Choose style:

Author Topic: can't get dropbox to work (SOLVED)  (Read 5852 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: can't get dropbox to work (SOLVED)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 02:06:28 pm »
If I'm reading that right, AeroFS is NOT cloud storage like Dropbox, it's purely a syncing application between your own devices.

Bit misleading of them using the word "Unlimited"  .. it's "Unlimited Syncing" not "Unlimited Storage" .. they provide NO storage, so storage is going to be limited to the device you own with the smallest local storage.

There are already VERY well proven and mature "syncing" apps available in the repos .. rsync for one (or grsync if you want a GUI) :)

On your first link there is a suggested workaround for the disappearing dropbox system tray applet icon for Xfce users....

As Peppermint uses the Xfce window manager and compositor it may also work in Peppermint .. have you tried removing the tick from:-
Display fullscreen overlay windows directly
option in the Peppermint control panel.
menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center > Desktop Effects (tab)
or even disabling desktop effects altogether.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:33:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:02 am »
I did disable desktop effects and it made no difference. As for the diff tween "storage" and "syncing"... Dropbox offered me 3.38 Gigs of free storage. AeroFS gives me "unlimited syncing." I got about 140 Gigs of free space on my laptop. That means I got 140 Gigs worth of space for syncing files tween my 2 PCs. Unless my math is fuzzy, 140 GB seems like a lot more sync domain than 3.38 GB, and AeroFS like DB has immediate real-time syncing, unlike rsync, which is done manually or set to a schedule. And if I right-click on the AeroFS icon in the system tray, it gives me a list of options that includes "Sync History" for downloading previous versions of files. So your point is that with AeroFS, all my files are stored to both my machines but not in the cloud. So if both my machines get wiped out at the same time, I lose everything. While I concede there is that possibility, I think it is highly remote. As long as I always have one machine up and running, I can simply install AeroFS to the one I am reinstalling (which Ubuntu-based distro users must do time to time) and the files in my AeroFS folder sync tween the 2 machines in about 10 minutes, unlike Dropbox with which it usually took about 2 hours. Seems to me that AeroFS is a perfectly adequate if somewhat different replacement for DB. Now if AeroFS ever starts getting buggy like DB often is, I might go back to DB. I'm not committed to any software except that which works right now.  ;)
You can learn a lot from a dummy (that would be ME).:P

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 12:05:37 pm »
EUREKA! :D I just figured out that if I use use both Dropbox and AeroFS on my laptop and put the AeroFS folder inside my DB folder, I can have both online storage with DB and sync all files with my other PC using AeroFS. Thanks, PCNetSpec dude, your heads up in your last reply gave me the idea after I thought about it for a while. ;) You are priceless!!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »
No problem .. not that I did much  :-\

I wasn't saying Dropbox was better or even preferable .. just checking people understood there *is* a difference .. offering a syncing app is TOTALLY different to offering ACTUAL HDD space in the cloud ;)

I still think their use of the word "Unlimited" is misleading .. why would it be limited, they're not actually hosting anything ::)

Is there any difference between AeroFS and Bittorrent Sync
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_Sync
and
https://launchpad.net/~tuxpoldo/+archive/ubuntu/btsync
besides the fact they're trying to sell it ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »
I haven't had any problems w/ Dropbox and Peppermint 5 so far (running the 64 bit version of Peppermint).  I have only had it (Dropbox)  installed a couple of days though.

I did install it a while back and uninstall, simply because I could't look at the white backgrounds they decided to put behind the status bar icon w/ DB v 3.x (I use a dark panel).  After I came up with a workaround to fix those ugly icons I re-installed a couple of days ago (I can provide details of how I fixed the icons if anyone is interested).

In the interim I just used Dropbox on the web - w/ Peppermint there are 2 great options, you can use the Chrome Web App (if you use Chrome) or create your own w/ Ice.  I use Chrome OS quite a bit along w/ several Linux Distro's, and to me using the web app is about as handy as having it installed on the hard drive. 

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »
I haven't had any problems with it either  :-\

But yeah the new icon is ugly on a dark panel, so yeah provide details please :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 01:42:48 am »
But yeah the new icon is ugly on a dark panel, so yeah provide details please :)

The Dropbox icons used in the panel system tray applet are located in the /dropbox-dist/  folder in your home folder.  Look for /images/hicolor/16x16.  If you look at the icons they have a clear background, so for some reason Dropbox is adding a white background behind the icon in the system tray.  The best option would be to make this white  background go away - but I didn't know how to do this so I did the following instead. 

(I highly recommend backing up the original icons in another location before doing the following)

The bottom line is that I edited the icons - adjusting the canvas size to the pixel height of my panel and adding a solid background to the icon that matches the color of my panel. 

I used Gimp, details:

Open icon in Gimp

Adjust the canvas size of the icon to match the pixel height of your panel (keep it a square)

center the icon in the canvas

add a new layer

use the bucket fill to change fill the new layer with the color of your panel (use the html notation for the color [if you know it] or take a screenshot and use Gimp's color picker tool to find the color)

move the new layer below the original layer

export the adjusted image to the original file

repeat for all the Dropbox icons in the  /dropbox-dist/   /images/hicolor/16x16 folder.

Notes:

Again I stress backing up the original icons in case you want to return them.  I would also back up the new set, they will probably be overwritten in an update.

I use a dark panel so your mileage may vary depending on your panel color

Results may vary depending on the background color of your panel and it's transparency - the white will still be there behind the icon so it may appear slightly darker than the panel (you can tweak the layer color in the icon to compensate). 

The canvas size of the edited icons needs to match your panel height, otherwise the white background will be evident around your new icons

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:52:46 am by WallyA »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 05:53:34 am »
It's always a pain tracking down the correct icons to edit, so thanks for the info :)  :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:29:55 am »
well, DB 3.2.2 just came out for those signed up for early releases and the systray icon is now on a black background.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 07:45:30 am »
Oh that'll please everyone with a light coloured panel :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:48 pm »
well, DB 3.2.2 just came out for those signed up for early releases and the systray icon is now on a black background.

figures now that I have a workaround LOL Wonder why they don't just make it transparent as it should be?

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »
I spoke too soon regarding having no problems w/ Dropbox btw - I have noticed that when I log in after a reboot the DB status bar icons don't show up .  I have to log out and log back in to get them to appear. 

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 07:46:17 am »
Maybe it's time to ditch Dropbox in favour of someone like MEGA cloud storage:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1492.0.html

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 09:43:40 am »
... or Copy.com  ;D