Choose style:

Author Topic: Ubuntu MATE 14.10  (Read 9996 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Ubuntu MATE 14.10
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:15:07 pm »
Hi all, I had some time to kill this afternoon and the Linux Luddites podcast were doing a review of the newest baby to enter the Ubuntu family - Ubuntu MATE 14.10.  I thought, that this sounds interesting and went over to the Ubuntu MATE site: https://ubuntu-mate.org/ .  I downloaded the 64 bit version and slung it on a 8GB SanDisk thumb drive.  It booted up to a live session really quickly.  Low and behold, there it was - Ubuntu with the MATE desktop.  It looks so similar to the classic, Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat with the GNOME 2 desktop you hear the "grey beards" nostalgically speaking about.  This is a community supported release.  At the moment they have two releases: Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS and the newest 14.10 release.  This project is not yet officially supported by Ubuntu.  However, this is one of the objectives of the small development team.  It looks and feels really nice - even classy.  I'm in the Live Session as I write this and it is very responsive.  It really behaves very well indeed.  It certainly comes with a much better selection of pre-installed software compared to it's bulkier Unity based sibling.  I think Ubuntu MATE could quite easily give Linux Mint MATE a run for its money.  Obviously, I have only given it a brief look.  From what I have seen though, the "grey beards" I spoke of previously will be doing cart-wheels and weeping with joy  :).  All the best and good luck to the Ubuntu MATE team on a very nice looking distro ;).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:37:00 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Ubuntu MATE 14.10
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:19 pm »
They also featured it on the Linux Action Show and they gave it a glowing review,
 I first came across Mate with Mint 13 or 14 I think and at that time it was reckoned it wouldn't last once Gnome 3 matured

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:42:28 pm »
Yeah, I really think all those people pining for the "classic" look are going to be very happy.  I'm going to be interested to see if Mark Shuttleworth officially welcomes them into the fold though.  It could rub him up the wrong way with all the negativity towards Unity.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:28:15 pm »
I'm going to be interested to see if Mark Shuttleworth officially welcomes them into the fold though.  It could rub him up the wrong way with all the negativity towards Unity.

Let's hope Mark Shuttleworth sees the wisdom of having a variety of desktop environment options.  There is a beauty in MATE.  I discovered that after you introduced me to that warp speeding, flash drive distribution called Porteus!

To be honest, I haven't learned my way around MATE, GNOME, or KDE, much yet.  But having MATE in Ubuntu sounds like a welcomed addition.  :)

P.S.

I found this link, and I've installed MATE next to my Unity 14.04.1 installation on my external hard drive:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/87040/how-do-i-install-mate-the-desktop-environment

Now, I've got Peppermint, Unity, and MATE installed internally, and externally, on this computer!  8)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:14:39 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:46 am »
Cool, I've been thinking about getting another 1TB external drive They are only around €50 - €70 here.  I'll then stick Ubuntu MATE and Peppermint Five 64 bit for testing stuff on it.  I'll probably Clonezilla my beloved Crunchbang over there too.  That'll keep my laptop with only a production version of Peppermint Five on it.  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:21:49 am »
I'm still not 100% convinced by MATE

The reason given for Gnome3 (and it makes sense) is that the Gnome 2.x code was a twisted mess with patches on patches and other patches to fix what those patches broke .. this tends to happen to software as it ages.

If you think about it, what most people didn't like about Gnome 3 was their shell, and that it wasn't as customisable as Gnome 2.x .. well there was never really anything stopping people writing a new shell or (after Gnome stopped being stupid) shell extensions, Cinnamon did just that.

I'm just not sure if working with an old code base is a way FORWARD .. you can't stay in the past forever, particularly in the IT world.

And all this from a "Grey Beard" that still thinks Gnome 2.x was the best DE to date....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:23:51 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:58 am »
Cool, I've been thinking about getting another 1TB external drive They are only around €50 - €70 here.  I'll then stick Ubuntu MATE and Peppermint Five 64 bit for testing stuff on it.  I'll probably Clonezilla my beloved Crunchbang over there too.  That'll keep my laptop with only a production version of Peppermint Five on it.  ;).

