Choose style:

Author Topic: (Solved with help from another forum) Can't install Dropbox  (Read 2047 times)

Offline SamuelWhiskey

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
(Solved with help from another forum) Can't install Dropbox
« on: December 09, 2014, 12:03:58 am »
Me either. It wont finish installing. Says 100% but just sits there and never finishes.

Edit: Topic Split from posting: can't get dropbox to work as it is a topic in it's own right.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:54:43 pm by SamuelWhiskey »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Can't install Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:16:13 am »
Why are you trying to install Dropbox? it is pre-installed.  It is located at: menu > Internet > Dropbox. It just needs configuration. 

Is this a new installation of Peppermint?  If so, have you updated and upgraded your system?  If not, please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please use the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while in the terminal window to paste the contents.
Code: [Select]
apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y
Hit enter and enter your user password if asked and hit enter again:

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

This will bring your system up to date.  Once this has finished, reboot your system as there may be kernel updates.  Now try to configure Dropbox.  I hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:32:29 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25:42 am »
I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with Peppermint 5's Dropbox integration. Your terminal command "apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y" may work but Dropbox simply works out of the Box (pun! :P) in other Ubuntu-derived distros like Lubuntu. Why can't the Peppermint team just copy Lubuntu's Dropbox integration so it'll work out-of-box in Peppermint, too? Or would that be too simple and easy?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:51:07 am by rossvassilev »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
Hi SamuelWhiskey, sorry to hear you are still having issues configuring Dropbox.  Now you have got your machine up to speed, (the commands given are standard update upgrade commands for Debian based distros).  Can you explain exactly what is happening when you try to configure Dropbox?  This way we are able to better ascertain what the issue is.  Many thanks  ;).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:46:37 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:21 pm »
A system update will fix the dropbox integration (and really should be one of the first things you do post install) .. what more can we do to fix a bug ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:10:08 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SamuelWhiskey

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »
Hi SamuelWhiskey, sorry to hear you are still having issues configuring Dropbox.  Now you have got your machine up to speed, (the commands given are standard update upgrade commands for Debian based distros).  Can you explain exactly what is happening when you try to configure Dropbox?  This way we are able to better ascertain what the issue is.  Many thanks  ;).
Basically I installed and ran all upgrades FIRST, as this is not my first linux install, and I went to Menu, Internet, clicked on dropbox and the box which say it is installing dropbox (the box said this, not me by the way since someone asked why I was installing dropbox when it was already installed) as I have done with every Debian based Linux distro I have used in the last several years, but this one gets to 100% and sits there and never completes the "installation".
I am no expert, but usually at this point another box opens and you complete the set up and sign in to drop box. This never happens in this instance.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: (Solved with help from another forum) Can't install Dropbox
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:02:06 am »
Glad it is solved.

I wonder why you had this issue. It has only ever happenes to me when I try to run / install dropbox before updating.

How did you fix it?
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved with help from another forum) Can't install Dropbox
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:31:44 am »
Hi SamuelWhiskey, that is great news  8).  This is the first time I've heard of this issue.  Peviously, any problems with Dropbox integration has always been resolved with the standard post-installation update/upgrade procedures  :-\.   Could you possibly let us know how you managed to resolve this or, provide a link to the forum where you found the solution?  This would really help us aid other people in the future if they encounter this problem.  Many thanks ;).