Choose style:

Author Topic: The New Intel Processors (SOLVED)  (Read 9233 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The New Intel Processors (SOLVED)
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »
 Hello Peppermint Nation,

I've been reading about processors, and I'm gathering that you probably get the best bang for your buck with Intel's i5 processor -- not the i7. 

I've been very lucky with my Toshiba laptop computer which has an Intel 2.4 GHz processor, but now Intel appears to have renamed their processors.  Since I still need to buy a more affordable Windows computer in order to install and run Linux, I'm wondering if Intel's i5 processor is generally considered the way to go.  Or would an i3 processor be equivalent to 3.0 GHz processor?

By the way, a 3.0 GHz processor sounds pretty good to me too.

Any speculations would be appreciated.  I'm somewhat confused with Intel's new lineup of processors.

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:15:17 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: The New Intel Processors
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »
the 3 5 and 7 are just how many cores it has you still need to shop for the ghz you want...  example being i would think a 2.6 i5 would perform much better then a 1.6 i7 would...  least that is how i understand the processors to be...  I only own dual cores at this time and they work great for linux so I am sure an i3 or i5 would be plenty for you depending upon the speed it is...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The New Intel Processors
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »
the 3 5 and 7 are just how many cores it has you still need to shop for the ghz you want...  example being i would think a 2.6 i5 would perform much better then a 1.6 i7 would...  least that is how i understand the processors to be...  I only own dual cores at this time and they work great for linux so I am sure an i3 or i5 would be plenty for you depending upon the speed it is...

Thank you, rjm65.

I haven't seen any GHz figures, but I'll start digging deeper for that information now.

That's exactly what I needed to know!  :)

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: The New Intel Processors (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:58:58 pm »
That is incorrect.

i3, i5, and i7 has nothing to do with number of cores and.or threads

and it's been a long time since core frequency was the overriding factor in judging a CPU's capabilities

There are dual core i7's and quad core i5's

And the there are 1.8Ghz processors that are MUCH more capable than some say 2.4Ghz CPU's
(down to things like pipeline efficiency, thread count, and amount of on-chip cache memory)

"i3", "i5", and "i7" are purely brand names .. "generally" i7's were faster than i5's but that was because most of them were quad core, and originally most i5's were dual core .. BUT .. that;s no longer necessarily the case.

i7's tend to have more cache memory, and functionality than i5's .. but again that not "always" the case.

ignore the product designation .. look at the specs .. ask yourself what you are going to use the CPU for (eg. if you're only going to be web browsing, do you really need that eight core i7 haswell) and what your budget is .. then look at the specs and recommendations .. and don't limit yourself to intel, there are still market sectors / usage cases where AMD have the edge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:05:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »
...there are 1.8Ghz processors that are MUCH more capable than some say 2.4Ghz CPU's
(down to things like pipeline efficiency, thread count, and amount of on-chip cache memory)

And this is where I get very confused.  :-\

I've read that a Linux user, buying a Windows computer, is generally much safer going with Intel, but I have seen Linux computers and AMD processors go together before.

Source where I read to go with Intel -- last paragraph, page 2: 

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/ubuntu-laptop-buying-guide-2.html

But, PCNetSpec, how would I know when a 1.8 Ghz processor has more juice than a 2.4 CPU has?

I've seen those 1.8s, but I've been steering away from them.  Perhaps I need to look at those computers again with fresh eyes.

Even though I'm trying to keep up to date, I'm having difficulty keeping up with all these hardware and marketing changes.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

I read the Datamation article wrong.  Graphics are NOT processors.  Sorry about that.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:35:15 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:38 am »
And this is where I get very confused.

You and everyone else, and that's obviously the way the industry likes it.

I've read that a Linux user, buying a Windows computer, is generally much safer going with Intel, but I have seen Linux computers and AMD processors go together before.

Whilst I'm generally not a fan of AMD graphics drivers under Linux (and their habit of dropping support after a few years) the open source drivers for most AMD APU's are now quite good. .. in any case we're talking CPU's and there''s nothing wrong with their processors (CPU or graphics) it's just their Linux drivers, but that doesn't really apply to a CPU :)

But, PCNetSpec, how would I know when a 1.8 Ghz processor has more juice than a 2.4 CPU has?

Research .. the only way.

Even though I'm trying to keep up to date, I'm having difficulty keeping up with all these hardware and marketing changes.

As I said, you and everyone else .. heck I'm "in the trade" as it were, and I'm having trouble understanding what's what the CPU's any more .. and to muddy the water further they're now bunging graphics on chip, and certain CPU's are better at certain tasks such as archive compression/decompression than more expensive models.

As I said in my last posting, the best way forward now is to define your budget, then define what you're most going to use the PC for but include CPU intensive things like Gaming / 3D CAD / Large database manipulation / etc.

Are you talking about a laptop or building your own desktop ?

Are
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:36:09 am »
...the best way forward now is to define your budget, then define what you're most going to use the PC for but include CPU intensive things like Gaming / 3D CAD / Large database manipulation / etc.

Are you talking about a laptop or building your own desktop ?

I was thinking about building my own laptop, but what a difference a year makes!

Last year I bought two Windows 7 laptop computers, customized them, and then easily put converted then over to Peppermint Linux desktop.  This year just about every computer I'm looking at has Windows 8 or 8.1 installed. (But we both knew this was going to happen sooner or later.  Well, it has happened!  >:()

All I'm looking for is something small enough to tote around, but not so small that I can't see the screen.  I want a portable laptop to use in McDonald's, or a café, to help get me out of the house.  I usually read the news, send an occasional email, use Skype, listen to music, or watch Linux reviews on YouTube.  But, no, I'm not a gamer -- at least not yet!  At present I have no great plans for this computer.

Although I hope I'm wrong here, I don't think this year is going to produce the holiday deals we saw last year.  I know the media says the economy is improving for all of us, but things still feel very pinched around here.

This is the computer I'm looking at right now:  I just discovered it this morning.  I know it's a pig in a poke, but if I can't convert it to Linux, there's always some family member who will gladly take the thing off my hands.  The processor is weak, and, from the looks of it, it comes with either Window 8 or 8.1  installed -- which I know is not a good thing for us Linux users.  (I never had an Asus, and I know nothing about its boot configurations.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/7288011.p?id=1219262036899&skuId=7288011&ep=pv-1.6.4,rc-mv,dr-all,av-1.0,rk-12

Thank you PCNetSpec for the thoughts you shared.  I feel much better about my confusion now!  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:36 am »
Seems like (at least) Mint will go on that model:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2242176
so that's good news, a nd a good omen for Peppermint too :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
I may be wrong about processors today, but that is how it was in the old days...    Anyways one thing I will say about the machine you are looking at is stay away from it.... 
And again that maybe my old school knowledge talking but the word CELERON in a processor means it is junk... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 09:40:27 am »
On the contrary, he may be pleasantly surprised by that CPU .. it's not lagging far behind the first generation of i3 3217U

See here:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2830

Celerons nowadays are plenty powerful for most tasks, and tend to be the same tech as 2 or 3 generations old top end stuff

so chances are, the modern Celeron is effectively a core 2 duo .. which is still fairly powerful tech, and considered "high end" not that long ago.

[EDIT]

That link also shows what I mean about clock speed .. the i3 is a slightly faster CPU, yet has a lower clock speed  :o

CPU designation is now as clear as mud
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:44:25 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:36 am »
Hello PCNetSpec and rjm65,

The computer does have a 90% favorability rating.  :)

I never dual boot.  I keep one OS to one drive -- always.

If the computer can run Mint, it should certainly be able to run Peppermint, and maybe even Ubuntu Unity too!

Thank you.  I appreciate so much the conversation and the very helpful links.

perknh

P.S.

A confession:  I compare everything against Ubuntu Unity.  Hardcore Linux users may not like this, and no eggs please, but I think Canonical's Unity DE is the flagship DE of the entire Linux world.  Although the Unity and Peppermint seem worlds apart at first glance, both Peppermint's LXDE and Ubuntu's Unity exemplify ease of use.  Whether this Asus computer will be able to run Unity is anyone's guess, but I think chances are it will. (I figure if it can run Windows 8, I would think it would also be able to run Unity.  I would think Unity is still lighter than Windows 8.)

Still, I'll admit,  if I had my druthers, and the means, I'd buy a System76 computer in a heatbeat.  System76 computers are gorgeous, technical works of art.  System76 is one of my favorite Linux advertisements we have here in Peppermint.

And thank you very much.  This conversation helped me a great deal.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:56:44 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:53 pm »
If it can run Cinnamon/MATE it can run Unity .. the problem with Ubuntu that the guy(s) at my link were talking about have probably already been fixed, but will be trivial if not.

Quote from: perknh (the blithering idiot)
I think Canonical's Unity DE is the flagship DE of the entire Linux world

I hope you realise I'm never talking to you again >:D

No eggs, just silence .......
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:44:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The New Intel Processors (SOLVED iN SILENCE)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »
EGG-Zactly why I left ubuntu was when they made unity, and I ended up fining linux mint, then subsequently They at mint boards sent me here, when their distro would not run on my old ibm laptop.... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 01:33:12 am »
Well, here's what I ended up with for a small portable computer.

A Dell Inspiron 5423*

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Price as reviewed / Starting price   $899 / $699  Paid $350 (after applying for a Walmart Credit Card.)
Processor   1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U
Memory   6GB
Hard drive   500GB SSD
Graphics     Intergrated Intel HD Graphics
Operating system   Windows 8 (64-bit)
Dimensions (WD)   13.7x9.5 inches
Height   0.8 inch
Screen size (diagonal)   14 inches
System weight / Weight with AC adapter   4.1 pounds / 5.1 pounds
Category   Midsize
[close]

I had a bear of time putting putting Linux on this computer.  I was finally able to install Crunchbang, then Ubuntu, and finally Peppermint. (And right now the letters are jumping around a bit as I write this post, but I am tired.  There is no lock of the touch pad -- in case I'm touching the pad accidentally.)

I hope this computer is a better one than the one I was looking at on Friday.  It was both a clearance and a display model.  That's why I got this computer for $350 instead of the clearance price of $468.  It's original price at Walmart, before it was put on clearance, was $648.

Generally speaking, I think I did okay with this purchase.  It was much easier installing LInux onto our two Windows 7 computers than installing Linux onto this one individual Windows 8 computer.  I say Grr to Windows 8.  >:(     

*The layout and sources here are from a modified CNET review.  I modified the specs a little because some of the specs of my computer's features are different than the original CNET review.

Here's the original CNET review in case somebody wants to see what this computer looks like.

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-5423/

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 03:05:52 am »
Hi perknh, Try entering this code into the terminal to put a delay on your touchpad while you are typing:
Code: [Select]
syndaemon -i 2.5 -d
It should immobilize your touchpad while typing and continue for a further 2.5 seconds after you have finished typing.  The time delay can be varied in half second increments.  This function is not persistent and will not survive a reboot.  If it works, you can add it to your autostart folder to make it persistent with the instructions in this tutorial: Disabling and setting a delay on a laptop touchpad.  Have a play around with it at different delays.  I find it really handy because my touch pad is ultra sensitive. I hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:32:18 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.