I believe the 1 TB Toshiba external hard drives are going for $70 over here.  But on Black Friday, Brown Thursday, or Cyber Monday, who knows?

I have Peppermint installed internally on this computer.  I got myself into some mischief last night with MATE.  I tried to remove the Home folder off my desktop, but couldn't figure out how.  I apparently deleted everything in the folder instead, and since I guess I removed my Unity installation also when I used the command sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop , my external hard drive installation went belly up -- since I could never get back into Unity.

This being said, I liked MATE.  If you have any hints as to how to remove that Home folder off my desktop, I'd appreciate them.

I'm willing to try this all over again -- minus that final command.  On the other hand, if you think I'd be smarter to begin learning GNOME, I can install that too.  I've tried installing Trisquel 7.0 a couple of times -- a GNOME DE based off of Ubuntu -- but I could never get Chrome or Skype to function with that GNOME distro.

GNOME looks a lot like MATE to me too, but with MATE I can almost see the thoughts behind Unity.  In fact MATE seems like a cleaner flavor of Ubuntu than Unity itself.

As for your conversation with PCNetSpec, I'm wondering if the two Linux DEs for the masses are now Cinnamon and Unity, while LXDE and LXQt remain for folks that want to keep things light.  KDE, another gorgeous desktop, seems reserved for very advanced users.  I haven't cracked the KDE nut at all yet.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:44:23 am »
If you have any hints as to how to remove that Home folder off my desktop, I'd appreciate them.

It'll be in the file manager preferences somewhere.
(or dconf)

[EDIT]

If they're not selectable in the file manager (Caja) preferences.....

See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE#Show_or_hide_desktop_icons

Easier to install the dconf-editor GUI:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
then use that to browse to
org > mate > caja > desktop

You'll then see tick boxes for the each desktop icon
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:51:41 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:32 am »
Thank you.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:38 am »
If you haven't already .. see the edit to my last posting.

In particular, the bit about using the dconf-editor GUI

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nomko

• Linux User
    • View Profile
    • Easy tips for Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
I'm using Mint 17 + Mate and i must say, it will survive the Gnome3 evolution. Mate cannot be compared to Gnome3 since it is a fork of good old Gnome2 and therefore it has its own path of evolution.

Mint made Mate looking pretty easy with the Mintmenu plugin for Mate, the old Gnome2 look could still appeal some users, but it has to be competitive with the (slightly more advanced) Xfce desktop which had an increase of users after the introduction of Unity.

But as far as we are standing now, i believe this latest development comes rather a bit too late. Most users already has chosen some desktop they prefer to use and i'm not that sure any more that there are users out there who wants to return to the old Gnome2 feel and look....
ASUS P5KPL-AM*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router

My Linux website

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
If you think about it, it wasn't really just plain 'ol' Gnome 2.x that people liked, it was probably more the plethora of available third party extensions / plugins / apps

In other words it was stupendously configurable...

At first the Gnome devs tried to limit configurability in Gnome 3 (wanting a unified look), but they appear to have seen sense, and now a lot of extensions are appearing.
(Heck Cinnamon started life pretty much as just a Gnome 3 shell .. so it's configurable alright)

That said, I see third party devs are still moaning about the way Gnome keep breaking backwards compatibility of extensions .. so it still isn't all roses and light.
(but I'm willing to bet there was some of that in the early Gnome 2 days too)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:00:32 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:17:11 pm »
If you haven't already .. see the edit to my last posting.

In particular, the bit about using the dconf-editor GUI

Well, I'm finally discovering Gnome -- at least indirectly.  :)

PCNetSpec, I will install dconf-editor after I re-install Ubuntu Mate 14.04.1 LTS.  I believe I've used this tool before within Xubuntu.  What you have described is exactly what I was looking for last night, and clearly, as you can see, I never found it!

Thank you.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
then use that to browse to
org > mate > caja > desktop

You'll then see tick boxes for the each desktop icon

Bingo!  deconf-editor was already installed, and your instructions worked like a charm!  ;)

This is a very nice desktop environment too.  I'm glad I jumped into this thread.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:42 pm »
No worries  .. If you like the Gnome 2.x look & feel of MATE, does that make you an honorary grey beard ? :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec