Choose style:

Author Topic: Mozilla split with Google to partner up with Yahoo.  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
Re: Mozilla split with Google to partner up with Yahoo.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »
As long as you're talking about browsers I'll give Just two cents worth from one with only a cent. Back in the day when I first started with windows 98se and then XP I use IE. I didn't know much at all back then and didn't want to screw anything up. For what I was doing IE worked just fine. Then came flash. It changed everything. IE was having trouble handling flash. I was having  lots of trouble downloading podcasts and playing them using the embedded player. So I tried Firefox on windows and my issues with flash although not completely gone were greatly diminished. I tried Opera and then Avant both were okay but had issues with flash at one time or another. Then with the advent of Chrome I thought I would give that browser a try too. Like Firefox it worked just fine. What I didn't like was the interface. So after a few weeks I went back to Firefox.
XP goes away so I built two Windows 7 64bit systems and moved the old XP to the basement. With both 7s I kept IE for awhile. Once again flash became an issue. On one I put Chrome and the other Firefox. They both worked well for awhile and then all of a sudden the Chrome with 7 machine started to act up handling flash. In order to use flash I had to go into settings somewhere and make changes. For whatever reason the settings wouldn't stay so I put Firefox on that one too. Why Firefox works for me while the others have their issues only the os gremlins know. :-\

I still use that old xp machine with P5 on it as my Linux learning tool.  As you all know it comes with Chromium. I felt the developers knew what they are doing so I stayed with Chromium on P5. Everything worked just fine. A few weeks ago after and update Chromium started acting up handling flash. I listen to iheart streaming audio while playing with P5. When clicking on the iheart shortcut after 15 seconds I would get the Aw Snap error screen all the time. I tried a few things posted on the forum here and they didn't work. It was suggested here to try chrome or firefox. Some had success with chrome while others didn't. I opted for Firefox and as of this date I am back to listening to iheart.
I like how customizable Firefox is and as long as it works I think I will stay with it. I have bookmarked Linux UK and if another browser comes along that is raved about I'll consider giving it a try at that point.
I guess in a nutshell if all browsers worked flawlessly for all then features would be the talking point. I hope all works well for Mozilla and Yahoo.
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
I'm in two minds about this.....

I agree Firefox has been the one stable browser for flash for quite some time, but I'd also be happy if they all just stopped supporting flash at all .. it's an insecure resource hog that just needs to slip away and die a quiet death (or a screaming and kicking one .. I don't care which) ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
I couldn't agree more with the above post. My P4 cpu can not handle modern day websites. The flash content drags the system down to a crawl.  >:( I have to set the plugin container to ask me to allow it.  :)
For another topic: What is in pipeline to replace it? :(
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:34:01 am »
HTML5 :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec