Choose style:

Author Topic: 'Tis the Season to Buy More Stuff!  (Read 1733 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
'Tis the Season to Buy More Stuff!
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:54 am »
The discussion with AndyInMokum, PCNetSpec, rjm65, iamesperambient, and emegra concerning computer batteries has prompted me to share this famous video with my all my friends here at Peppermint forum.  I plan to watch The Story of Electronics soon.  That ought to be quite a story in and of itself.

* From the storyofstuffproject
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: 'Tis the Season to Buy More Stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:24:01 am »
Well presented .. the most important part was only touched on though.

Compartmentalisation
The structuring of the linear system into little compartments isolated from all the other parts, so all parts can "blame shift".

Which IMHO leaves the blame firmly at the foot of the ONLY place with total oversight .. the Government(s).
("of the people, by the people, for the people" has been turned into joke, a meaningless but often used sound bite .. the original authors of which would be thoroughly ashamed at its use today)

And the problem with that is that voted officials in party politics are conditioned to only think "short term" .. it's as if the system itself has become a self sustaining entity in its own right (with FAR more rights than anyone contained in it).

I'm not saying I have the answer, more that I have little hope that things will change until the linear system completely collapses. We need a WHOLE NEW SYSTEM from top to bottom, and that will not happen in the timescale we have to fix this.

God help our kids .. buy em shiny new Christmas presents, so you can divert the guilt of having been part of the system that stole their future, and turn them into good little consumers so they can shoulder part of our blame .. in short, "compartmentalise and sustain".

Why do you think the phrase "Pass the buck" contains a reference to money... blame has long been considered something that can be "passed" (with a buck or two), then forgotten ::)

C:-) NSA/GCHQ - PCNetSpec flagged for retraining C:-)

Don we now our gay apparel, fa la la........
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:50:06 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:46 am »
yup I watched it and agree we need to make things last longer like in the old days...  Example: i bought a window air conditioner and it lasted maybe 7 years and died, the motor started making noise and it locked up...  Funny thing is I have a window unit downstairs my grandmother gave to us that is over 30 years old and still works perfectly... Back then things were made to last, nowadays everything is junk like she said in the video....    :(
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »
It's like we need to return to certain aspects of our past -- taking the best ideas from all cultures -- in order to survive as a species in the future.

Will organized people be able to compete with organized money?  Although I hope so, I don't see much organization amongst different groups of people at this point in human history.  But the linear system is broken.  We need a sustainable cyclical system now.

As rjm65 said, "...back then things were made to last."  True.  I'm still using a microwave oven manufactured back in the Montgomery Wards days.  How's that for hanging in there?

Next, we need to get back to modularity.  If a part of the computer breaks, replace or fix the part.  Say, if the battery goes down, get a new battery, and not a new computer.

The linear model needs to be changed to cyclical model.  As the planets population keeps increasing we need to recycle all sorts of parts, bits, and materials more and more.  We can't keep exploiting the planet until it becomes a barren wasteland.  Moving to a cyclical model would help rid us of short term thinking. 

But how do we get the politicians to work for us again?  That's the million dollar question.  In the US, it's embarrassing to say, but corporations are now considered persons -- except these 'persons' have unlimited funds, and an unlimited lifespan.  It's tough to compete, or work with, persons like that!

I don't have all the answers either, but I know awareness, organization, and education are all musts if we're going to survive as a species, or a species with any sense of well-being,

And, I suspect you're right, we're all being flagged for thinking about, and discussing, these important issues. C:-)

P.S.

Mahatma Gandhi was once asked by a journalist what he thought of Western civilization.  Gandhi answered, "I think it would be a good idea."  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:48:24 pm by perknh »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
LOL .. I never realised Mohandas did stand up :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:56:27 pm »
 :-[

as someone who prides himself on animal rights this really upsets me too see how much
greed and consumption the human race is capable and all the beautiful nature/animals
that are being destroyed/killed with out a blink of an eye to make profit. It's sickening!

My one wish for the human race is to die out before all animals/nature is totally destroyed
so once we are all gone it can *hopefully* rebuild its self back to a beautiful planet.
I hate when people think we are the TOP species of the planet yes we have the maximum
power to create and think, but our biggest flaw is our greed and disrespect for this planet.

I think there is a lot of people trying to make a difference but will it help with all this nonsense that goes on?
I don't know. This kind of thing makes me very upset. I think it's true trying to make the most out of what you already
own or planning to recycle your own possessions where you can reuse them again is the best plan.
companies like apple are big offenders for me they make basically disposable products with a limited life and no ability
to really recycle it on your own again the con mentioned in a previous post they want to either A) get you to go to the apple store
or send it to apple for a replacement by them (of course) or B) throw it away and buy another one (of course).

I think the idea for me with linux now is i can recycle old computers that people want to chuck and give them new life and not waste!
I was planning on buying a brand new computer but im kind of in the camp now where i may be a used desktop online and put peppermint on it
i think that would be a better contribution than putting more money into a companies pocket who just wants you to feed them more $$$$$$$ and create more waste!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:57:58 pm by iamesperambient »
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

...yes we have the maximum power to create and think, but our biggest flaw is our greed and disrespect for this planet.

You said it, iamesperambient. 

I couldn't have put it better than that.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:57:02 pm »
 :-* glad to see more people feel this way!
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