Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 72701 times)

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #390 on: January 02, 2020, 09:47:13 am »
Hello everyone!

I first tried Linux back in college (around 2009), and while I found it interesting, I just never put any serious effort into learning, and I pretty quickly dropped it for Windows.

I've just been getting back into it. I work in IT (basically as tier 1/2 tech support), and I haven't been learning much outside the basics. I wanted something that I could learn at home that would allow me to become more specialized, so I decided to learn more about Linux.

About 6 months ago, I started listening to the Going Linux podcast, and I've started branching out and listening to more. Came across Destination Linux, heard about Peppermint, and decided that's what I'd like to try. Only now getting around to setting it up though.

Also have done a few small Linux-related personal projects and am working on more. So far, I've set-up a Pi-Hole in my home and got an OpenVPN server hosted on Digital Ocean. Now working toward finding a Honeypot or IDS system to put on my home network as well as setting up a "Code-Server" and a Bitwarden server on Digital Ocean as well.

I'm excited to become a part of the Linux community and learn more about the cool and interesting technology/operating system/philosophy/way of life that is Linux and the Open Source movement.
How do signatures work again?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #391 on: January 02, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »
Hi esquire,

Welcome to the community and remember no question is stupid if you don't know the answer.  We are a friendly lot (if a little crazy too - haha) and look forward to helping you with your Linux adventures

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #392 on: January 02, 2020, 06:05:14 pm »
Welcome aboard, esquire   :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2020, 05:15:55 am »
I'm excited to become a part of the Linux community and learn more about the cool and interesting technology/operating system/philosophy/way of life that is Linux and the Open Source movement.

The more I read about Windows 10, the happier I am to be on this side of the railroad tracks.  Linux Peppermint OS, along with this terrific community forum, is a great place to explore and discuss the world of Linux.  Welcome to Peppermint, esquire. :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2020, 09:03:46 am »
Welcome to the forum esquire.

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin
« Reply #395 on: January 04, 2020, 01:52:47 pm »
Thank you!

Since I'm a relative novice, is there anything I can do to be a good community member?

So far, I plan on paying attention to the forums to learn more (and potentially help with issues in the future). But beyond than that, I don't have any brilliant ideas.
How do signatures work again?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 06, 2020, 04:27:47 am »
Since I'm a relative novice, is there anything I can do to be a good community member?

So, far, I plan on paying attention to the forums to learn more (and potentially help with issues in the future).

That's it, esquire!  We just try to help each other when we can. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline sotnas78

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:51 am »
I guess I skipped this part of the forum so I came back to set the record straight.

I'm Nuno, 42, I live near Lisbon in Portugal. I'm a lawyer but I've also been an enterpreneur in the last couple of years. I look with much interest to Linux since 2011, when I first tried Ubuntu 11.10.

I travel to Mozambique once or twice a year because I'm associated to a company that operates in there in the areas of education (higher education and also training vocational skills), water measuring and more recently in the area of aquaponics and agriculture.

Because I have a lot of contact with universities I still have the hope I can merge the skills of their teachers and students with one Linux Distro of reference. Sadly, I haven't been able to develop that part because my time is kind of limited (besides the professional part of my life, I'm a father of a 18 months girl).

Been experimenting Peppermint and I'm loving it. Hopefully, in the future my company will be run on Linux OSes solely.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2020, 09:35:23 am »
 ;)

Some folks want to reveal a bit about themselves, others do no... we do appreciate it when folks feel like they'd like to be a part of our forum community here though.

8)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2020, 08:15:45 am »
I guess I skipped this part of the forum so I came back to set the record straight.

I'm Nuno, 42, I live near Lisbon in Portugal. I'm a lawyer but I've also been an enterpreneur in the last couple of years. I look with much interest to Linux since 2011, when I first tried Ubuntu 11.10.

I travel to Mozambique once or twice a year because I'm associated to a company that operates in there in the areas of education (higher education and also training vocational skills), water measuring and more recently in the area of aquaponics and agriculture.

Because I have a lot of contact with universities I still have the hope I can merge the skills of their teachers and students with one Linux Distro of reference. Sadly, I haven't been able to develop that part because my time is kind of limited (besides the professional part of my life, I'm a father of a 18 months girl).

Been experimenting Peppermint and I'm loving it. Hopefully, in the future my company will be run on Linux OSes solely.

Welcome to Peppermint, sotnas78.  So glad to hear you're enjoying Peppermint. :)