Author Topic: Dual screen issue (solved)  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Kunkuru

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Dual screen issue (solved)
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »
Hi everyone. I have just put Peppermint 5 onto my computer. (I was running Ubuntu prior to this). I really like it.
I am running a basic Nvidia GFX card so I can run my monitor from VGA and my TV via HDMI. I have two problems I'm struggling to get working right. The first is on my monitor, the screen seems to be offset. the edge of the Peppermint logo on the start menu is cut in half.
The other issue (which I'm guessing is related to the first) is both screens are working as one. (one window stretched across both screens.) I would like the tv screen to run seperate to my monitor so i can use the icons on the right of the tool bar without having to look at the TV.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:37:34 am by Kunkuru »

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Re: Dual screen issue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:37:31 pm »
im currently ising a dell latitude notebook with peppermint five 32 bit.
i have it hooked up to a monitor and keyboard and mouse like a desktop.
what i did was i went to my monitor settings after plugging in and removed
the laptops screen, and selected only vga and hit save (saved the setting)
than i changed some other settings in power manager basically so when i have the laptop lid closed it only uses the external monitor.
not sure if you are trying to do that but as far as using your laptop and external and the same time it doesn't really work everything will be
scaled incorrectly on one of the monitors.  just be careful if this is what your trying to do when you disconnect the monitor make sure you recheck
the box for your laptops monitor open the lid and make sure it works first, and uncheck the external before you disconnect other wise you may have an issue
getting your one screen to turn back on. Also make sure you set your resolution correctly and that the system knows to use your externals resoulation not your laptops.
i hope this helped im a newcoming to linux so i'm prob not the best to be helping but i can try.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline Kunkuru

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Dual screen issue (solved)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:02 am »
I get what your trying to explain. I am running a desktop + TV for movies etc. I think I have solved it by making both screens separate through Nvidia controls panel.
I never had to use it in Ubuntu as it auto detected my TV when it turned on. If I played around a bit more before asking I could of saved some time. Regardless I'm enjoying this distro. Thanks for your input regardless.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:16:05 am »
Hi Kunkuru, happy to hear you found a solution, and that you're enjoying Peppermint :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kunkuru

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:03:55 am »
Thank you. im trying to make the most of the search bar. many answers are already there. :D