Choose style:

Author Topic: new theme flat as a pancake  (Read 5855 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Re: new theme flat as a pancake
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:59:27 am »
Drink Grolsch or Amstel, wait half an hour and you get Fosters  :D!!

Drink Tennents, and don't bother trying to "get" anything ;)

[EDIT]

Ahh, I see what you did there .. lol :)

i'll have a sam adams please :D
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »
It looks good, wish I had more time to test themes.

i had been using flatstudio for a good while but i like the flat ambiance it has that ubuntu look
but with a more contemporary spin on it. Their doing a fully 'blacked out' ambiance flat theme soon
im  hoping that will suit all my needs as a fully dark theme i prefer over dark panels/widnows but still
everything else light. whats easy on the eyes is what i like best.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 12:16:50 pm »
The guy in that video is a perfect analogy for Windows 10 .. an old guy trying to look cool with a new hairstyle :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:18:27 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »
The guy in that video is a perfect analogy for Windows 10 .. an old guy trying to look cool with a new hairstyle :)

i agree with you there. i think OS yosemite is the best commercial OS out there dropping all of steve jobs eye candy
in place of a more simple design but still uses a the nice ( i think it is) dock and panel set up and easy navigation
I can still do all of this with linux so i dont see a reason to pay for yosemite when i can get almost everything i want free
and even tweak it more. I think windows 10 for windows is fine most of the people using windows don't care about
design/interface/art their just people who want to get school work done/work/surf the web or someone like my mom
who still has windows vista and thinks the aero interface will 'slow down her computer' so she makes it look like windows 98.
ha

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »
Seems everyone is rating an OS on either third party software or appearance .. surely the way to rate an OPERATING SYSTEM is by its ability to supply a platform and framework for software to run stably and securely.

Anything beyond that is NOT about the "OS"

If talking about appearance, surely having the most customisable UI is "best" as you're never going to design a front end that suits everyone ? .. even better if the code is open so they can design their own.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »
Seems everyone is rating an OS on either third party software or appearance .. surely the way to rate an OPERATING SYSTEM is by its ability to supply a platform and framework for software to run stably and securely.

Anything beyond that is NOT about the "OS"

If talking about appearance, surely having the most customisable UI is "best" as you're never going to design a front end that suits everyone ? .. even better if the code is open so they can design their own.

for linux peppermint i was able to get a basic recording set up similar to garage band on mac (check)
 i replaced microsoft office  with libre office (check) i can watch hulu/netflix (check) I was able to do
everything a desktop pc and chomebook do in one OS (check) I was able to listen to all my  music
via audacious and spotify (check) i replaced photoshop with gimp or use SSB app for pixlr (check)
I can do my school work and surf the web just the same (check) I was able to theme up my UI to whatever i wanted
it to be and get the exact look i want and change it again when i'm tired of it (check) I'm able to get simple updates
quickly and keep my system up to date and also secure (check). I think peppermint in that regard is a much more efficient OS
than windows. I tried a PC at a retail store with windows 8 on it, it took me about 15 minutes to navigate  the damn thing
with peppermint a straight forward menu and file manager (just like mac) the switch was a no brainer !

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:15 am »
:)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »
 8)

Offline thorhr1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5.0
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 03:56:50 pm »
I love windows, best operating system ever made...  but after windows 7 it sucks....

I think you are kidding us right? Did you ever run windows m e? Notice I did not capitalize windows or me.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 05:18:30 pm »
I love windows, best operating system ever made...  but after windows 7 it sucks....

I think you are kidding us right? Did you ever run windows m e? Notice I did not capitalize windows or me.
Never touched ME it was garbage from day one win 2000 was solid so was xp win vista was garbage also win 7 works just fine...
if you know what you are doing that is, the average joe who knows diddly about a computer, well let's just say that is what keeps me in business...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
I repeat (kinda)...

HUGE difference between
"that's what keeps me in business"
and
"best operating system ever made"
 :o

Windows keeps me in business too .. but only because it breaks so often (including Win7) ;)

I can't for the life of me understand the people that think Win7 is somehow more"solid" than previous versions .. sure it doesn't  "break itself" like other Windows versions did .. but it's still brought to its knees by malware because it's so full of holes. It's still (and always will be) dogged with the "backwards compatibility" problem that means it CANNOT be properly fixed with a "solid" file system with built in ownership/permissions (as opposed to tacked on "administrator" patches).

It's simple, DOS and Windows were NOT designed to be a proper multi user, networked OS (they were designed in the "standalone PC" days, and networking was bolted on later) .. Microsoft have ever since been stuck with not breaking "backwards compatibility" with third party software, Imagine the outcry if they added a  "proper" file system that broke all previous "legacy" software requiring the user to replace EVERY piece of software they own, including ALL bespoke software paid for by businesses, so they're stuck with continually patching exploits as they arise rather than being free to fix the root cause.
Linux (and Unix before it) on the other hand was designed from "code llne 1" to be a secure, networked, multi user OS .. so file ownership and permissions were built in from the get-go ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:37:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
been using linux on this laptop for almost 8 months no viruses on linux used a mac for 1o years no viruses
had windows on this laptop for a week before installing linux had multiple forms of malware and spyware etc.
windows blows! I still think osx is a solid OS but i don't agree with the commercial mentality of mac linux gives me
all the things i got from mac but with out supporting a greedy company :D