Choose style:

Author Topic: What Makes openSuse Different From Other Distros? (SOLVED)  (Read 6517 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: What Makes openSuse Different From Other Distros? (SOLVED)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 07:38:01 am »
 Thank you, dsplayname,

I know that curiosity is going to eventually get the best of me here.  So I just signed up for an account at openSUSE.

My greatest concern is my processor.  My labtop has only a 2.4 GHz processor.  Whether or not it will be able to handle a KDE desktop environment is anyone's guess right now.

I do like openSUSE's idea of Tumbleweed -- of always having updated stable software.  I like the idea of set it and forget it.

By the way, you haven't missed anything regarding openSUSE's version 13.2.  There's still one more day to go before its release. 

perknh
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:53:07 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: What Makes openSuse Different From Other OSes? (SOLVED)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 10:19:59 am »
Probably the best answer to your question (If you mean "distros" instead of "OSes") would be .. "not a lot, under the skin Linux is Linux".

If on the other hand you *do* mean OSes .. well it's quite different from MS-DOS in a number of ways ;)

The "shortest" answer would be - "only one way to find out..."
(everything anyone else tells you is just an opinion)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:05:10 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes openSuse Different From Other OSes? (SOLVED)
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 02:52:28 pm »
Probably the best answer to your question (If you mean "distros" instead of "OSes") would be .. "not a lot, under the skin Linux is Linux".

Yup, that's what I meant!  I'll fix the title to this thread now.

The "shortest" answer would be - "only one way to find out..."
(everything anyone else tells you is just an opinion) -- PCNetSpec

Yes, they are opinions, but I consider all the opinions presented at this point in this thread to be expert opinions.  All who have shared their opinions here know a lot about Linux, and all have had personal experience with openSUSE.  You can't get better opinions than these.  :)

And, from what I'm gathering, here in Peppermint forum and from YouTube, openSUSE wasn't nearly as good a few years back as it is today.  I hear the package manager still is a little dotty, but if I can manage to install Synaptic Package Manager, I should be okay.  Our needs here are quite minimal.  We only surf the web, read some news, send some email, watch a little YouTube, and use Skype every once in a while -- that's about it for us.

It sounds strange, but we don't use the internal drive much on this computer.  We just run Peppermint on a drive that is attached externally.  We just need to have something on that internal drive.  Lubuntu was great, but that lack of automatic updating some of us are experiencing vexes the heck out of me.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback.  I now know a lot more of what I'll be getting into at openSUSE when I decide to download and install openSUSE to my computer's internal hard drive.

Peppermint forum rocks!  ;)

perknh

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
I tried a ton of distros when I was looking for one that worked on an old IBM laptop I found PCLinuxOS very stable, and I am not sure what his distro is based upon however it was quite different then the ubuntu distros for sure but it was incredibly Stable on that IBM and the guy used the machine for about 7 months until the screen died on it...  He gave me the laptop for parts and I still have it on the drive...  From what I understand PCLinux os is a rolling distro but I am not sure if it is debian or redhat or even something else it is based upon...  maybe someone else will know...  but if you are looking for a solid distro for your internal drive give that one a shot...  it is very lightweight and they have an LXDE version of it, they also have a KDE and Mint version of it also....   
Minimum Ram for KDE is 1 gig, for mate it is 512 megs  and for LXDE it is 384 megs...  I was able to get the LXDE to boot up using only about 75 megs of ram to get to the desktop after tweaking it out and removing stuff that was not used like bluetooth and printer and scanner stuff they had running at startup.... 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:22:17 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 04:44:15 pm »
I know perknh said he was going to change the topic title, but I'm pretty sure he didn't change it to:-

What Makes PCLinuxOS Different From Other Distros?

C:-)  >:D C:-)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:53:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
Hello rjm65,

My understanding is that Tumbleweed is a openSUSE project which provide rolling release versions of openSUSE.  I believe also that tomorrow -- and don't hold me to this -- LXDE is going to be added to openSUSE's lineup of openSUSE desktop enviroments -- along with KDE and Gnome.

My computer does have 6 GBs of RAM.  My processor however has only 2.4 GHz of power.

I've never tried openSUSE.  But, from what I can gather, it's getting better and better all of the time.  This is why I think PCNetSpec and VinDSL had less positive experiences with openSUSE than dsplayname.

