Choose style:

Author Topic: PC wont finish boot  (Read 1241 times)

Offline richdetail2010

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Ubunto
PC wont finish boot
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:27:02 am »
 :-\
At start-up after the quick boot screen the message comes up. "attempt to read/write outside of disc "hd0"." then underneath that is displayed "<grub rescue.>." What is this and how do I get my PC to boot correctly.

As is, the only way it will boot is with the peppermint disc and in OS live.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: PC wont finish boot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:11:47 am »
Hi richdetail2010, welcome to the Peppermint forum  ;).  May we get some further information about what you have already done and about your computer?  I see from your post, you have burnt a Live CD/DVD.  Did you run a md5sum check on the downloaded ISO?  At what speed did you burn the the CD/DVD?

Using your Live CD/DVD, please boot into a Live Session.  Open a terminal window with following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  In the newly opened terminal window, enter the following commands in sequence, use the return key after each entry and post the outputs back to the forum.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please use the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Please encapsulate long outputs with the Sp Spoiler function.  This is located just above the crying  :'( emoticon.  It makes it much easier for people to read and keeps things neat and tidy.
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
This information will help us to determine why Peppermint Five is not booting on your system.  Good  luck  ;).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:26:34 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.