Author Topic: can anyone recommend an external drive that WILL WORK OUT OF THE BOX  (Read 2409 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
for peppermint 5 32bit. cant find one drive that ACTUALLY works. I don't want to set anything up  or go through leaps and bounds
i just need extra space to put videos/music etc on. if anyone already is using a brand/model and knows it works OUT OF THE BOX
with peppermint 5 please let me know thank you.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: can anyone recommend an external drive that WILL WORK OUT OF THE BOX
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:39:27 am »
Hi iamesperambient

I've yet to come across one that doesn't work out of the box

What kind of drive are you talking about external HDD, USB drive etc ?

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:02:15 am »
im using a thumbdrive i got from new egg.com only allows me to transfer small files anythign else like video doesnt copy correctly.

i have another hd i had with my mac linux reads it so i can play my whole ripped collection of CDs but can not copy new items to it.
I tried a WD passport and it had this stupid locker thing on it and could not get it to turn off. just want  a simple drive with a good amount of space
i can plug in and go. i just need a model and brand name.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
and a usb plug in drive for extra storage.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:35:59 pm »
Hello iamesperambient,

I took a chance trying an external hard drive by buying an external 2.5" external hard drive enclosure online.  I then put my old Hewlett Packard Hitachi hard drive into the device, and plugged it into my USB 3.0 port, and I've had a wonderful experience using this hard drive enclosure.

Now please don't hold me to my thoughts here.  As we all have learned in Peppermint forum, what works for one computer may not work for another.  Right?  ;)

The first thing I'd like to know is if your computer has a USB 3.0 port.  You can determine this if there is some of the color blue in one of your USB ports.  Having a USB 3 port makes a USB 3 external hard drive run very, very fast.

Ideally, if your computer has a USB 3.0 port, I'd buy a Toshiba external hard drive that is 3.0 compatible.  I'd then format the external drive to FAT, and put whatever Linux distribution you want on it.  (I've had great luck with both Peppermint 5 and Ubuntu 14.04.1 with the Unity desktop.)

If your computer only has 2.0 ports, this will probably still work for you, but things will be slower -- and maybe much slower, I don't know.

To have your USB external hard drive boot up first, you'll have to go into your computer's BIOS and change your computer to boot first from an external hard drive first.  On my computer, I boot from USB first.

What kind of drive are you talking about external HDD, USB drive etc ? -- emegra

Some more information from answering emegra's questions would be helpful here.  But what I'm sharing with you is what I'm experiencing myself.  Right now, at this very moment, I'm writing to you using my external hard drive that is plugged into my USB 3.0 port.  It's terrific, it really is.  :)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:39:23 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
mine is actually usb 2.0 :/ any recommendations?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:23:22 pm »
mine is actually usb 2.0 :/ any recommendations?

There's always a risk involved to some degree whenever we try something new.  That being said, I just put my external hard drive into my USB 2 port, and I listened to Led Zeppelin's  Stairway To Heaven on YouTube without a problem.  Now I don't have super high speed Internet access.  I have low, high speed access -- if that makes any sense.

My computer has 6 GBs of memory, but only a Intel Pentium 2020M Processor.

There are so many variables, iamesperambient.  But this MIGHT be a solution to your low disk space and your high computer temperature that you have spoken of before.

Now right now, I'm running Ubuntu off my external hard drive, and Peppermint 5 is on my internal hard drive.  Things will probably be lighter and faster for you using Peppermint 5 than Ubuntu 14.04.1.  But all of this is just my best guess as how things might go for you.

Here is my inxi -F ouput:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

P.S.

According to SMART Data and Self Tests taken right now, my internal hard drive temperature is 33° C / 91° F.  Remember, that's because I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.1 in my external hard drive enclosure , but that's a pretty darn good internal hard drive temperature if I have to say so myself!  :)

But we use this  17.3" laptop here as a desktop replacement computer, so using an external hard drive presents no inconvenience for us here.  See, we never move the darn thing!  ;)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:40:17 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
It seems to me the drive you have is working out of the box, the problem is permissions relating to that drive

I think Perknh suggestion of a HDD inside a USB enclosure is a good one and almost any drive I can think of will work

Here's a list of 4 HDD's I have installed on my OMV NAS (Debian) which should work on any Linux distro

Western Digital EADS-11M2B2               1TB
Western Digital WD5000AUDS-6         500GB
Seagate ST310212A                                        9GB
Seagate ST340015A                                    40GB

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:54:20 pm »
ANY basic external HDD or USB stick (that doesn't use some kind of encryption that requires Windows only software should work in Linux.

There is nothing OS specific about the hardware.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »
And, if I might add, we have Brown Thursday (Thanksgiving), and Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving), coming upon us really soon.  I'm thinking you might well be able to get a good deal on an external hard drive at Walmart in a couple of weeks. 

If my memory is serving me right, last year Walmart was selling 1 terabyte Toshiba external hard drives for about $50 on Black Friday.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:39:47 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 05:48:42 pm »
And, if I might add, we have Brown Thursday (Thanksgiving), and Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving), coming upon us really soon.  I'm thinking you might well be able to get a good deal on an external hard drive at Walmart in a couple of weeks. 

If my memory is serving me right, last year Walmart was selling 1 terabyte Toshiba external hard drives for about $50 on Black Friday.  ;)

That's a great idea.  Get a 1TB Toshiba or something like it on Black Friday. If you are only going to use it with your Linux machine, format it to ext4 and change the ownership permissions.  It will be lovely and secure and should run as sweet as a nut  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:20 pm »
thanks everyone i will look into those models you suggest and see what happens.