Choose style:

Author Topic: Editing menu  (Read 2934 times)

Offline bvpainter

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 4
Editing menu
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:38 am »
How does one edit the peppermint menu. I  have items that I wish to remove but cannot find any facility to do this.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Editing menu
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:03:53 am »
Hello bvpainter,

The link below will give you an example of how to modify the menu.

Be careful, and good luck!  ;)

perknh

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,869.msg7464.html#msg7464
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:39:19 am »
Hi bvpainter, how's it going?  The advice perknh has given you is excellent for editing shortcuts in the menu structures.  If you want to edit the top level menus, it is a little more complicated.  I have added Radio Stations, News and TV Stations as top level menus to my own system.  See below:

Click on images to enlarge.

The following link provides instructions for adding Radio Stations.  The process is the same for whatever you are adding though; just the titles have different names and the links to icons will be of your choosing.

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you make backups of the the files you are editing before you start - just to be safe  ;)

Please note:  The following tutorial was written for Peppermint OS Four.  When you are asked to edit the file: /etc/xdg/peppermint/menus/lxde-applications.menuThis file does not exist in Peppermint Five.  Open and edit the following file instead:
Code: [Select]
gksudo gedit /etc/xdg/menus/peppermint-applications.menu
That said, the process is really very easy.  How to edit Top level Menu Entries.  I hope you find this useful - have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:24:18 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
Rather than getting multiple responses that may or may not cover what you're trying to do .. it would be helpful if you explained exactly what you're trying to remove/hide from the menu ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:20 pm »
Hello

Was about to post the same topic and found this one! 

I would like the facility to re-arrange the menu's, eg create a TV option,  radio option etc, and be able to add a favourite, or perhaps replace software manager with synaptic

From reading the above and following the link, it doesn't look like this is easy to do?

It's not a big issue for me though, I am very happy indeed to have found this distro!

If there isn't a menu editor GUI, is this something that could be developed for the future?
Thanks  :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »
Editing the menu as described in the link that perknh posted is actually really easy.

Replacing the Software Manager with Synaptic, for example is really simple.  It's one of the first things I do when I do a fresh Peppermint install.  All you need to do is open the file in perknh's post he linked to, scroll down and find the Software Manager part, and change it to this:

item {
       name=Synaptic Package Manager
       image=synaptic
       action=gksu synaptic
     }

Similarly, you can add items by creating more entries in this format.  Though, it is important that you know the exact command to start any program you want to add.  Also, it helps to know the name of the icon you want to use, though you can also point it to a specific image in a folder.  Once you're done editing the file, save and exit it. Then just run this in the terminal:

lxpanelctl restart

The panel will restart with the newly edited file.

As far as GUI tools, I don't remember if there are any that work with this menu.  The menu comes from LXDE and is generated "on the spot" by text files.  LXDE development is somewhat spotty, as I believe they have a pretty small dev team.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:46:13 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:05 am »
Thanks.

Will have to beg to differ about this being easy!! For the novice to average user, I think not!  For example, I would have no idea what the correct command I would need unless I was copying and pasting from somebody else's instructions - even then, I doubt I could be bothered with it all.

I have googled this and found a GUI called lxmed, but that doesn't really help - that allows you to add and remove items already in the pre-determined categories.There is no bloat in this distro to remove. It doesn't let you rename categories or add new ones.  It shows Education as an unused category on my menu.  I thought about renaming it to give me a new category (for radio and TV) but it wasn't having it!

Like I say, not a big issue, but ideally imo it would be good if customising the menu was easier

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 05:54:02 am »
Hi rickc, I know how you're feeling.  I wanted to customize the menu.  Unfortunately, there's no 100% reliable GUI option.  They're all more trouble than they're worth.  While they'll initially appear to work.  They'll also inevitably fail and end up irreversibly corrupting your menu.   With support for LXDE slowly dwindling away, as the transition to LXqt is progressing.  It's very unlikely this situation is ever going change, (Peppermint has no plans to move to LXqt).  The only viable way of customizing the menu, is to dive into the deep end and edit text files.  I found it really easy to pick up, once I'd dismissed the possibility of using a GUI.  I've created sections for Radio Stations, Magazines and Peppermint Admin.  The way of achieving it, is very easy and only takes about five minutes; once you've done it a couple of times.  I'll try to make time to write up a tutorial on customizing the menu.  If you want any help, give me a shout and I'll try to point you in the right direction.  In the meantime, I strongly suggest you lose any GUI you're experimenting with - good luck  ;).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:14:18 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:53:28 am »
Thanks.

Will have to beg to differ about this being easy!! For the novice to average user, I think not!  For example, I would have no idea what the correct command I would need unless I was copying and pasting from somebody else's instructions - even then, I doubt I could be bothered with it all.

I have googled this and found a GUI called lxmed, but that doesn't really help - that allows you to add and remove items already in the pre-determined categories.There is no bloat in this distro to remove. It doesn't let you rename categories or add new ones.  It shows Education as an unused category on my menu.  I thought about renaming it to give me a new category (for radio and TV) but it wasn't having it!

Like I say, not a big issue, but ideally imo it would be good if customising the menu was easier

I'm an average user.  I usually have to enter a command (with help) at least ten times before I start to remember it on my own.  But, yeah, LXDE, which is a big part of the base of Peppermint OS's desktop, requires a lot more editing text files than some of the other desktops.  Gnome, KDE and XFCE all have GUI tools for editing menus and other things that LXDE doesn't have.  I wouldn't necessarily call LXDE "beginner friendly" but, if you want to learn the inner workings of Linux, you'll find no better place to do it than in a desktop environment like this one, because it does less hand holding and requires more Linux commands to customize stuff.  I started off in Ubuntu, Mandriva, Mint, etc. and came to Peppermint after I'd already been using Linux for almost a year.  Using a desktop like this showed me exactly how much I didn't know at that point about the inner workings of Linux.  ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:30 am »
For example, I would have no idea what the correct command I would need unless I was copying and pasting from somebody else's instructions - even then, I doubt I could be bothered with it all.

Hi rickc,

Please give yourself a chance! I'm sure you are not stupid and editing text files is about as easy as it gets.

As for finding the correct command to use to start a program in a menu item, here are a few general rules and techniques:

In Peppermint Six (and almost all other Linux distros out there) the programs are typically found in a special directory known as

/usr/bin/

and many programs use their "everyday name" as the name that you find in this directory (and will use in the menu). However, most of these names do not begin with a capital letter.  ;)

Usually you can confirm this by opening a terminal window using the either the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl><Alt><t> or by opening your menu and finding the terminal item and clicking on it. Then let's say you have Firefox installed and want to know the correct command to start it. Enter this in the terminal:

whereis Firefox

and then press the Enter key. You will see the output:

Firefox:

which means that nothing was found.   :-[ So try entering firefox rather than Firefox in the terminal:

whereis firefox

and after pressing the Enter key the output will look like:

firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /etc/firefox /usr/lib/firefox < ... and some more stuff that I did not copy>

Notice that

/usr/bin/firefox

appears. This is the command to use to start Firefox from a menu item entry.

If you are not even sure of the name of a program that you are using, start the program and click on the program's menu bar entry named Help. Then check out the item named About and you can usually find the program's name listed there. For example, say you do not know the name of the file manager that is used in Peppermint Six. Using this technique, you will find the name is Nemo. From the terminal method given above and using nemo rather than Nemo you will also see that the command to use is

/usr/bin/nemo
  :o

Of course there will be some exceptions to all of this, but that is why this Forum is here !! Just ask us for help.  ;)

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
As AndyInMokum suggests, be VERY CAREFUL with menu editors such as lxmed / alacarte / menulibre / etc. .. attempting to use them to add categories (directories) to the menu is highly likely to result in a badly broken menu.

There is currently no 100% safe graphical menu editor for LXDE .. which is why we don't include one out of the box.

As he also suggests, if you require assistance with editing the menu categories manually .. just ask (mentioning what you're trying to add and where) :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:39:39 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rickc

• View Profile
Re: Editing menu (SOLVED)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:42:51 pm »
Great advice everyone cheers.

I'll uninstall lxmed  ;D