Choose style:

Author Topic: Slow Loading (SOLVED)  (Read 7396 times)

Offline evie7

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: Slow Loading (SOLVED)
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
Hi!
Something is weird now. I opened my gmail and there's a message at the top saying that this version of Safari is no longer supported. Should I just ignore it? Qupzilla seems to run fine...

Offline nomko

• Linux User
    • View Profile
    • Easy tips for Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2015, 05:22:52 pm »
OK, ENOUGH.....
Really?

Quote from: nomko
Chromium is a stand-alone package not even tied into any Linux process whatsoever. It will install some dependencies, but there are hundred more applications installing missing dependencies!

Whilst you're not entirely wrong, dependencies are a two way street .. in Peppermint 4 removing chromium would also uninstall Ice as Chromium was flagged as a dependency for Ice.
Ahhh... you made my point here! Somehow someone decided that Chromium has to be made a dependency of Ice...or visa versa.  And i was not talking about Chrome/Chromium as a dependency of any package! I responded to a phrase of somebody else saying that Chromium was tied into lots of processes which really doesn't make any sense and isn't based on truth either since neither Chrome or Chromium ties into lots of processes. 

And yes, i do run PM, but in a virtualbox environment. And yes i was pleased to see that PM doesn't use Firefox as default browser since Ff turned into a bloated piece of software.

I'm finding your attitude and mannerisms highly inflammatory towards myself, our moderators, and anyone else you decide to take a dig at .. you seem to have a need to put others down as you make a post thinking it makes you look more knowledgeable (?), then think a "no offence meant" will suffice.

I'll let you into a secret .. nothing annoys me more than people who say things like "no disrespect, but....." and then immediately go on to show disrespect .. you're falling VERY close to this kind of behaviour.
Sounds more like you talking about yourself PCNetSPec! So you be warned too!
ASUS P5KPL-AM*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router

My Linux website

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2015, 05:45:45 pm »
Hello evie7,

Is it an ad?  Have you been writing to a relative or friend about Apple, or Safari lately?

Because if this was an ad, you can go into Gmail's settings (at the gear), and on the first page you can go to Importance signals for ads -- in order to change your preferences.  Now that will help if this was an advertisement, but, occasionally, strange, and even creepy, advertisements can still show up within Gmail.

My next suggestion, especially if this was an ad, would be to go to the Chrome apps store and install AdBlock.   Then go to Options, and  then Filters, within AdBlock, and just check EasyList and EasyPrivacy.  Then you should be pretty well protected.

But if you think Peppermint OS is as as cool as I do, let Peppermint domain through.  Peppermint's ads are both informative and entertaining -- and very harmless.

As for that message, don't deal directly with the message.  Instead try doing what I suggest above and then reboot your computer.  That way you can tell Safari to go on a permanent Safari!  ;D
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »
Hi evie7, as I said I only ever use Qupzilla as my backup browser.  Well I just tried it for the first time since the last update on 13thDec 2014.  I do get the same message as you but Qupzilla just crashes on me after a few seconds in Gmail.  I can't find anything relating to this with a web search either.  Try what perknh suggests.  That may solve it.  Good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 06:21:24 pm »
Whilst I have no experience of Qupzilla, I'm guessing it's built on the same backend as safari so identifies itself as safari in the user agent string.

[EDIT]

Yes I'm right .. here's the user agent string for Qupzilla 1.6 (in 64bit Linux):
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.21 (KHTML, like Gecko) QupZilla/1.6.4 Safari/537.21

Maybe there's a user agent string changer for Qupzilla ?

According to one of the comments here:
http://blog.qupzilla.com/2013/04/qupzilla-142-released.html
the user agent string can be changed to tell the website you're running Firefox with User Agent Switcher .. whether this will help with Gmail is anyones guess
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec