Choose style:

Author Topic: Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook?  (Read 6934 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook?
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:53 pm »
Quote from: AndyInMokum on December 04, 2014, 07:34:14 PM
Nice one  ;)!! Looking forward to hearing about the Peppermint conversion  8)!!

AndyInMokum has a million dollar question within his comment.  Since I had no luck putting Crouton on my Acer Chromebook (hash verification problems), I ended up, accidentally, with a ChruBuntu setup!  I ended up with Unity 14.10 as my secondary installation.  I followed the instructions from a Tekzilla YouTube video*, and then, after that, I found out how to add an x86-32 architecture to support Skype in Ubuntu Unity 14.10.

The code I used to add ChruBuntu was:
Code: [Select]
curl -L -O http://goo.gl/9sgchs; sudo bash 9sgchs
This code needed a patch, but it worked.

This got me to wonder if it would be possible to make a Peppermint code that would work like the above  ChruBuntu code.  Looks like a there is a potential Peppermint 5 recipe hidden within the above code, but I'm not the cook to prepare it!  Couldn't I just change a few commands (ingredients) and have Peppermint 5 instead of Utopic Unicorn Unity 14.10?

I should add although a mouse works with this Utopic Unicorn Unity 14.10 ChruBuntu installation, the touch pad does not.  I'm thinking a more stable Peppermint ChruBuntu installation, if there can be such a thing, might remedy this problem too.

Also the Utopic Unicorn Unity 14.10 ChruBuntu installation takes about a minute to boot up.  It's heavy on the system.

I think it would be cool to have Peppermint instead of Utopic Unicorn 14.10 as a ChruBuntu setup on my Chromebook.  It's time for Peppermint to get in on the action of this emerging Chromebook market! ;)

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

perknh

* source of the above code:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:21:38 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook? (SOLVED)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
I'm going to say, "No, it is not possible to install Peppermint on a Chromebook.  I can install Lubuntu, but that's as close as I can get to a Peppermint installation.  I haven't been able to install MATE either, and I've tried several ways of doing so.

I'm not saying a Linux guru might not be able to install Peppermint or MATE, but I certainly haven't been able to do so.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:27:12 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:40:12 am »
Oh that is a shame  :(.  Have you tried to install our own Ice app to your Lubuntu installation.  You will need Chrome or Chromium installed just like PeppermintIce app Deb.  I think it will pull in these dependencies: python3, python3-gi, python3-requests, python3-bs4 unless they are already installed.  I really don't know if it will work on Lubuntu installed in a Chromebook.  It certainly worked on a regular Lubuntu 14.04 and 14.10 installation  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Possible to Install Peppermint on a Chromebook?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
Hello AndyInMokum,

I know Ice is one of Peppermint's many claims to fame, but I never knew what I would do with it, so I stopped working with it!  :-[

Strangely enough, when I installed Lubuntu within this ChruBuntu setup, Chrome Browser was automatically installed within Lubuntu.  Having seen this occur, I started to understand why Chromebooks are really called Chromebooks.  These Chromebooks really are into Chrome! :D

Could I use Ice within Lubuntu to give me a Peppermint desktop and a Peppermint menu with a link to our Peppermint forum?

Although I would still be considered an early adopter, I do believe this Chromebook phenomenon is beginning to take off.  I would have preferred to have installed Peppermint on this Chromebook instead of Lubuntu, but the day may be coming when I'll be able to do so.  I've heard of people putting Fedora on Chromebooks, but I don't know how they do so. 

Technically speaking, I might have MATE installed for a spell, but, if this is so, the MATE desktop had no GUI.

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:22:05 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:15:35 pm »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »
Hi perknh, yes that was exactly what I was thinking about.  Installing Ice into your Chromebook Lubuntu should work.  If you use it to make some SSBs that show up in your menu structure. Your Lubuntu installation will most certainly have a Pepperminty feel to it.  For implementation of Ice, use the guide from the Peppermint website: How to use Ice.  I'm really interested to see if it works in a Chromebook.  If it does, it will be very cool indeed  8).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:24:55 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:13 pm »
I started to understand why Chromebooks are really called Chromebooks.  These Chromebooks really are into Chrome! :D
To think all along I thought it was because they had chrome outer shells, and chrome around the keyboards...   LOL   :P

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:44:53 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »
Stop. you've given me the giggles  :D!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:45:33 pm »
  :D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:22:26 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:55:44 pm »
Have you tried to install our own Ice app to your Lubuntu installation.

It's a day later, and I've found the Lubuntu installation with Chromebook's Developer's Chrubuntu installation to be very unstable.  Within minutes I've found that the Menu button in the bottom panel becomes unusable.   And although I've been able to install Skype, I can't get it to produce any audio or sound -- except for hearing the woman's voice when making a test call who tells me there is something wrong with the audio configuration if I can't hear my own voice during the test. 

These are the reasons why I'm starting from scratch again with Chrubuntu, and why I've removed the instructions as to how to install Lubuntu and Skype within Chrubuntu.  Those instructions  produced the appearance of another Linux distribution within Developer's mode, but with little practical functionality.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:36:10 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:53:14 pm »
What a hassle  >:(.  You are getting to know your Chromebook thought  :D.  Remember, command and conquer  ;).
I'm also have fun and games.  I'm trying to get, Serviio DLNA media server to recognise my Sony Bravia TV.  This is the recommended software from Sony to do the job because it is apparently easy to set up - yeah right  >:(.  I would hate to see the software they consider difficult to setup.  I really can't remember experiencing such an obtuse wiki.  Did I just now say, command and conquer.  I'm about ready to pick up my ball and go home.  Andy doesn't want to play any more  :D.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:19:32 pm »
What a hassle  >:(.... I would hate to see the software they consider difficult to setup.

Thank you, AndyInMokum.  I couldn't said it any better than that. I see you've been in this type of situation before too. 

These Chrubuntus take a long time to set themselves up.  And, if something doesn't pan out, you find yourself starting the entire process over again, and again, and again... Grrr!  >:(

But here's what I've ended up with -- Unity LTS.

And here's the code that got me there:

curl -L -O https://goo.gl/9sgchs; sudo bash 9sgchs -u lts

Then I added this command, which I found at Ubuntu.  They had a green check beside them:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update

Source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/454253/how-to-run-32-bit-app-in-ubuntu-64-bit

Then I went and downloaded Skype directly from Skype.  And, then I ran the voice test, and, yes, this time I could hear my voice being returned to me.  :)

Done for the night.  Adding Skype to this Chromebook wasn't nearly as easy for me as I thought it would be. 

And for the record:  Peppermint is much easier to configure on a Windows computer than it is to add Skype to a Chromebook in Developer's Mode.  At least that's been my experience.

Peppermint Linux OS is a winner!  ;)

And Chrome OS still has a ways to go before Linux will dominate the desktop market.  :(

P.S.

AndyInMokum, I notice you've decided not to go for a Chromecast media server!   I had never even heard about Serviio DLNA media server until last night.

P.S.S.

Went to bed last night and Skype was working.  I woke this morning, Skyped a friend of mine in Greece, and I'm back to having no audio again within Skype -- pulseaudio mode.  >:( I'll try Crouton one more time, but I'm not holding my breath any longer that this experiment of mine will work.  This Acer Chromebook is very well made.  If I could have done this all over again, I would have bought a small Acer Notebook with Windows, and then I would have removed Windows and replaced it with Peppermint -- just as I have done with our two other Toshiba laptops here.

This exercise, or experiment, I'm doing is getting to be ridiculous.  And, what's even crazier, I asked for these problems too!  ::)

P.S.S.S.

I found a solution to the audio problem I've been experiencing with Skype on an Acer C720 Chromebook using Chrubuntu.  It's a workaround -- and a major nuisance -- but it is better than having no Skype at all.   But my most sincere suggestion is, at this point in time (Winter 2014-2015), do not buy a Chromebook if you want to use Skype on it.  Chromebooks and Skype, right now, are not good bedfellows -- not at all!

That being said, if any reader here is still interested in this workaround -- keep reading!

First downloaded pavucontrol from Ubuntu Software Center which gives you a program called PulseAudio Volume Control.  Now, whenever you want to use Skype, you will have to go into your Skype Settings > Options > Sound Devices > Open PulseAudio Volume Control > Input Devices.  Then you need to change the Port setting to Microphone Unplugged.  And you have to do this every single time you use Skype  -- since Skype's audio settings always revert back to it internal microphone at reboot. (Skype's internal microphone within Chrubuntu is buggy and nearly useless.) 

Next you will see Configuration next to Input Devices

The top Built-in Audio Profile should be set to Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output (unplugged) or Digital Surround 5.1  Output (unplugged) -- which ever one best supports your device, I suppose.

The bottom Built-in Audio Profile  should be set to Analog Stereo Duplex.

And as for putting Peppermint onto a Chromebook, which was the original subject of this thread, maybe, and I mean MAYBE, the instructions below to install Bodhi Linux onto a Chromebook can be tweaked for a Peppermint installation.  If somebody has an interest in attempting this feat, I'd love to hear how they manage to do so.

Here's the Bodhi Linux installation instructions for a Chromebook.  And since Bodhi Linux is essentially defunct now, a Peppermint modification is strongly suggested instead of running Bodhi Linux.  This being said, we at Peppermint forum have nothing but respect for the fine work that Jeff Hoogland has done for the Enlightenment desktop and for Linux in general. 

So here's Jeff Hoogland's link.  This link is now due for a Peppermint modification, if somebody can pull this trick off! 

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2014/01/howto-bodhi-linux-on-acer-c720.html

Thank you, Jeff Hoogland, from your friends at Peppermint!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:58:57 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »
Good grief, it turning into an epic  :o.  Your experimentation is starting to pay of though  ;)!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:22 pm »
So this is a C720 ?

You should be able to install Peppermint on that

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec