I've found I can put MATE onto my Chromebook using this PPA on top of my Unity LTS Chrubuntu installation.  The commands I use to do so are these:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop

Now I have put Peppermint on my Chromebook by using a legacy boot from a flash drive, but I can't remember all the commands I used, and besides that, everything crashed after doing so.  By this I mean my Chromebook became a brick for a while!  ::)

But if Peppermint had a PPA, something like MATE does, I think I could do some tricks with my Chromebook here -- MAYBE!!!!!!   :-\

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 07:27:02 am »
Yes we do:
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+archive/ubuntu/release
but I'm not sure how that's going to help you ? .. its NOT as simple as "apt install peppermint"  :-\

The above PPA holds packages for Peppermint 4 and 5 only.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 09:08:00 am »
Yes we do:
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+archive/ubuntu/release
but I'm not sure how that's going to help you ? .. its NOT as simple as "apt install peppermint"  :-\

Thank you, PCNetSpec.  Yes, you're right.  It is NOT as simple as I was imagining, but I still find it interesting to know that Peppermint does maintain a PPA.  This distro, and this forum, never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »
Am I missing something here .. you appear to have just quoted your earlier post  :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:25 pm »
nope, i even put my glasses on, you are not missing anything, he quoted himself and nothing more...  tee hee...  happens to the best of us I guess...  ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 02:25:57 pm »
Sorry for this answer guys -- but yes and no! 

I was working on my Chromebook, and looking at this thread, when I noticed the code was there for MATE in modify mode.  I thought I must have made a mistake somewhere hitting something, but I couldn't figure out where.  I thought it was simply an "edit" that I wasn't editing, so I just posted it.  I never realized that it would become a double post.

I have to admit that was strange occurrence. but thank you both for bringing this to my attention.

Sorry about that!