Author Topic: What Makes openSuse Different From Other Distros? (SOLVED)  (Read 7314 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
What Makes openSuse Different From Other Distros? (SOLVED)
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:19:06 am »
Hello Pepperminters,

I see that openSuse is coming out with an upgraded OS in a couple of days -- openSuse 13.2.  What I've never understood is what makes openSuse so different from other Linux distributions.

Would anyone know what makes openSuse different from other OSes?  From the outside it seems very similar to the Debian/Ubuntu family of Linux distributions to me.

Thank you,

perknh

http://www.opensuse.org/en/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:54:12 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: What Makes openSuse Different From Other OSes?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:32 am »
I haven't checked out openSUSE for quite some time (put off by earlier experiences)

The main difference has histrically been their package management and configuration system (which used to be YaST/YaST2 (dunno what they're doing now), whiich IMHO sucked but may have improved (if they still use it at all).

It uses RPM packages as opposed to DEB packages

They do however (or so I'm told) have some very nice developer services, such as:
https://build.opensuse.org/

In "use"it probably wouldn't be hugely different .. in adding/removing software it will be different from Debian/Ubuntu/etc.

I'm told it's improved greatly since I last tried it .. but I'm happy with the Debian apt tools, and DEB's (never liked RPM's)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:34:17 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:50:29 am »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.

Now that's a Red Hat Package Manager.  So am I correct in assuming that openSuse would use yum commands like Fedora does?  Am I getting this right?

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:23:38 am »
YaST/YaST2 (dunno what they're doing now), which IMHO sucked but may have improved (if they still use it at all).

I was totally invested in openSuSe, back in '08-'09.  I ran it on my portables and the desktop; both KDE & Gnome. I was active in the community forums, blah, blah, blah.

SUSE/openSuSe is an enterprise-grade distro, much like Solaris/openSolaris or Red Hat/CentOS, et cetera.

You're probably asking yourself why I eventually gave it up!?!?!

Mark hit the nail on the head - YaST was a TOTAL kludge.  openSuSe was shockingly beautiful -- a quality product -- but, I H-A-T-E-D YaST!

I haven't kept abreast of openSuSe since 2009.  I don't know/don't care what package manager(s) they're using now, but if it's still YaST, I would suggest steering clear of it.

As an aside, during this same period of time, I discovered Mint OS 7 (Gloria) was much like the present-day Peppermint OS.  I loved 'Gloria', but alas, she eventually died, and Peppermint has filled that hole in my life.   :)

Anyway, one way of thinking about it is...  SUSE, if you will, is a German Red Hat.  They follow the same model.  And, openSuSe is the bastard child of SUSE, e.g. the free version -- with all the implications.

Not my cup o' tea any more, but...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:41 am »
Mark hit the nail on the head - YaST was a TOTAL kludge.  openSuSe was shockingly beautiful -- a quality product -- but, I H-A-T-E-D YaST!

This is very interesting. 

I get it.  YaST is a German-style yum!

VinDSL, I've always been a sucker for a pretty OS, and when I saw that openSuse had LXDE and has a new release coming out in a couple of days, I said to myself, "Why not give it a try?"

I run Peppermint on my external hard drive, and Lubuntu on my internal hard drive.  And although I do manual updating regularly, I hate the feeling that I need to babysit Lubuntu because of its automatic updating problem.  But maybe I won't jump onto this openSuse idea of mine so quickly.

But, then again, it is awfully pretty...  ;)

You guys have covered everything I needed to know about openSuse.  I never understood what was so unique about openSuse until today.

Thank you,

perknh

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
I never understood what was so unique about openSuse until today.

When I was involved with openSuSe, there was a lot of drama revolving around KDE vs Gnome.  I was in the Gnome camp.

When all the dust settled, I *think* most ppl were in agreement that openSuSe had become the best_of_the_best in regard to KDE.

If you're going to commit yourself to installing openSuSe, you might as well go the KDE route IMO.

KDE will give you the fullest openSuSe experience.   ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:28 am »
KDE will give you the fullest openSuSe experience.   ;)

Hey, why not?  What do I have to lose? 

I've only looked at KDE in passing, and I've never tried openSUSE at all.  Sounds like a fun experiment.

Thank you for that idea.

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: What Makes openSuse Different From Other OSes? (SOLVED)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:28:07 pm »
I get it.  YaST is a German-style yum!

Erm not quite, YUM (YellowDog Updater Modified) is a command line installer in the same way as apt/dkg

YasT and Zypper would be similar in function to Ubuntu's "System Settings" and  Synaptic package manager  .. only worse, MUCH worse.
(YasT can also have an ncurses front end like aptitude)

openSuSe had become the best_of_the_best in regard to KDE

OMG (first time I've ever used that acronym) .. openSUSE / KDE / YasT ... you just revealed the unholy trinity  :o

@VinDSL

I know what you mean, but can I ask what makes say Redhat or SUSE any more "enterprise class" than any other distro ?

Paid support contracts and outdated packages maybe ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:57:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:57 pm »
Quote from Portal:YaST:
YaST is the installation and configuration tool for openSUSE and the SUSE Linux Enterprise distributions. It is popular for its easy use and attractive graphical interface and the capability to customize your system quickly during and after the installation. YaST actually stands for Yet another Setup Tool. YaST can be used to configure your entire system. Setup hardware, configure the network, system services and tune your security settings. All these tasks can be reached from the YaST Control Center.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »
It is popular for its easy use and attractive graphical interface

Bwahahahahaha  :o

Not the way I remember it

I remember it as a maze of disparate parts that made no sense, was impossible to navigate, and tried to do too much .. but then who am I to argue with the YaST portal  >:D

openSUSE, YaST and KDE 4.2 (and a 2month fight with a HPLIP-GUI panel applet that had a mind of its own) were why I ended up at Ubuntu's door just in time for 10.04 .. happy there for a year (as VinDSL said elsewhere 10.10 being the best Ubuntu to date) .. then they did 11.04 with Unity, so I ended up with Peppermint 2 :)
(there, * do* have something to thank Unity for)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:11:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 03:15:27 pm »
@VinDSL

I know what you mean, but can I ask what makes say Redhat or SUSE any more "enterprise class" than any other distro ?

Paid support contracts and outdated packages maybe ?

I didn't mean that in a good way.  I could just as easily thrown ms winders into the mix, but I was trying to be nice.

IMO, all those "enterprise class" vendors treat paying customers like an ATM machine.  It's all about money. 

Also, IMO, they treat the open "sores" crowd, the non-payees, with great disdain -- like, red-headed stepchildren.  Doesn't matter how much time you spend volunteering your time, trying to make their product(s) better, they'll always end up dispatching your recommendations with a belch.

Actually, this "enterprise class" treatment is what killed the (officially sanctioned) openSolaris community.  They got a new CEO, and he flatly told us to go pound salt.  He wasn't going to spend a penny supporting free software.  Really, I prefer things that way -- I'd rather get stabbed in the chest than in the back, you know?

Anyway, that's what I was hinting at, in a rather obtuse way.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 03:20:27 pm »
In that case I claim the right to act like my missus, and to completely and unreservedly change direction on everything I've ever said ;)
(which in my missus case quite probably includes "I do", and "by god, look at the size of that")
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:25:29 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
@ pcnetspec... 

LOL   :o
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:35 pm »
Where do I get this idea that it might be wise to change my mind? :-\

Offline dsplayname

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:33 pm »
I played with OpenSUSE 13.1 a little bit....it was nice.  YaST has( from what I've read here), improved a good bit.  It's just GUI for things I prefer to do through the terminal and text editors though, so I didn't use it much.   Zypper is the apt/yum equivalent for that stuff. It works fine, but is more to type than apt or yum.
  I really like their art direction and general look/feel.   Most of the software for OpenSuse is available through their web portal, with 1-click installs available in the form of web link buttons.  It's a very nice feature.   And, as already said, their build service/tools are good, as is their balance between stability(everything I tried was stable) and cutting-edge releases(most of what I tried was the latest and greatest versions of software).

Anyway, a developer named Ikey recommended it to me, so I gave it a try for a while; and liked it for the most part. I switched back to Peppermint for work on the P5 release, so I haven't given 13.2 a go yet.   My general impression of it was that it was a little bit more work to get initially setup than Ubuntu and it's children, but worked pretty much the same once everything was the way I wanted it.

freedom defined is freedom denied