Choose style:

Author Topic: Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-one Printer  (Read 2498 times)

Offline rockmorg

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-one Printer
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »
Good afternoon,

I have a printer compatibility question for anyone that may be able to help...
I installed Peppermint 5 for a co-worker of mine that needed a functional OS (XP giving her fits) on a low budget.  Anyways, Peppermint worked like a charm.  I had her PC for a few weeks and essentially made sure it would do what she needed it to without crashing.  The only thing I did not (and was not able to) test was printer compatibility.

She's running an old Dell Dimension (can't remember the series #) with a P4 and 1 GB RAM.  The printer is a Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-One.  I have limited information other than she plugs it into the back of the computer and cannot print anything.  She lives out in the middle of no-where and it is difficult for me to actually

My question is, are there known compatibility (driver) issues with Kodak printers and Peppermint 5 OS?  I did a bit of searching on the forums, etc. but could not come up with anything substantial.  I'm hoping it is just a matter of stepping her thru the Add Printer process, but I wanted to cover all my bases and make sure there's not going to be some horrendous work-around that I ultimately have to do for her! :)

Thanks to the devs for all their hard work.  It is a wonderful product.

Regards-

Morgan (rockmorg)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-one Printer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
Hi rockmorg

I'm hoping it is just a matter of stepping her thru the Add Printer process,

Hopefully that's all you should need to do when you get to the part of selecting the printer model check Kodak & Eastman Kodak hopefully you'll find the correct model in one of them, remember you'll need to use Simple Scan or Xsane for the scanner

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:38 pm »
Hi rockmorg, how's it going?  I'm going to chirp in too  :). I've done a little research myself and it appears that there is a printer driver for this older Kodak model.  Most modern Linux distributions will already have this driver included with the distro.  Peppermint Five is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which is as you probably know is a major Linux distro.  So the driver should be available.  I noticed that it is a partial driver.  This may indicate that the scanner component of the device is not supported. 

With the printer connected to the computer and turned on, navigate within Peppermint Five to: menu > System Tools > Printers.  The Printers-Localhost window will open.  Click on the ⊕ Add and select the Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-One from list.  That should link your friend's computer to her printer.  For further information please see: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Kodak/Kodak-ESP_6150.  I hope this is of help to you - good luck  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rockmorg

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:13:14 am »
Thank you both for the great information in your posts!  This gives me a great place to start from.  It is funny trying to troubleshoot something without actually seeing it right in front of me... Before leaving work today I reviewed with her again what exactly it was doing.  It may actually be that she is out of printer ink!  Funny, I thought... I will update as I find out more!

Thanks again!
-Morgan (rockmorg)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:52:55 am »
I think you'll have to install the printer-driver-c2esp package:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install printer-driver-c2esp
THEN try adding your printer though "Printers".

If there's no "exact" match for your model, try the drivers for the "ESP Office 6100 Series AiO" .. and if that doesn't work, try another until you find one that does.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:29:44 am »
Hi rockmorg, how's it going?  I've done a little research myself and it appears that there is a printer driver for this older Kodak model.  Most modern Linux distributions will already have this driver included with the distro.  Peppermint Five is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which is as you probably know is a major Linux distro.  So the driver should be available.  I noticed that it is a partial driver.  This may indicate that the scanner component is not supported. 

With the printer connected to the computer and turned on, navigate within Peppermint Five to: menu > System Tools > Printers.  The Printers-Localhost box will open.  Click on the ⊕ Add and select the Kodak ESP 6150 All-in-One from list.  That should link your friend's computer to her printer.  For further information please see: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Kodak/Kodak-ESP_6150.  I hope this is of help to you - good luck  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.