Choose style:

Author Topic: Ubuntu MATE 14.10  (Read 9784 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Ubuntu MATE 14.10
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
My beard turned grey in my early 20's so does that make me old?
Anyhoo anything is better then unity grey beard or not...  LOL 
I know one guy that will disagree with what i just said, sorry bud but i think you are the only one that likes unity...   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »
Can't be talking about me then  :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:21 pm »
No worries  .. If you like the Gnome 2.x look & feel of MATE, does that make you an honorary grey beard ? :)

Yes, that's exactly what I am.  I like the term.  It's perfect.  ;)

I am the old goat in this forum -- and with a head just a bony!  ;D

I also wanted to tell you I discovered there is program in this distro called MATE Tweak, and its default mini page is called Desktop icons, with the icons Computer, Home, Trash, Network, and Mounted Volumes that a user can either check, or leave unchecked, as desired.

I think this MATE movement in Ubuntu is going to take off -- especially if this flavor eventually offers five years of support.  Then it will become a genuine rival to Unity for ordinary end users.

By the way, I'm Unity free today! 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »
Then it will become a genuine rival to Unity for ordinary end users.

Sorry, but there's no chance of that.

Even Cinnamon doesn't rival Unity in any real sense .. no matter what Distrowatch would have you believe.

Take a quick look at the amount of questions asked per hour on the Ubuntu forum Vs the Mint forum .. then tell me Distrowatch's figures have any real meaning .. Ubuntu still dwarves those around it.

Kinda proves the old adage - "There's no accounting for taste"  :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:01:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 03:23:32 pm »
Then it will become a genuine rival to Unity for ordinary end users.

Sorry, but there's no chance of that.

Even Cinnamon doesn't rival Unity in any real sense .. no matter what Distrowatch would have you believe.

Take a quick look at the amount of questions asked per hour on the Ubuntu forum Vs the Mint forum .. then tell me Distrowatch's figures have any real meaning .. Ubuntu still dwarves those around it.

Kinda proves the old adage - "There's no accounting for taste"  :o

I suspect you're right, of course.  My enthusiasm for a new flavor of Ubuntu is getting the best of me.  Unity, nosy and heavy as it is, is very user friendly.  There's no real need for customization.  Yeah, I'm certain you're right -- "there's no chance..."

But the more I look at this MATE, or Gnome 2 flavor, the more I can see from where the other desktop environments originated -- including LXDE.  I move and hide the panels a bit, and I've almost got Peppermint, and if I change them again, I have a good working foundation for Unity.

We've got to thank AndyInMokum for discovering and sharing this new flavor of Ubuntu to us.  It is pretty cool.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 04:09:04 pm »
Nothing wrong with enthusiasm, and I think everyone should at some point take a looksee at Gnome 2.x (and indeed KDE 3/3.5, though I didn't really say that ;) ) .. if for nothing more than (as you say) to see the DE evolution ;)

I'm just not convinced keeping the twisted code base that is Gnome 2.x alive (no matter how good it was) is the way >>forward>>

I'm more for checking out "new" DE's such as Ikey's Budgie Desktop than sitting on old tech that will likely slowly stagnate.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:18:05 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »
Here's the thing....

People say Win98SE or XP was the best Windows to date, and they may be right .. but that doesn't mean it would still be the best today, or that tech should stand still .. how will the next big thing happen if we stand still

Gnome 2.x was my favourite DE to date (so undoubtedly MATE will feel great), but it's dead .. take it off life support, let it pass gracefully (and be fondly remembered), and move on ;)

That does NOT mean lessons can't be learned from it and incorporated into what's yet to come :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:33:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »
Here's the thing....

