Choose style:

Author Topic: New Asus mb. Trying to use usb crashes system  (Read 1617 times)

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 and 6
New Asus mb. Trying to use usb crashes system
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
I recently rebuilt my system with a new Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. This utilizes uefi bios but everything seems to boot ok after a few twiddles in the bios. However if I try and use any onboard usb ports the system will crash. I have two remote front case ports connected to an internal port on the mb and they work ok. I have wireless mouse and wireless lan plugged into them. my inxi report is in the "What are you Running" thread.

Not sure where to go from here.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: New Asus mb. Trying to use usb crashes system
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:37:09 pm »
So the external USB ports work, but the onboard ones don't ?

Have you run a full system update, then rebooted ?

[EDIT]

I notice from your other topic:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1203.0.html
Your PC's hostname is still "GA-MA78GM-UD2H" .. I take it you've not reinstalled Peppermint, just moved the hard drive across ? .. that's usually fine, but just as a test do the USB slots still crash the PC if you boot from a LiveUSB rather than your old installation ?

Also, does plugging something into the USB slots crash the PC before Peppermint has booted .. eg. if you boot to the GRUB screen, then plug something into the USB port, does the PC still IMMEDIATELY crash ?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:01:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:30:15 pm »
At the moment it is going from bad to worse. This morning it was quite stable and I even configured the printer and printed some documents. Tonight anything related to usb will crash it apart from the wireless mouse of which the wireless transmitter is plugged into the front remote case port and strangely I now have the wireless network dongle connected to an onboard usb port at the rear. If I plug a flash drive in during the login screen it will crash, even on the spare front remote port. Also if I plug it in when logged into the bios it will crash as well.

Now for the really bizarre touch, no matter how I fiddle in bios I cannot boot from a live cd. It defaults directly to P5 which boots ok but rather slowly. Looking on the interweb the usb crash seems to be a well known problem but usually on Windows machines. I was trying to update bios from the usb stick but I have no chance whilst it's crashing.

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:10 am »
At the moment I've given up on this. In desperation I put the old mother board back which is running but not sure how long for. :'(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
If the motherboard crashes hen you plug in a USB device even during the BIOS/POST or at the GRUB menu, the motherboard is faulty. .. simple as...

No operating system or drivers have been loaded at that point, so it would crash in Windows or without an OS too .. take it back and ask for a replacement.

If you're still worried that it's a model fault .. tell them you no longer trust ASUS and want a different make as the replacement.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:37:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec