Choose style:

Author Topic: Slow Loading (SOLVED)  (Read 7711 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Slow Loading
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »
Have you installed any plugins in Chromium, or have you got any bookmarks/passwords you need to keep ?

The reason I ask is that instead of just clearing the cache we could just completely set it back to defaults ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
Well, I cleared the cache and it's still slow. I'm gonna try firefox now. Stay tuned... :)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 09:54:36 am »
I might add here that my mini is slow also, slower then it should be and I don't use anything but firefox...  I think there is an issue with these specific dells...
I had linux mint 17 on it first and it was so slow I ended up going with pep5...  Pep 5 is a little faster then mint 17 on it, but it still runs like the processor ain't up to full speed, even though it is showing it is running at the full 1666mhz, it feels like it is only running at half that speed or 800 mhz... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:51 am »
Hey You Guys!
I'm on firefox now and it is much faster! Go figure. I kinda hate how there's the firefox bar at the top that take a lot of space. Is there anything I should be aware of that's missing or different from chromium? I wonder if this qupzilla I read about would be faster still? Also, should I eliminate the chromium and if so please tell me how? Thanks!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 10:21:47 am »
Hi evie7, that's great news, Firefox to the rescue!  Its really annoying how Chromium/Chrome goes like a fire breathing dragon on some systems and is as slow as a geriatric, three legged tortoise on others  ;D.  I use Qupzilla as my backup browser.  That is definitely a fire breathing dragon  :o.  It is also very light so, it doesn't have all the add ons and features that Firefox and Chromium/Chrome have.  Give it a go though.  Its in the repos:
Code: [Select]
apt install qupzilla -y
Good luck  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:09 am »
Ok, i'm gonna try qupzilla and I'll let you know what I think. How do I remove chromium? Is it sudo apt get-remove chromium? Thanks! ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 10:57:22 am »
Hi evie7, to fully remove Chromium use the following command.
Code: [Select]
apt remove --purge chromium-browser -y
Its not necessary to remove it to run other browsers though.  Good luck and have fun  ;)!!

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 11:33:26 am »
Ok, qupzilla is definitely the fastest. What (add ons and features) won't run on it? I notice I'm not being told that I'm spelling something wrong as I'm typing this, and I was before. Is that something that can be fixed? Shoot, I really need it!  :D Also, I usually like to remove stuff I don't use, just to keep things tidy. Is there some reason I should keep chromium?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 11:33:55 am »
Hello evie7 and AndyInMokum, may I share a alternative opinion?

evie7, do yourself a big favor, and don't remove Chromium.  Just don't use it! 

Now if you wan't to remove Chromium as a stand alone Menu item we can do that, but save yourself a lot of grief, by not removing Chromium browser from your system.  (I once insisted on removing Chromium with hardheaded determination.  PCNetSpec warned me that this was not a good idea, but I insisted, and I removed Chromium, and I had four-fifths an operating system when I was done!  >:(

Why leave Chromium?  Because it's tied in to a lot of processes that Peppermint uses.  If you remove Chromium you'll discover one day that this program doesn't work, or that program doesn't work, and then you'll realize you did all this damage to yourself, and your OS, by removing Chromium browser. 

But like I say, we can replace it's entry in your Menu, above Software Manager, if you'd like to see a different browser and icon listed there.

Here's what this procedure would consist of:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,869.msg7464.html#msg7464

I do not know the commands to replace Chromium with Qupzilla -- because I never use Qupzilla.  But with a little experimentation -- and AndyInMokum's help -- we can find the right commands to replace Chromium and its icon as a standalone Menu item.

Of course if you're absolutely determined to remove Chromium browser from your system as I once was, well, give it a whirl.  This is how we learn Linux.  It's almost a rite of passage, I believe.  And AndyInMokum is both a Qupzilla user and a Qupzilla enthusiast.  He knows what he's doing.

Good luck with whatever you decide!  ;)

perknh

P.S.

I usually replace Chromium with Chrome browser.  Chrome is a heck of a lot nosier than Chromium browser, I admit that, but with few tweaks and add-ons, that problem can be solved.  And, although, I hate to admit it:  Chrome browser works better on my computers than Chromium -- don't ask me why.  But Firefox is getting better and better all of the time.  Firefox is a winner too.  But, contrary to popular belief, Firefox can be a nosy browser too.  Again, with add-ons and a few tweaks, Firefox will work just fine. 