People say Win98SE or XP was the best Windows to date, and they may be right .. but that doesn't mean it would still be the best today, or that tech should stand still .. how will the next big thing happen if we stand still

Gnome 2.x was my favourite DE to date (so undoubtedly MATE will feel great), but it's dead .. move on ;)

I thought Porteus was fast because it was a derivative from Slackware and because it was to used on flash drives, but this flavor of Ubuntu is blistering fast, and now I'm thinking Porteus was so fast because of MATE.  You don't think that Mate could be a back-to-the-future DE -- maybe with a little tweaking?

Although I do like Unity very much, we know it's got many problems. (In fact I think that this rendition of Unity is a little worse than the rendition before -- heavier, nosier, and with more bloat.)  Cinnamon is attractive, but I find it a little difficult to see.  There's the Deepin Desktop environment that appears to be a very creative adaptation of Unity, but there are still a lot of bugs to be sorted out with Deepin.  Still, I think it will become a winner over time. 

I guess what I'm doing right now is discovering the roots of many DEs by exploring a modified Gnome.  I'll look at Budgie.  I had never heard of it before.

By the way, right now I've modified Mate to favor Peppermint.  Anyone here would feel right at home with the customizations I have made.

I guess you could say I've been Peppermintized!  :P

P.S.

By the way, I just found Budgie, and it looks very, very nice.  It does appear to be a modified, or modernized, Gnome 2, or MATE!  ;)

https://evolve-os.com/budgie/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:01:17 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 05:26:29 pm »
You don't think that Mate could be a back-to-the-future DE -- maybe with a little tweaking?

Nope, not without a complete code rewrite, and Gnome have no intention of that .. in fact that's what they consider Gnome 3 to be.

In the same way as a Windows version written on Win98SE code base wouldn't be.

Like it or not Gnome 2.x has no future .. MATE will drag its death out for a while the same way as there were KDE 3.5 forks, but eventually stuff will stop working with it and little to no new stuff will appear for it and it'll fade/die out as the KDE forks did.

This is of course just my crystal ball gazing (and it may be broken) .. there's always the possibility that devs will flock to MATE in a big way, but I think that would already have hapepned if it was going to .. MATE isn't new, it's been around since Gnome 2.x was retired.

Deepin DE (the last time I looked) seemed a bit like some weird cross between Xfce and KDE 3.5  :-\
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:37:23 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »
This is of course just my opinion ..
-- PCNetSpec

Still, it's an expert opinion. 

I should tell you I just downloaded the PPA for Budgie but I've seen no changes, or options, on my desktop at boot up.  Maybe Budgie only works for Unity right now.  Anyway, I don't know to activate it, but it is installed.

I thought it would give me the option to boot into either desktop at will.

I was wrong -- again!  ::)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:48:49 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
You haven't selected the budgie session from the login screen then ;)

Budgie can emulate Gnome 2.x (in the same way Gnome 3 can) but it doesn't by default.

[EDIT]

You might want to be careful with Budgie for the moment .. particularly if you are installling it in Peppermint and have Peppermint set to autologin.
Budgie should NOT be considered a finished product yet, and in Peppermint can be a pain to log out from.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:38:06 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 06:42:35 pm »
You haven't selected the budgie session from the login screen then ;)

There isn't one.  Believe me, I've looked.  Do you think this is because I'm installed a PPA on top of a distro in development?   Both are in development, I think.

No, I'm keeping all my craziness with Ubuntu MATE on my external hard drive.  I'm not touching my Peppermint installation.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 06:58:45 pm »
I couldn't tell you how it'll behave with MATE .. I don't even know which session manager MATE uses.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »
That's okay -- this is just a fun idea.

Is there a trick for finding and then removing an installed PPA -- so I get rid of all of it?

My interest has been piqued, I can play with this idea another day.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
Here's a YouTube tutorial on how to install the Budgie Desktop to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:

I've  been following Ikey on Google+.  The whole development of Evolve OS and the Budgie Desktop is really interesting. An Alpha4 ISO of Evolve OS is available to download.  I think it is only 64 bit at the moment. Evolve OS.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:58:02 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.