Choose style:

Author Topic: Putting Peppermint on an HP Steam Notebook (SOLVED)  (Read 2697 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Putting Peppermint on an HP Steam Notebook (SOLVED)
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:50 pm »
Peppermint friends,

I've been looking at the Google Chromebook market for a couple of weeks now, and, from what I can see, the Google Chromebook, and its market, still have a way to go.

Now, I'm looking for some guesses here and nothing more, but does anyone think there's a reasonable chance I could put Peppermint on a low spec notebook computer like this?

My wife does not want to return to Windows, and I respect for that, but this is the type of inexpensive notebook computer I would like to find for her, but running Linux, and not Windows.

Thank you,

perknh

Here are the specs:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Operating system
Windows 8.1 with Bing 64

Processor
Intel® Celeron® N2840 with Intel HD Graphics (2.16 GHz

up to 2.58 GHz

1 MB cache

2 cores)

Processor technology
Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics (up to 0.97 GB)

Display
13.3" diagonal HD LED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Memory
2 GB 1333 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (onboard)

Hard drive
32 GB eMMC

Wireless
802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo

Power supply
45 W AC power adapter

Battery
3-cell

36 Wh Li-ion

Battery life
Up to 7 hours and 45 minutes

Ports
1 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Expansion slots
1 microSD media card reader

Energy efficiency
ENERGY STAR® qualified; EPEAT® Silver

Webcam
HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated dual array digital microphone

Color
Orchid magenta

gradient tulip purple to lily pink keyboard

Keyboard
Full-size island-style gradient purple to pink keyboard

Dimensions
13.12 x 9.02 x 0.77 in

Weight
3.42 lb

Warranty
1-year limited hardware warranty

toll-free technical support; 90-days limited software technical support (from date of purchase)

What's in the box
Gift card

Software included
McAfee LiveSafe™

Skype; mysms; Getting Started with Windows 8; TripAdvisor; Netflix; 7-Zip; Dropbox; OneDrive

Office 365 Personal
[close]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:33:09 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Putting Peppermint on an HP Steam Notebook
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:43 pm »
I think Peppermint should fly on a machine with these specs.  Intel Celeron processors are very good.  The only issues could be the UEFI's secure boot.  You'll have to switch it to legacy mode to install Peppermint.  That shouldn't be a big problem.  After that it should be pretty much plain sailing.  As far as I can see, it gets a green light  ;).   I would wait for another opinion before making the plunge though.  It looks like a really nice little machine - good luck  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:48 pm »
Thank you, AndyInMokum.  I think it would be the perfect, light, and portable computer for my wife.   Why in the world Chromebooks are so centered, with rare exception, on Matte screens I do not know.  If a Chromebook would start looking like these Steam notebooks, I think they'd take off.  I'd prefer it if it had a couple more GBs of memory, of course.

Of course, I could say that about myself too -- along with some added processing power!  ;D

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

My only fear is that this notebook could end up having a matte screen too.  Matte screens seem to be in vogue these days, but I prefer a glossy to a matte screen.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:31:09 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:49:05 pm »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:01 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I was beginning to look into this model on YouTube after I looked into the HP model for my wife -- which they don't seem to have at Amazon.

Funny how MATE is becoming a part of my life. 

I waited for a long while to chat with an HP representative concerning the screen type -- whether its glossy or matte.  Finally, I closed the session and decided to send them an email instead.  It's just one simple question, "Is the screen glossy or matte?"

My wife enjoys videos.  As little as I like matte, I know she likes a matte screen even less than I do.

Thank you very much,

perknh

P.S.

I found the answer this morning.  These notebooks, at least the 11" versions, have AntiGlare displays, which means they have matte screens.

Now we know HP Steam Notebook Computers are, at present, Linux compatible, but would display streaming color videos poorly in a dark room.  On the other hand, a matte screen would be better for a person who needs to use a portable computer in a well-lit area -- especially with lots and lots of very bright light.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:33:50 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:19:03 pm »
Well, since I can't very well get away from a matte screen.  I figure I might as well for 4 GBs.

I ended up going old-fashioned.  I bought used, but allegedly in a condition like new.  I bought an old Acer C720 Chromebook -- or it's its ilk and kind.

This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-NX-SHEAA-004-11-6-Inch-Netbook/dp/B00GZB88MU/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1417733202&sr=8-20&keywords=Acer+C720+4+gb+Chromebook#productDetails

I hope it will be as described, and I want to thank you all for all your help and insights.  I made some compromises here, but that's life.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.  I hope this thread will help anyone considering buying a Steam Notebook Computer too --  that is if they are going to convert it to Linux which, of course, is the only way to go!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:34:06 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Putting Peppermint on an HP Steam Notebook (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »
Nice one  ;)!! Looking forward to hearing about the Peppermint conversion  8)!!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »
Thank you, AndyInMokum,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to go further than Ubuntu or Debian -- the way this Crouton thing works.  If this is the case, I'll aim for MATE for sure, with our Peppermint interface in order to feel at home.

I've heard that one fellow was able put Fedora on his Chromebook, but I don't have a clue how he did so.  If I can figure that one out -- without messing everything up -- I'll happily put Peppermint on this notebook computer.  :)

perknh

P.S.

I always Peppermintize every distribution I can get my hands on!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:34:23 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »
I have just been playing around with an Italian distro called, Semplice Linux, (you've got to say it with an Italian accent  :D).  It is a Debian based distro linked to their unstable repositories, (Sid).  Like Crunchbang, it uses OpenBox.  I've only tried it as a Live session.  My goodness, it is quick and being Italian, very pretty.  Being based on Debian's Sid repositories, It has near bleeding edge software, it is a rolling release too.  It feels really nice - somewhat similar to Crunchbang.  I like to have a pure Debian distro installed.  I find what I learn from them supplements what I learn in Peppermint really well.  I think I'll drop Crunchbang for a while and install Semplice Linux next to Peppermint in the morning  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 06:14:45 am »
Hello AndyInMokum,

I'm totally green behind the ears with this Chromebook idea, but from what I've seen, looking at YouTube videos about Crouton, there will be various Debian flavors and Ubuntu flavors from which to choose, and install, next to Chrome.  I'll look to see if Semplice Linux is on the list.

I'll now read about Semplice.  I have a lot of respect for the developers of Debian.  They're on the front lines for all of us downstream.  I explored Sparky Linux -- a Polish distribution -- and the developers, and the support staff there are terrific.  From what I read from PCNetSpec, there should be an option to install MATE on this Chromebook.  If I can do that I'll be able to make my Chromebook resemble Peppermint.  ;)

perknh

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:34:46 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 06:33:31 am »
Hi perknh, I gave up on Sempice Linux.  I couldn't get it to install, no matter what I did.  It kept stalling.  After about two hour of struggling, I decided I didn't want to play any more.  So I picked up my ball and stomped off in a rage  ;D

I've read a lot of good things about Sparky Linux.  I'll have to give that one a more in depth look.  Have fun with your new acquisition.  Its "Sinterklaas" here in The Netherlands today.  Have a great one  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:41:44 am »
Hi perknh, I gave up on Sempice Linux.  I couldn't get it to install, no matter what I did.  It kept stalling.  After about two hour of struggling, I decided I didn't want to play any more.  So I picked up my ball and stomped off in a rage  ;D

I've read a lot of good things about Sparky Linux.  I'll have to give that one a more in depth look.  Have fun with your new acquisition.  Its "Sinterklaas" here in The Netherlands today.  Have a great one  ;).

That distro sounds like the car called the Fiat from the early 80s -- pretty on the outside, but not working as well as it looks.  I guess the Fiat has since made a comeback, but it was a real flop over here back then.

I've been reading a little about Sinterklass -- sounds like as good a reason as any for a party during these cold months.  AndyInMokum, were you fortunate enough to get a Chromebook last night for a present?!!!  I like the painting of The Feast of Saint Nicholas by Jan Steen.  I see one kid crying in the painting.  Makes you wonder if the young fellow had been a bad boy by using Windows, or Apple, when he should have been using Linux during the year.  Clearly, his sister had been a good girl!

"Yep, no Chromebook this year for you, kid!"  :'(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:35:02 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 08:05:00 am »
I was thinking exactly the same about Italian cars.  They are very nice now though. No Chromebook this year for Andy :(.  Yep, Jan Steen is one of my favourite Dutch Masters.  The first time I saw this painting in the Rijksmuseum here in Amsterdam, it captivated me.  There is a whole family event going on in it.  Jan Steen always manages to include a little bit of naughty humour into his paintings  :o :D.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 08:14:05 am »
And you know behind the scenes, his sister is the one who's really the little devil -- not him.  He's the unlucky one who catches all the flak! 

Een huishouden van Jan Steen!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:35:21 pm by perknh »