I go back and forth between Chrome and Firefox -- using Chrome 90% of the time.  Now if you decide to get Chrome, use this link.  It's secure and stable:

https://www.google.com/chrome/

Firefox you can get from your Software Manager.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:15:10 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Loading (SOLVED)
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 12:39:05 pm »
Ok You Guys,
I'm keeping Chromium, Firefox and Qupzilla. I don't need to switch things around in the menu, it doesn't bother me that much...I think I'm all set! I might try Chrome one day, but right now I'm diggin Qupzilla. Feels like old times. I'll mark this as solved. Thanks again you guys!  :-* ;) :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 12:58:45 pm »
I'm really happy it helped you out  :).  If and when you want to try Google Chrome, just let us know and we will walk you through it - its very easy to do too.  I've got a pre-made set of instructions saved  ;).  What I meant about Qupzilla is that is doesn't have all the add ons and extensions that Chromium/Chrome and Firefox have.  If you like it nice and simple though, Qupzilla will do the job - pronto  ;)

Offline nomko

• Linux User
    • View Profile
    • Easy tips for Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 02:51:43 pm »

Why leave Chromium?  Because it's tied in to a lot of processes that Peppermint uses. 

And in which processes Chromium ties into?? Please provide with any examples/proof to substantiate your opinion!
Don't you think that if this is true what you say here, that Chromium would be installed by default rather than Firefox?
Chromium is a stand-alone package not even tied into any Linux process whatsoever. It will install some dependencies, but there are hundred more applications installing missing dependencies!

Would like to see some examples..
ASUS P5KPL-AM*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router

My Linux website

Offline nomko

• Linux User
    • View Profile
    • Easy tips for Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »
Ok, qupzilla is definitely the fastest. What (add ons and features) won't run on it? I notice I'm not being told that I'm spelling something wrong as I'm typing this, and I was before. Is that something that can be fixed? Shoot, I really need it!  :D Also, I usually like to remove stuff I don't use, just to keep things tidy. Is there some reason I should keep chromium?

Before keeping any stuff, just a question for you: when did you noticed this slow loading? right from the beginning (after installing PM) or after installing an application?
ASUS P5KPL-AM*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router

My Linux website

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 03:21:11 pm »
Hi nomko, Chromium or Google Chrome is needed for Peppermint's own little package, Ice to function.  This in-house piece of software is needed to create the web-centric SSBs.  These make Peppermint unique from other Linux distributions.  So Chromium/Chrome is tied into a Linux application.  See Chapter 5 of the Peppermint User's Guide.  Chromium IS the default browser of Peppermint exactly for this reason.  There is the option to run Ice with Google Chrome if wanted.  Many people, myself included wish Mozilla would resurrect the Prism project that was their own version of the SSB.  For the moment, we are reliant on Chromium and Chrome for our SSB functionality.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:38:52 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Clarification »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 03:50:37 pm »
OK, ENOUGH.....

nomko, you're making little sense AGAIN .. Chromium *IS* the default browser in Peppermint for this very reason (not Firefox).

Quote from: nomko
Chromium is a stand-alone package not even tied into any Linux process whatsoever. It will install some dependencies, but there are hundred more applications installing missing dependencies!

Whilst you're not entirely wrong with that statement, dependencies are a two way street .. in Peppermint 4 removing chromium would also uninstall Ice as Chromium was flagged as a dependency for Ice.
Whilst this is no longer the case (chromium is no longer flagged as an Ice dependency in the Ice control file), SSB's created with Ice will NOT function unless Chromium (or Chrome where the SSB's were created for Chrome) is installed .. so perknh was NOT wrong, uninstalling Chromium WILL break some things in Peppermint (pre-Installed SSB's for one, Ice for another in all Peppermint versions except One and Five).

Do you even use Peppermint ? .. I find it difficult to believe you'd thinks Firefox was the default browser (Firefox has not been the default browser since Peppermint One), and appear to know nothing of Ice (the app that makes Peppermint unique) and it's dependence on Chromium (and/or Chrome in Peppermint 5) even if the dependency is no longer literally enforced by the packages DEBIAN/control file.

I'm finding your attitude and mannerisms highly inflammatory towards myself, our moderators, and anyone else you decide to take a dig at .. you seem to have a need to put others down as you make a post thinking it makes you look more knowledgeable (?), then think a "no offence meant" will suffice.

I'll let you into a secret .. nothing annoys me more than people who say things like "no disrespect, but....." and then immediately go on to show disrespect .. you're falling VERY close to this kind of behaviour.

I WILL NOT have responses like yours making people feel uncomfortable about helping others on this forum, or questioning why they bother.

By all means question someone else response if/when it's potentially harmful or plain wrong .. but there are ways to do this without being confrontational

I'd suggest you treat this as a warning .. because it's most definitely meant as one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:16:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec