Choose style:

Author Topic: Thoughts for future releases  (Read 9102 times)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
Re: Thoughts for future releases
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:44 am »
Thanks @PCNetSpec, I look forward to Peppermint having a bright future :)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:41 pm »
Recently I've been messing around with Tahrpup on an old laptop and I have to give huge credit to the Puppy team for what they've achieved Puppy is truly a remarkable distro and transformed what was only any use as a door stop into a very usable laptop, that said it's not something I would run on my main PC but there is one or two things I noticed  about Puppy I think Peppermint could benefit from so one that comes to mind is the option to "send to wallpaper containing folder" when you right click on an image file.

I for one like to change wallpaper a lot and like to keep them in one location, I understand this is probably more easily done in Puppy due to running in root but is there anyway it can be implemented in Peppermint and would it be worth the effort

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »
Suppose it would be easy enough to add a right-click option using a "file manager action" script.

If it's to copy it to /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers .. it'd need to prompt for a password though.

We already have the option to store the pic wherever you want, then right click it and "Set as wallpaper"
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »
If it's to copy it to /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers .. it'd need to prompt for a password though.

That would still be easier than what we have now because unless there's something I'm not understanding to place an image file in /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers we have to right click and copy the file then navigate through 4 locations and at one point right click open as root and input the password then paste the file a total of 10 mouse clicks + password

if we had your action script then it would just take right click, copy to wallpaper location, input password a total of 2 mouse clicks + password

But having given it some more thought you're right there's really not much benefit, what's so difficult about creating a Wallpapers folder in the Pictures folder and storing the wallpapers there (no password required) , I just thought when I saw it in Puppy it was a neat little feature

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 06:44:48 pm »
Yup, wallpapers tend to be user specific (on a multi user system you wouldn't want every user bunging them all in the same system wide folder), so really you should have them in your home folder somewhere .. then it's simply a matter of right-clicking and setting as your wallpaper.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »
Another thought I've had for a future release is to include Pysiogame to the kids edutainment pack here's the Sourceforge page http://sourceforge.net/projects/pysiogame/

I actually found this by accident and installed it to my Grand-Daughters PC and as far as I can see it's an excellent program for children in many way as good as gcompris it has a bright colourful interface and tons of educational activities and it's licensed under the GPL

I think it would make a fantastic addition to the edutainment pack

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »
Which version did you installl ?

the version from sourceforge (2.40 tarball) ?

or the version from the repos (1.30 deb ?

it would be trivial to add the version from the repos to the peppermint-edutainment-pack metapackage .. so I'm game for that :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:33:17 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »
I just installed it from the repos  v.1.30.811

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
I'm gonna guess the version from sourceforge will be more functional .. there's a big difference in package size

14MB source tarball

as opposed to the repos 3MB deb .. but this looks like it'd be fairly easy to package.

I'll take a looksee at them both .. cheers for the heads up.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 05:52:57 pm »
That's a huge difference

If your able to package it i would appreciate a chance to install it, alternatively maybe you could help me compile it because I've never done that before :)

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 06:28:11 pm »
it doesn't actually require compiling .. just unpacking and a menu item creating

and python-pygame and espeak installing.

But to tell the truth I can't see much difference besides a few more config options .. in fact I think the repos version is better, so I don't know where the extra file size is coming from  :-\

[EDIT]

The file size difference is coming from more artwork, so I'm guessing there's more options in the "visual" type games.

I can help you install 2.40 if you want ? .. you can even have both installed at the same time.
(then maybe you can tell me what the differences are)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:36:30 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline imiolek.i

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:28 pm »
The additional size comes from the images from art4apps - its 589 images used in one game that teaches 589 words in 12 categories - available under language/word builders, but these are not translated to all languages so if you are not using English (or Polish), you are not likely to notice a difference since these are not displayed if not translated.

The game is being rebuilt again, activities are still looking pretty much the same, but have been moved around, so they are grouped in categories better, also an attempt has been made to group activities by age, so very hard activities are not shown to preschoolers, the menu has also been slightly changed, it's not as colourful as it used to be, not sure if it's good or bad thing.

The new version is waiting to be released as soon as all translations are completed. This version is fully working but some things are still not translated,  available at: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzzRSdFJhjQ8NHBhYTZOTGpSZE0&usp=sharing#list

You use it the same way as the one from sourceforge, still python-pygame and espeak packages are required. After installing the required soft you can unpack the file and double click the pysiogame.py file (mark as executable if not working). Also more on manual "installing" available here: http://www.pysiogame.net/installation/

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »
Hi imiolek.i and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the inside info .. always good to hear straight from the horses mouth as it were ;)

So far I'm loving what I'm seeing, so thanks for the link to 3.14, I'll give it a spin with an eye to packaging it for Peppermint and adding it to our edutainment metapackage (for Peppermint 6) if it's OK with Shane and Kendall...

Great to see younger kids being given the attention they deserve with good solid fun and educational software, and that you're using python so supporting multiple platforms too .. keep up the terrific work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:03:20 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:41 am »
Hi imiolek.i

Thanks for the inside information and thanks so much for the program, it looks amazing  I have it installed on my 8 year old Grand-Daughters PC, she loves playing the activities in gcompris and I know she's gonna love playing the activities in pysiogame, I also have it installed on a 7 year old boys laptop I built for a friend recently

I can't express how much I appreciate your work and I'd be happy to provide you with any feedback if you wish

Keep up the good work and many thanks

Graeme

Offline imiolek.i

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:07 am »
Hi again,
Thanks everyone for the kind words about this application.

@PCNetSpec thank you for your interest in adding this soft to the Peppermint. After Christmas I'll try to see if Miriam could update the package for Debian also, so it might be easier for you to go of that one, not sure, unfortunately I'm not that familiar with all the packaging stuff. As to it being multi-platform, it started as a game for Linux anyway :)

@emegra - I'm glad you find it useful (for the kids), most of the activities may be a bit too easy though for 8 years old girl. I'd be more than happy to receive any feedback that could improve this program.

Thanks.