According to DistroWatch, PCLinuxOS is a fork of Mandriva, but I know very little about Mandriva. 

Good hearing from you.  ;)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 05:23:42 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »
I believe mandriva is what is left of the old mandrake but don't quote me on that...  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 04:23:03 pm »
An update:

I've tried to install the KDE version of OpenSUSE two times.  I've had absolutely no luck getting it to boot. 

Well, I was warned that I might run into difficulties.  I never imagined, however, that I wouldn't even be able to install the distro! :-\ 

I have no problem installing and running Peppermint, any of the Ubuntus, Manjaro, Crunchbang, or SparkyLinux.  I've been looking at the Cuban distribution called Nova with the Guano desktop.  (Yep, I promise I'm not making these names up!)  And I've also been looking at Sabayon from Italy too -- a Gentoo-based distribution.

Right now I have Ubuntu installed internal my internal drive -- with Amazon removed, and online search results turned off.  Peppermint is installed on my external hard drive.

Just wanted you folks to know that my experiment with OpenSUSE went belly up.

My experiment may have been short-lived, but I thank all of you for all of your insights concerning OpenSUSE.  ;) 

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:28:04 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 05:09:11 pm »
So sorry to hear about your troubles with that distro...  It may be your machine just is finicky when it comes to linux like a few of mine are...   :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »
Oh that's a shame  :'(  However, you can't draw an opinion until you try.  I also had no luck with OpenSuse KDE.  I found the installation a drag.  I took that as an omen of things to come and gave up.  I've still got a soft spot for Crunchbang though.  I'm seriously thinking about dual booting it with Peppermint Five.  There's just something about it.  Maybe its because its another small distro with a big friendly following.  I like to think of it as Debian made sexy.

I had a look at GhostBSD 4.0 in a VM.  Its a very pleasant surprise.  It is really a very polite distro that is showing a lot of promise.  I presume the BSDs are called distros  :-\. The Maté desktop is nice and clean and very user friendly.  I like the way it offers you three different modes of Maté at boot up.  It comes with a nice selection of software too.   If I had an old machine lying around, I would seriously consider GhostBSB as an installation candidate - just for something different and fun  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 05:59:37 pm »
So sorry to hear about your troubles with that distro...  It may be your machine just is finicky when it comes to linux like a few of mine are...   :P

Yep, that's exactly what I think my problem was -- a finicky computer.  Well said, rjm65!  ;)

And, AndyInMokum, I forgot to mention it, but I did look at Porteus again -- the Maté and the LXDE versions.  When I went to install Porteus to my hard drive, a notification popped up telling me I didn't have enough space, but I've got loads of space with a 500 gb hard drive. 

Porteus is still the most lightening fast distro I've ever seen.  How I wish Porteus had a simple install icon like Peppermint's DE.

I presume the BSDs are called distros  :-\.
-- AndyInMokum

AndyInMokum, I've never tried any of the BSDs, but I believe they are called distributions too.  I've heard BSD described as Unix-like.  I'll read about GhostBSB now.  Whenever a distro is mentioned in Peppermint forum, I try to read about it.

Thank you both,

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 06:35:31 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about Porteus.  Your right about it being quick - warp speed all the way baby :o!!!!  I've got a spare 16GB thumb drive doing nothing.  I'll sling Porteus 3.0 Maté on it.  I had 2.1 before and it was a really very nice after it was set up - rock solid.  The Slackware way can be a little painful, but it produces a nice end product.  The Porteus build centre is really very cool.  Again, thanks for reminding me  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 09:18:07 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about Porteus.  Your right about it being quick - warp speed all the way baby :o!!!! 

You're certainly welcome.  It's one of the most interesting distros I've ever seen.  And thank you AndyInMokum for introducing me to Porteus many months ago.  ;) 

Here's the link to the Porteus build center.  Their home page is down.

http://build.porteus.org/

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 01:54:41 am »
Hi perknh, thanks for the link.  I've made a nice custom Porteus 3.0.1 ISO with the Maté desktop and Google Chrome.  Now to burn it to a CD boot it up and extract the ISO and install it to the thumb drive.  A weird around the houses way of doing things but its simple to follow and it works. Then its time to practice some compiling  ;)